By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2014 NPD Thread!

drake_tolu said:
Where are the numbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer's?

LMAO. Go look at shipment numbers. That's all you are going to get.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
Deeds said:

LOL! Where are the numbers? Why is Japan so open with sales numbers, yet NPD and the leakers are so secretive? I guess [certain] companies can pressure NPD to try to hide sales numbers, but one thing they can't hide is disclosure of profits and losses. Oh well, back to Bayonetta 2. :P

It isn't some conspiracy, NPD is a research firm, the numbers are given to those who pay for them, leakers are in breach of the subscription agreement. If they released them to everyone why would anyone bother paying for them!

that's  mean the company that pay for the NPD number (SONY, MICROSOFT, NINTENDO) have the right to publish it because they the one who pay right? if they have the right why it's hard to get the numbers.

Oh and for anyone who doesn't know, NPD subtracts returns from their sales estimates. Therefore if a console sells 200,000 units in Sept but has 100,000 returned to the store in the same month, NPD counts that console's Sept sales as 100,000. Pretty reasonable eh? (I remember when GAF was shocked by this reveal) That's why I'd love to see the numbers but alas they are being withheld. *shrugs* Oh well.... back to B2.

I even regret tagging this thread.

Deeds said:

Oh and for anyone who doesn't know, NPD subtracts returns from their sales estimates. Therefore if a console sells 200,000 units in Sept but has 100,000 returned to the store in the same month, NPD counts that console's Sept sales as 100,000. Pretty reasonable eh? (I remember when GAF was shocked by this reveal) That's why I'd love to see the numbers but alas they are being withheld. *shrugs* Oh well.... back to B2.

What makes you expect a high amount of returns?

Around the Network
Leadified said:
Deeds said:

What makes you expect a high amount of returns?

I dont, I'm just saying that the [actual] sales numbers are higher that what NPD states because every console has a percentage of returns. As for the percentage of returns for each console.......?  Only NPD knows what that number is. From now on, I suggest people should just stick to shipments, lol.

VXIII said:
I even regret tagging this thread.

I thought countless Final Fantasy threads might have given you immunity at this point.

69k for U is too low...

Wasn't estimated on Gaf for Oct 2013 50-60k for Wii U...?!?

http://nintendoeverything.com/october-2014-npd-nintendos-response-smash-3ds-has-sold-1-million-units/

Wii U could be 75-90k...

Deeds said:

Whew. Bayonetta 2 sure is a blast. :D LOL, as for your post, I remember the days when NPD was (like Media Create) shared openly and freely for years and years, then suddenly after [certain consoles started to fail (lol)] NPD started to go dark. First they started to combine game SKUs, then they started to delay the sales releases, then NPD stats started to deliberately leak here and there and now NPD is completely opaque. As for your post about shareholders, I'm sure GM shareholders are happy that Cadillacs are piling up at dealerships with 166 days' supply of the ATS at the end of September, and 161 days' supply of the CTS which is major channel stuffing. Shipment numbers can be manipulated, but "real" sales numbers can only be hidden. ;)

So who are you implying is currently trying to hide numbers? ^^ We know the PS4 is selling incredibly well, and we know the X1 also has strong sales, so that only leaves... :)

In reality, regardless to what was or wasn't in the past, NPD make money by giving these numbers to their clients. As the leaker over on GAF said last month, NPD were beginning to get pissed off by how widespread the leaks were becoming. They tolerated it, but they weren't happy. When said leaker asked that GAF find ways to make it harder for the numbers to spread, people jumped down their throat so the leaker asked for a temporary ban until things cooled off (which is why we don't have numbers this month).

Unless you have proof, you sound no better than those that believe the conspiracy theories that MS is buying parity on everything. It makes you look rather silly.

eyeofcore said:
69k for U is too low...

Wasn't estimated on Gaf for Oct 2013 50-60k for Wii U...?!?

http://nintendoeverything.com/october-2014-npd-nintendos-response-smash-3ds-has-sold-1-million-units/

Wii U could be 75-90k...

Just because you think it's low doesn't mean it is.

The figure is actually 68k. Which is better than last month when WiiU was down YOY.

It's up 47% for the first 10 months of the year, not Oct 14 over Oct 13.