By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does releasing a console a year before the competition actually help?

Does a year start ever help?

Nope 34 35.79%

Hasn't but could 61 64.21%

Total:95

It worked pretty good for 360 I think, by the time the PS3 and Wii came out MS already got a decently sized fanbase and great third party support.

Around the Network

only if the your console is ready, the 360 was released way too early!

bouzane said:
bowserthedog said:
bouzane said:
bowserthedog said:
Kerotan said:
bowserthedog said:

wii u will do well to get to 20M untis not 30M. 

And it was in Nintys control. Nothing was stopping them being the creators of the iphone. The evolution was from handheld gaming devices to smartphones or tablets. Ninty just weren't as smart as apple and now find them selves in a hard place. 

But there console still would have been less popular had they created the iphone. Makes no difference.

Based on history at the end of Nintendo's peak sales year for a console they have reached  50%ish of lifetime sales. So right now next year is looking like peak year for wiiu and will end the year around 15 to 16 million. Double that and lifetime sales are around 30 million.  I'd love to know what a sub 20 million projection is based on.

I'm guessing that it's based on logic :P

The WiiU is tracking behind the GameCube which itself sold 21 million units. Additionally, third party support has all but ceased and Nintendo has very few major franchises that haven't already made an appearance on the system. There is absolutely no way that the WiiU will come anywhere near 30 million sales.

It doesn't need 3rd part cross platform support.. It's getting plenty of 3rd part support in develping games though.  Smash Bros and Star Fox come to mind. If the wiiu wasn't gaining steam each year i would agree with a sub 20 million assessment but by the end of next year if the same level of growth continues it will be well beyond the gamecube pace.

It's one thing to say that a major franchise has been tapped.  But Zelda hasn't really been tapped yet. Remakes and spinoffs don't rival a brand new Zelda game. Nintendo is also bringing back some major franchises like Star Fox and developing new major franchises like Splatoon and Xenoblade. And they still haven't done an Animal Crossing or Metroid which seem to be 2016 franchises. Nintendo is supporting the wiiu with better software than it did with gamecube. Next year they already have something like 12 exclusives announced. I just don't see the system not selling faster next year than it did this year. Strategically the wiiu is in a much better position than the gamecube to have longer legs. It's a second console and only becomes a better value propisiton as a second console as time progresses.

The WiiU isn't getting plenty of third party support, I can't think of any major upcoming third party WiiU games.

Smash Bros isn't exactly having a massive impact and I doubt that Star Fox, a game which sells 3-4 million units at best is going to do much either.

The WiiU is going to need to gain a lot more steam just to keep up with the GameCube, let alone surpass it by 9 million units.

I already accounted for Zelda which has never been a blockbuster. Zelda is nowhere near as popular as Mario Kart which itself did little to, excuse my pun, drive WiiU sales.

Xenoblade is not very popular and it had virtually no impact on WiiU adoption. I also doubt that Splatoon will do much better.

Metroid games sell 2-3 million at best meaning that they too have little to no impact. It's a pity because I love the series (except for Other M) but it's a fact.

Animal Crossing is pretty popular on handheld but that success never really translated to console. Even if the next installment exceeded expectations I wouldn't expect a miracle.

Sorry but I just don't see anything turning around the WiiU's fortunes, neither a price cut nor Nintendo's stable of B-listers (strictly from a popularity standpoint, not quality). I'd love to see Nintendo surprise us with a wildly successful Pokemon MMO or a Metroid re-re-re-reboot that actually achieves mass market appeal but I'm not counting on it. Barring such unexpected developments I'm expecting the WiiU to settle down at around 18 million lifetime.

I'm not expecting anything to turn around. Just that the trend of year of year growth will continue next year.  Animal crossing sold over 3 million on gamecube and sold over 4 million on wii.. Game doesn't appeal to me but it brings in a different audience than other nintendo games. It targets the female demographic more. Xenoblade isn't out yet but will again pull in a different audience the hardcore JRPG audience.

Some people don't get it. It's a second console purchase.  The more great exclusive games it has and the lower the price the more likely gamers are to pick it up. The value as a second console just continues to increase as more exclusive content arrives on the system.

So based on 2 days of Smash sales in the united states you're suggesting it didn't have impact lol?  We won't know the impact until next week's numbers.

First of all we need to clear up some facts. A company's first obligation toward its shareholders is to make money. Being number 1 in terms of unit sales doesn't necessarily apply to making the most money.
Sometimes the costs releated to grabbing a larger market share are higher than the the extra money you make. Xbox vs GameCube is probably the best example of that, where Xbox was bleeding money during its whole life cycle, while GameCube actually was in the black quite early in its life cycle and stayed their for most of its life.
In some ways the same can be argued with Nintendo 64 vs PlayStation, where Nintendo 64 in terms of unit sales was 1/3 of PlayStation, but still managed to make money almost equal to Sony's monster success.

What does this have to do with being first to market? Well, considering the prime objective of a new hardware release is to make money (both longterm and short term), the timing of the release is mainly based on the need to overlap the end of its predecessor. In other words;

1. Dreamcast was released early because Saturn was dying, and Sega needed new cash flow.

2. Xbox 360 was released early because Xbox was dying.

3. Wii U was released first of this generation because the Wii was dying.

etc.

In other words, selling most units isn't as relevant as people seem to think. Most essential is to make as much money as possible on every single unit sold.

bowserthedog said:

I'm not expecting anything to turn around. Just that the trend of year of year growth will continue next year.  Animal crossing sold over 3 million on gamecube and sold over 4 million on wii.. Game doesn't appeal to me but it brings in a different audience than other nintendo games. It targets the female demographic more. Xenoblade isn't out yet but will again pull in a different audience the hardcore JRPG audience.

Some people don't get it. It's a second console purchase.  The more great exclusive games it has and the lower the price the more likely gamers are to pick it up. The value as a second console just continues to increase as more exclusive content arrives on the system.

So based on 2 days of Smash sales in the united states you're suggesting it didn't have impact lol?  We won't know the impact until next week's numbers.

The slight upward trend that the WiiU is experiencing will not allow it reach 30 million and a tiny handful of modestly popular games is not going to help much. It will reach at most 9 million by the end of the year and I doubt that it will even reach 14 million by the end of of next year. You keep talking about the WiiU as the choice second console but what is this based on? After I buy a PS4 I will probably end up buying an XBOne because I don't want to play the same old Nintendo games again and I'm hardly the only one taking this approach. The GameCube had plenty of the same games and look how that turned out. Again, the WiiU doesn't have the slightest prayer of ever reaching 30 million LTD, it just isn't going to happen unless something drastic happens.

Around the Network

I agree with the point... but what's up with your 3rd Gen Atari in 1983 and the sales of the Genesis?