By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 56 YEARS!!

In summary, Taylor Swift becomes the first woman EVER in the history of the hot 100 to replace her self at #1.. Last week Shake It Off was the #1 song in the country, and her new single Blank Space jumps to #1 replacing Shake it Off.

Taylor Swift Makes Hot 100 History With 'Blank Space'

Taylor Swift makes history on the Billboard Hot 100, where her single "Blank Space" blasts from No. 13 to No. 1. As the song dethrones her prior smash, "Shake It Off," after four weeks atop the chart, Swift becomes the first woman in the Hot 100's 56-year history to succeed herself at the top spot.

"Space," released on Big Machine Records and promoted to radio by Republic Records, takes over at No. 1 following the Nov. 10 release of its official video.

Meanwhile, Sam Smith and Nick Jonas each surge into the Hot 100's top 10 and Maroon 5 takes over atop the Radio Songs chart with "Animals."

It's Wednesday, the day that the sales/airplay/streaming-based Hot 100 is tallied, and we've got some blank spaces (baby) … let's see whose names get written in the chart's top 10 and more.

With her coronation, Swift tallies her third Hot 100 No. 1, following "Shake" (which falls to No. 3) and 2012's three-week leader "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together."

Swift is, amazingly, the first woman in the Hot 100's history to succeed herself at No. 1. She's just the 10th act to do so overall, following the Beatles, who scored three toppers in a row ("I Want to Hold Your Hand," "She Loves You" and "Can't Buy Me Love") in 1964; Boyz II Men (1994); Puff Daddy (as he was then billed) (1997); Ja Rule (2002); Nelly (2002); OutKast (2004); Usher (2004); T.I. (2008); and the Black Eyed Peas (2009). (Puff Daddy and Ja Rule each doubled up thanks to a lead and featured role.)

Thanks to "Shake" and "Space," Swift is the only artist with two Hot 100 No. 1s this year.

Plus, parent album 1989 earns the increasingly rare honor of seeing its first two singles top the Hot 100. The album is the first to send its first two singles (officially promoted to radio) to the top since Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' The Heist ("Thrift Shop," "Can't Hold Us") last year. It's the first by a woman since Adele's 21 ("Rolling in the Deep," "Someone Like You") in 2011-12.

And, with its 13-1 vault, "Space" logs the biggest jump to the apex since Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball" swung 22-1 on Sept. 28, 2013, also after the release of its official (and oh-so-buzzed-about) video. ("Shake" became just the 22nd single in Hot 100 history to debut at No. 1, while "We Are Never …" flew 72-1 following its first full week of retail availability after it initially charted from early airplay.)

How did "Space" rocket to the top of the Hot 100? Its video arrival spurs the song's No. 1 debut on the Streaming Songs chart with 19.2 million U.S. streams in the week ending Nov. 16, according to Nielsen BDS. (Of the sum, almost all is from clicks for the clip on Vevo on YouTube.) It's the second-highest weekly streaming total this year; Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" snared 32.1 million, after its video premiere, as well, on the Sept. 6 chart.

The "Space" video's premiere likewise drives sales, as the track returns for a second week atop Digital Songs (2-1; 328,000 downloads sold, up 100 percent).

While still fairly new at radio, "Space" is moving fast: in its second week on Radio Songs, it bounds 23-9 with a 42 percent increase to 70 million in all-format audience, according to BDS. Just three songs since 2006 have reached the Radio Songs top 10 in two weeks or less … and "Shake" and "Space" are two of them (two weeks each); Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" launched at No. 6 in 2011.

All the activity leads to "Space" earning the Hot 100's top Digital and Airplay Gainer awards.

As Swift claims the Hot 100's top rank (becoming the 1,040th No. 1 in the chart's history), Meghan Trainor's former eight-week Hot 100 No. 1 "All About That Bass" holds at No. 2. It slips 1-3 after eight weeks atop Digital Songs (126,000, down 34 percent); stays at No. 2 on Streaming Songs, which it led for nine weeks (11.9 million, down 3 percent); and drops 4-5 on Radio Songs (95 million, down 20 percent), which it ruled for three frames.

After spending its first 12 weeks on the Hot 100 at either No. 1 or 2 (four at the former), "Shake" falls 1-3. As on the Hot 100, "Space" replaces "Shake" atop Streaming Songs (where it reached No. 1 last week).

