By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon US December bestsellers thread - updated 01/01/15. AC X1 bundle #1, PS4 #15 & Destiny bundle #90

Dark_Feanor said:
Pionner said:

$399 was the launch price and hasn't changed since. Sony still has more moves to make. Those marketing deals are nothing really big. They both do it all the time. The PS4 actually is easier to drop in price. There was a article were Sony mentioned the hardware was designed to get cheaper much faster than PS3.

Well, may be they have more moves to make. But they didn´t make many last year but for the co-marketing deals.

However everything this last year points that Microsoft could pull more agressives price drops with some reseanable success. The Kinectless XOne is $50 cheaper for almost two months in the USA, Sony barely hold two weeks.

Surprising as it may seem this is the normal course of things when a product is selling higher than expected. When you exceed sales expectations you don't make price or product adjustments. And of course Destiny and Watchdogs deals were worked out well before PS4's stellar sales became evident as more than just a short term surge.

When your sales are bottoming out and things are not going according to plan then major price and product adjustments are essential.

Hence Xb one has had major adjustments, PS4 has not.

The question is are we merely seeing a short term surge for Xb one, or has it changed the game. The picture wil become more clear by the end of Q1 2015. And Sony may or may not feel like a response is necessary. In the interests of profit Sony might well be content to cede USA and UK to Xb one given that PS4 remains the global sales leader and only cut price according to their roughly pre-determined timetable. Or they might feel flush enough to put the boot in and be a little more agressive to try to retain it's top spot in all markets. Q1 2015 might point to possible strategies depending on whether profitability can be credibly projected for the 2016FY and hence give Sony some leeway. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Looks like Sony is trying it on a bit. Now on Amazon you have PS4+TLOUR (digital)+1 free game (the pick one of four deal)+camera for $399.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Console/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=zg_bs_videogames_13

That's pushing the effective price of PS4 down quite a bit. Though you have to want the camera for it to be a worthwhile deal. TBH the only benefit of the camera to me so far is facial recognition when logging in.

In terms of effective console price it's almost the same as the $350 ACU bundle. But I think people are generally more attracted to a $350 sticker price than a $399 sticker price.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Looks like Sony is trying it on a bit. Now on Amazon you have PS4+TLOUR (digital)+1 free game (the pick one of four deal)+camera for $399.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Console/dp/B00BGA9WK2/ref=zg_bs_videogames_13

That's pushing the effective price of PS4 down quite a bit. Though you have to want the camera for it to be a worthwhile deal. TBH the only benefit of the camera to me so far is facial recognition when logging in.

In terms of effective console price it's almost the same as the $350 ACU bundle. But I think people are generally more attracted to a $350 sticker price than a $399 sticker price.

xb1 is dropping down on amazon while ps4 is gaining noticed it was out of the top 20 till recently when it got to 17th now its up to 13th i believe it will be number 1 by tomorrow

Play Me

about to pass it on hrly 8 vs 9 dont think ive seen the ps4 in top 20 hrly let alone top 10 since after BF sellout npd Dec is gonna be good, how do you search by month like in the OP?

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
about to pass it on hrly 8 vs 9 dont think ive seen the ps4 in top 20 hrly let alone top 10 since after BF sellout npd Dec is gonna be good, how do you search by month like in the OP?

The monthly positions are still the same. You won't see the effect of this until maby next week or 2. It doesn't really update everyday like it says.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Around the Network

Yep and price was one of the biggest reason why ps4 was on top and this proves it. Now I like how the other side says Xbox sold more because it was cheaper....funny how they now accept the price was the issue.

Cartmanbrah said:
Yep and price was one of the biggest reason why ps4 was on top and this proves it. Now I like how the other side says Xbox sold more because it was cheaper....funny how they now accept the price was the issue.

then explain to me why the PS4 outsold the X1 in all the other months when both the PS4 and X1 had a 400 dollar price...

price is a big factor? yes, undeniably yes... but there is more than just price when deciding a purchase.

edit: sorry kind of missread that, i just noticed you said "one of the biggest reason", not the only reason...

also just went to the Hourly sellers and PS4 is at 9 and X1 at 8, seems like the PS4 have gone up quite a lot if it was at 50 yesterday, but i still have no doubt that the X1 will win this month, just because of that price difference, plus on the holidays theres a LOT of parents buying this things for their kids and that 50 dollar difference is gonna seal the deal.

