By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2014 NPD Thread!

Deeds said:
DonFerrari said:
Deeds said:

Oh so that's why the numbers were being withheld? PS4 and XBO sales plummeted while Wii U jumped YOY? So when the Wii U outsells both will "they" blow up NPD headquarters? LMAO.

Nintendo usually says their number, Sony almost never say anything besides "won the month" but never numbers, MS says it in a way that is favourable... now for GAF leaks, it didn't happened because the 2 leakers that gave clearer info were out because of ban or fear.

I'll make a bold prediction, when the Wii U outsells the PS4 and Xbox One NPD will be [completely and utterly opaque]. Not even software sales will be shown. Nothing, zip, nada. lol

You could make that bet against the entire VGC putting your house on the bet and wouldn't make a difference because WiiU wouldn't ever do it... the last chance it get to make big is with SSBB (all other Mario and MK) already out. I don't see WiiU having 1000% rise in sales to pass both in November, even more when X1 is doing great and Black Friday will do wonders for PS4 (new bundle announced) and X1.

69k against 135 and 250 (just putting random numbers inside what leak said)... we know X1 and PS4 will rise around 4x... that would make 500-600k for X1 and 1M for PS4 for the month (could vary greatly, but I'm certain at least one console will make 1M this month)... for WiiU to go from 70k to 1M would be completely impossible this month.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Deeds said:

I've seen this play out before. LMAO. I remember the days when people said the Wii would never outsell the Xbox 360's year headstart much less the PS3 and then when the Wii began killing everything, M-create threads on GAF only went to two pages. Hahahahahahahahaha. Is that going to happen here too. Time will tell.

Wii U has been out for 2 years. Sold 7 million. There is no killing coming for Wii U

The guy compares downplay done before Wii released to WiiU proven poor track record.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

jlmurph2 said:
Deeds said:

I've seen this play out before. LMAO. I remember the days when people said the Wii would never outsell the Xbox 360's year headstart much less the PS3 and then when the Wii began killing everything, M-create threads on GAF only went to two pages. Hahahahahahahahaha. Is that going to happen here too. Time will tell.

Wii U has been out for 2 years. Sold 7 million. There is no killing coming for Wii U

Wii was at 35m in the same timeframe.

DonFerrari said:
Deeds said:
DonFerrari said:
Deeds said:

Oh so that's why the numbers were being withheld? PS4 and XBO sales plummeted while Wii U jumped YOY? So when the Wii U outsells both will "they" blow up NPD headquarters? LMAO.

Nintendo usually says their number, Sony almost never say anything besides "won the month" but never numbers, MS says it in a way that is favourable... now for GAF leaks, it didn't happened because the 2 leakers that gave clearer info were out because of ban or fear.

I'll make a bold prediction, when the Wii U outsells the PS4 and Xbox One NPD will be [completely and utterly opaque]. Not even software sales will be shown. Nothing, zip, nada. lol

You could make that bet against the entire VGC putting your house on the bet and wouldn't make a difference because WiiU wouldn't ever do it... the last chance it get to make big is with SSBB (all other Mario and MK) already out. I don't see WiiU having 1000% rise in sales to pass both in November, even more when X1 is doing great and Black Friday will do wonders for PS4 (new bundle announced) and X1.

69k against 135 and 250 (just putting random numbers inside what leak said)... we know X1 and PS4 will rise around 4x... that would make 500-600k for X1 and 1M for PS4 for the month (could vary greatly, but I'm certain at least one console will make 1M this month)... for WiiU to go from 70k to 1M would be completely impossible this month.

Kekekekeke. Who said anything about this month? I'm thinking long term hombre. As for sales of Wii U, maybe it will go up or down, but something else may drop far faster due to..... ooops I said to much. >:(

Back to the conversation at hand before it got derailed by the same guy two days in a row:
I also think PS4 had a bigger % drop, but that should not be surprising. We have September numbers, and we know it was almost 2:1 on the wings of Destiny bundle.
Of course sales will drop with no games as huge, exclusives performing badly (one much worse than the other), no bundles and incentives...
And of course PS4 should suffer a bigger drop to bring the ratio under 2:1 (maybe it's 1.75:1, maybe 1.25:1, that we cannot know).

As far as PR, nothing unusual about it this month, just standard #1 announcement from one side, and a standard pre-NPD deflection from the other...

However, I am sure both sides will have a much lengthier PR statement next month, expect percentages and numbers galore.

Around the Network
Deeds said:
DonFerrari said:
Deeds said:

Kekekekeke. Who said anything about this month? I'm thinking long term hombre. As for sales of Wii U, maybe it will go up or down, but something else may drop far faster due to..... ooops I said to much. >:(

I though you were talking about outselling both consoles not just one... but anyway WiiU would need to 3x their baseline in USA to have better than X1 or 5x to better PS4. I don't think that will happen in the feasible future.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Man, VGC without NPD numbers is doomed. They already make mistakes in the hundreds of thousands even when they update with monthly US and weekly Japanese numbers, let alone now. Post holiday adjustments are going to be epic.

They will still have shipment numbers at least for Wii U and PS4 to stay benchmarked with. If MS keep putting out combined numbers it'll make things a bit tricky with Xb one, but obviously Xb one shipments can be reasonably estimated. As long as the gap is 2 million or less for PS4, 1-1.5 million for Xb one and 500K for Wii U.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

A moment.
So, XO sell some like 170K?
Possible 3DS>XOne this NPD?

According to VGChartz 3DS have close this number.

drake_tolu said:
A moment.

Using VGC numbers for one and NPD assumption on leak for other is a receipt for disaster...

DonFerrari said:
drake_tolu said:
A moment.

Using VGC numbers for one and NPD assumption on leak for other is a receipt for disaster...

Ok, but is for sure possible that this NPD 3DS have overtracked XOne.