Maroon 5's "Animals" backtracks to No. 4 from its No. 3 Hot 100 high, but crowns Radio Songs (3-1; 138 million, up 9 percent). It's the band's fourth Radio Songs No. 1, tying it with Destiny's Child for the second-most among groups; Boyz II Men lead the category with five. (Rihanna has the most Radio Songs No. 1s of all acts: 12). At seven weeks, "Animals" joins "Bass" as the second-fastest-rising Radio Songs rulers this year; only Pharrell Williams' reached the top more quickly (six weeks).

"Animals" ascends 5-4 on Digital Songs (124,000, up 8 percent) and holds at No. 13 on Streaming Songs (5.9 million, up 10 percent).

Rounding out the Hot 100's top five, Tove Lo's No. 3 hit "Habits (Stay High)" retreats 4-5, as it cedes the Radio Songs summit to "Animals"; "Habits" drops 1-2 on the airplay list, although with a 2 percent gain to 135 million. It ranks at No. 9 on both Digital Songs and Streaming Songs.

Hozier's "Take Me to Church" reaches a new Hot 100 peak, hiking 8-6. It tops the subscription services-based On-Demand Songs chart for a second week (3.4 million, up 11 percent) and leads Hot Rock Songs for a fifth week.

Bobby Shmurda's "Hot Boy" descends to No. 7 from its No. 6 Hot 100 high, while commanding Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Rap Songs for a second week each.

At No. 8 on the Hot 100, Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj's No. 3-peaking "Bang Bang" tumbles from No. 5.

Sam Smith earns his third Hot 100 top 10, and second as a lead act, as "I'm Not the Only One" climbs 11-9. He first reached No. 7 as featured on Disclosure's "Latch" and No. 2 with his own "Stay With Me" (both in August). Only two other acts have tallied at least three top 10s this year: Grande (four) and Iggy Azalea (three), making Smith the only male to achieve the feat in 2014. "One" pushes 7-6 on Digital Songs (93,000, up 10 percent) and 16-13 on Radio Songs (61 million, up 11 percent). It slides 16-19 on Streaming Songs, but with a 7 percent rise to 5.1 million.

Nick Jonas likewise reaches the Hot 100's top 10, as "Jealous" jumps 23-10. It's his first top 10 on his own after tallying two in 2008 as part of the Jonas Brothers ("Burnin' Up," No. 5; and "Tonight," No. 8). "Jealous" charges 16-7 on Digital Songs (83,000, up 38 percent); 43-15 on Streaming Songs (5.5 million, up 85 percent); and 27-22 on Radio Songs (50 million, up 12 percent).

Visit Billboard.com tomorrow (Nov. 20), when all rankings, including the Hot 100 in its entirety and Digital Songs, Radio Songs and Streaming Songs, will refresh, as they do each Thursday. The latest charts will also appear in the next issue of Billboard magazine (on sale on Friday, Nov. 2

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Around the Network

Oh......................................................................good.

Impressive. But did you know that this isn't a Taylor Swift fansite? Nothing against this, but it seems all your threads are about Taylor Swift.

LemonSlice said:
Impressive. But did you know that this isn't a Taylor Swift fansite? Nothing against this, but it seems all your threads are about Taylor Swift.

It's a music section to the website. Even Taylor Swift's name is in the discription to the music forum here. There's nothing wrong with posting threads about the most talented artist in the history of music.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

axumblade said:
On a side note, I didn't realize Hozier's song was as big as it is.

It's kind of impressive. I secretly want to like Blank Space because in this one is paints the scenario that she's the crazy one instead of her exes. :P

I love how she flipped it. lol It's so clever. Taylor has such an amazing personality.

But yeah, that Hozier song is gonna end up eventually hitting #1. It's smashing the charts.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
LemonSlice said:

This isn't Tswiftchartz? :/ damn. I shall exit as well.

I really want to request to the admins that a photo of Taylor Swift be included on the logo of VGChartz. She's such a huge part of this world and website.

axumblade said:
LemonSlice said:

This isn't Tswiftchartz? :/ damn. I shall exit as well.

If only you have found out sooner, you wouldn't have wasted so much precious time. ;)

You can't be serious.

go away

Ps3 said:
LemonSlice said:

It's a music section to the website. Even Taylor Swift's name is in the discription to the music forum here. There's nothing wrong with posting threads about the most talented artist in the history of music.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"