BraLoD said:
estebxx said:
Cartmanbrah said:

then explain to me why the PS4 outsold the X1 in all the other months when both the PS4 and X1 had a 400 dollar price...

price is a big factor? yes, undeniably yes... but there is more than just price when deciding a purchase.

Some people just don't understand. The PS4 is still at $399 on amazon and it's rising so quickly, it didn't have any price cut yet. Not even on Black Friday.
When I saw a PS4 price cut it was not Sony's, was a store on ebay and that shit sold like water in the middle of the desert. Was going like 1 PS4/second sold.

Price does have a good weight, and Microsoft can take advantage of it by having a lot more money to spare and a weaker console (so cheaper to build in theory).

It's just obvious, at the same price the PS4 see no competiton, so Microsoft better try to keep it's console cheaper this whole gen.
I'm just wainting to see how much this thing will sell next year with all that big games coming out the whole year, Sony better be making as much PS4's as they can.

my big question is: will microsoft really get the price back at 400? or will they make the price cut permanent?

because if they decide to keep it permanent, then Sony is gonna need exclusive games every month to have a chance at winning, its a no brainer that it will sell well but it wont win any NPD if they dont have at least new exclusive games coming.

but then again i doubt microsofts idea of bussines is bleeding money (you dont become rich by bleeding money...), plus if they keep the price cut they are forcing sony to make a price cut as well, and then we are back to "level 1", and microsoft would have to do another price cut to keep selling more... and it would just turn into a vicious cycle were everyone losses money...

estebxx said:

my big question is: will microsoft really get the price back at 400? or will they make the price cut permanent?

because if they decide to keep it permanent, then Sony is gonna need exclusive games every month to have a chance at winning, its a no brainer that it will sell well but it wont win any NPD if they dont have at least new exclusive games coming.

but then again i doubt microsofts idea of bussines is bleeding money (you dont become rich by bleeding money...), plus if they keep the price cut they are forcing sony to make a price cut as well, and then we are back to "level 1", and microsoft would have to do another price cut to keep selling more... and it would just turn into a vicious cycle were everyone losses money...

I think this will be a permanent choice. They have little options otherwise. Despite the price difference Sony has two AAA titles releasing on the first few months of 2015 while ms has nothing to counter them - The Order 1886, and Bloodborne. Coupled with the fact that it SHOULD cost more anyway due to better hardware and I could certainly see MS having to fight yet another uphill battle.

The price wars going on are not as quick to happen as you think, everything's executed like a ballet, precise with every move meant to make the most impact. The thing is Sony has had one price since launch. They have completely ignored MS existence and this move has paid dividends, so it seems a bit irrational for me to think Sony will get involved. 

Ms unbundled kinect, no response. Throws in Titanfall, nothing. Starts giving other games away, nothing. Now we have a 50$ price cut and once again I think it will fall on deaf ears - all Sony has to do is walk on stage at E3 and announce a new $300 price tag. 

estebxx said:
Cartmanbrah said:

edit: sorry kind of missread that, i just noticed you said "one of the biggest reason", not the only reason...

also just went to the Hourly sellers and PS4 is at 9 and X1 at 8, seems like the PS4 have gone up quite a lot if it was at 50 yesterday, but i still have no doubt that the X1 will win this month, just because of that price difference, plus on the holidays theres a LOT of parents buying this things for their kids and that 50 dollar difference is gonna seal the deal.

It's also worth noting that, at the same price, the ps4 is still the better deal. It's pretty common knowledge that it's the more powerful of the two. For Xbox to have any sort of advantage, they have to undercut Sony by $50, or give free games with the system. There's just no other way around it.