By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If I were to buy ONE Pokemon game per (pkmn) generation, which would you suggest?

Tagged games:

Well, what is it?

Initial Pair 2 6.25%

Third Version / Sequels 16 50.00%

Remakes 2 6.25%

Just buy them all loser (see results) 12 37.50%

Total:32
VanceIX said:

I don't mean buy the game the day it comes out. Wait a year or two (or even in to the next gen) and buy it cheap on sale or part of a buy 1 get 1 free deal (if you are in the US, Toys R Us and Best Buy offer these a lot).

If you can wait just a year or two, you can get the remake for a lot cheaper. Also gives you time not to get burned out by the series.

Ehh, but I have friends who play Pokemon and I'd rather play through alongside them. Would be kind of boring to be playing ORAS while they're on the first games of gen 7, or even while they're on Z.

And as I mentioned, Pokemon games really don't drop much in price. You certainly can't get them for "a lot cheaper" after a couple of years.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
VanceIX said:

I don't mean buy the game the day it comes out. Wait a year or two (or even in to the next gen) and buy it cheap on sale or part of a buy 1 get 1 free deal (if you are in the US, Toys R Us and Best Buy offer these a lot).

If you can wait just a year or two, you can get the remake for a lot cheaper. Also gives you time not to get burned out by the series.

Ehh, but I have friends who play Pokemon and I'd rather play through alongside them. Would be kind of boring to be playing ORAS while they're on the first games of gen 7, or even while they're on Z.

And as I mentioned, Pokemon games really don't drop much in price. You certainly can't get them for "a lot cheaper" after a couple of years.

I think you've already made up your mind then.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

I made up my mind for this gen last year when I bought X/Y. ORAS looks cool but I don't want to play another Pokemon game right now. I'm sure this time next year I'll be thinking the same about Z. But 10 years after Z there will be HorizontalX/VerticalY.

Next gen I'm thinking Sinnoh? I guess. I will have skipped Hoenn yet again. I wish there was more time between releases.

the_dengle said:
VanceIX said:

I made up my mind for this gen last year when I bought X/Y. ORAS looks cool but I don't want to play another Pokemon game right now. I'm sure this time next year I'll be thinking the same about Z. But 10 years after Z there will be HorizontalX/VerticalY.

Next gen I'm thinking Sinnoh? I guess. I will have skipped Hoenn yet again. I wish there was more time between releases.

Up to you. Personally, if you aren't buying at least one of the remakes, you lose out on a lot of the experience.

Also, it's actually pretty long between titles, unless you plan on getting each version every year. A remake and the third version generally come out once every 3 years, so once you play a remake you'll have three years (or more) to wait until the next one. Same with the third versions.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

Up to you. Personally, if you aren't buying at least one of the remakes, you lose out on a lot of the experience.

Also, it's actually pretty long between titles, unless you plan on getting each version every year. A remake and the third version generally come out once every 3 years, so once you play a remake you'll have three years (or more) to wait until the next one. Same with the third versions.

Aye, but the problem is that they come out in consecutive years! I'd be buying two Pokemon games in two years and then no Pokemon games for the next two or three, rather than one game every three years.

Around the Network

Gen 1: Red/Blue
Gen 2: Gold/Silver
Gen 3: Emerald
Gen 4: Platinum
Gen 5: Black/White 2 or HeartGold/SoulSilver (both have some of the best replay value in the entire series, can't decide)
Gen 6: X/Y

HyrulianScrolls said:
Gen 2: Gold/Silver
Gen 5: Black/White 2 or HeartGold/SoulSilver (both have some of the best replay value in the entire series, can't decide)
Gen 6: X/Y

HeartGold/SoulSilver are gen 4. Also, not Crystal over GS?

Gen 1: Red or Blue
Gen 2: Crystal
Gen 5: Black or White
Gen 6: X or Y (Hopefully, Z)

Remakes and major overhauls (B2/W2 and Yellow) do not give a good representation of what that generation had to offer as they change too much or, in the case of remakes, are retreading old ground.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Gen 2: Crystal
Gen 4: HGSS
Gen 5: B2W2
Gen 6: Z hopefully!

So generally the remake/sequels is the best shout. They're usually the best in every department.