By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's time to talk, once again, about voice acting in Zelda U.

Do you think Zelda U should be fully voice acted?

Yes 233 45.24%

No 282 54.76%

Total:515
spemanig said:
Nintentacle said:
Zelda U is basically taking what made Zelda 1 and Ocarina of Time popular, and trying to improve it: Super Zelda 3D World, if you will.

I doubt voice acting will happen for that reason.

Ocarina of Time is the antithesis of Zelda U. And even if it wasn't, OoT and Zelda 1 weren't popular on the basis that they didn't have VA. The only comparison to Zelda 1 is its openess. Antiquated story telling has nothing to do with it.

That's why I said, Super Zelda 3D World.

3D Land/World combine what made 2D Mario popular, with 3D elements, but are nothing like 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games.

Around the Network
Areal-Llort said:
I would love to hear a marketplace with people shouting across the place similar to Fable.

The time is... very late!

I read only in the diagonal, but the reading text caught my attention. What about captions? People read captions in films, in games, they have to if they don't master the language spoken in that medium, does that mean it's less immersive? That's nonsense.

gamingpotato7 said:
I read only in the diagonal, but the reading text caught my attention. What about captions? People read captions in films, in games, they have to if they don't master the language spoken in that medium, does that mean it's less immersive? That's nonsense.

If they can get good english voice actors as well as a good english localization of the script, then yes, I would much prefer that to captions.

geordash1 said:

Monologues are used constantly in movies and television, and hell, even in other video games. The scene you provided was actually a perfect example of a scene that would be improved with VA. Having a character monologue would not provide any difficulty in transitioning between written dialogue and voice acted.

And I agree that that particular line of dialogue is kind of stiff, but a. A good actor could make it work. And b. If you're upset about stiff dialogue, you should be pushing for a stronger script, not trying to limit their storytelling capabilities by restricting VA.

Monologues are used frequently in literature as well. You have given no explanation for why this scene would be improved with voice acting.

It has nothing to do with the script being stronger or weaker, it has to do with the style of the script. Not all novels are written like Tom Sawyer. Dialogue doesn't usually read in print how it would sound spoken. It does not mean the dialogue was poorly written, it means it was written to be read as opposed to spoken aloud.

And at no point did I attempt to restrict voice acting. My feelings on the matter are neutral. People who want or do not want voice acting have their reasons, some I agree with and some I do not. People who claim that the series would be ruined by voice acting or that voice acting is an absolute necessity in this day and age are the ones I push back against.

Around the Network
Areal-Llort said:
The game should have a mixture of voice acting for main cutscenes, while other parts of the game sticks with just reading text. Not everything needs to have voices, but just enough that it brings the world to life. I would love to hear a marketplace with people shouting across the place similar to Fable.

I disagree. Any character that speaks should have a voice. There's no reason I should have to scroll through text at all unless it's instructional text. Any living character that opens their mouth to text instantly ruins that "bringing the world to life" bit.

the_dengle said:

Monologues are used frequently in literature as well. You have given no explanation for why this scene would be improved with voice acting.

It has nothing to do with the script being stronger or weaker, it has to do with the style of the script. Not all novels are written like Tom Sawyer. Dialogue doesn't usually read in print how it would sound spoken. It does not mean the dialogue was poorly written, it means it was written to be read as opposed to spoken aloud.

And at no point did I attempt to restrict voice acting. My feelings on the matter are neutral. People who want or do not want voice acting have their reasons, some I agree with and some I do not. People who claim that the series would be ruined by voice acting or that voice acting is an absolute necessity in this day and age are the ones I push back against.

Fair enough, I want voice acting because I find it less of a chore to listen to dialogue rather than to button mash through dialogue boxes that just slow down the experience. Further, I find spoken dialogue would make for a much better and cinematic experience in general. If I had to choose between the two I would pick VA.

spemanig said:

I'm not saying that one is superior

spemanig said:

3. Voice acting would ruin Zelda's identity

No it wouldn't. It would improve it. Zelda may be "unique" in that it's one of the last AAA franchises to still not adopt full voice acting, but that is lowering the quality of the games. It lowers the animation quality, the efficiancy of processing information, and the pacing.

4. Zelda is doing good enough without voice acting.

Again, no it is not. It is doing worse without it. There's an entire part of the games that are less than mediocre, directly because voice acting isn't being adopted.

8.  Text is a Zelda tradition.

No, it's a bad habit. Bad habits are meant to be broken.

I don't see any way to interpret statements such as these other than "voice acting would make Zelda an objectively better experience," which is what I was getting at. Some people like voice acting, some people like Zelda without it. They are different experiences and neither is superior.

Your obsession with "immersion" is not helping. This is a concept I couldn't care less about. I have never had any trouble being "immersed" in a Zelda game as far as I'm aware, and if I did then the lack of voice acting certainly wasn't the cause. The only times I can recall a lack of voice acting feeling annoying are in games like Xenoblade where only half of the dialogue is spoken. I felt that the heart-to-hearts in particular ought to have been read aloud. But this minor annoyance did not cost me any immersion.

geordash1 said:

Fair enough, I want voice acting because I find it less of a chore to listen to dialogue rather than to button mash through dialogue boxes that just slow down the experience. Further, I find spoken dialogue would make for a much better and cinematic experience in general. If I had to choose between the two I would pick VA.

Good reasons, though you ought to be able to read faster than a character would speak. Usually in games with voice-acting I've finished reading the text box before they've gotten to the end of the first line. At that point it's a question of whether I want the audio to become a lot of half-sentences in a row cutting each other off.

I find it much less distracting when text boxes can be turned off for spoken parts. But that doesn't seem to be too common. Xenoblade lets you do it for some cutscenes.

"Cinematic" certainly isn't a word I would ever use to describe Zelda, voice acting or no. So it's not an issue to me. Nonetheless, given the choice I would also like to hear voice acting in a Zelda game. During some moments of Skyward Sword I thought it might be nice. Previous Zelda games didn't give me that feeling though.

mZuzek said:

Not really. They have quite a few major differences in structure and design, but they're not that opposite. Skyward Sword is the antithesis here.

I agree that SS is the most apposing game, but I do thing that the only 3D Zelda that resembles it in stucture is WW, as Aonuma pointed out.