By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have review embargos ever been a good sign?

I was noticing this holiday that games like Destiny and ACU, while they may not have gotten horrible reviews, have scored below most expectations and had GLARING flaws that were covered up until just before or even after release.  I also noticed that games like Dragon Age and SoM did not have such embargos and seem to do just fine with the biggest critics just thinking it's boring or samey or something generic like that rather a real flaw.  Can anyone think of a big game with a review embargo that ended up doing better than expected?

BTW guys I'm talking about excessively late ones like the day before or a few hours after the release

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor
They were acting fishy up the ass but then the game launched and the review copies/embargoes went out and it did asscreed better than asscreed

But generally, if a game has a review embargo up the ass, I usually wont get it until I see the reviews

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Most games have a review embargo, even good or great games.

When publishers don't send a copy to critics, now that's a bad sign.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Even 90+ games have day one embargo em does great.

The review embargo is not the issue... the fucinho bad game is.

Anybody that do precederá didnt care about reviews BTW.

I think you should specify you're talking about review embargos that end within a day or two of the release date!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

You know review embargos are on most games right? Do you mean have late embargos ever been a good sign?
GTA V was late I believe.

Yeah I'm going to start avoiding getting games with review embargos at launch.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

If you follow film reviews, it's a similar case. Film companies arrange screenings for critics in advance, so the reviews can come out on time. Sometimes, certain films will not have a screening. Those films always turn out to be horrible.

Same here. (OP needs to clarify he's talking about release day embargo). Bayonetta, Sunset Overdrive, Dragon Age, Forza Horizon...all had embargoes lift well ahead of release. All ended up reviewing great. Destiny, AC, Driveclub...on the other hand all disappointed, but were embargoed until after release.

cycycychris said:

Almost every game has a review embargo. Most Nintendo game have an embargo on them. They all turn out to be fine. The embargo's just make it so the Devs can control when all the news about there game comes out. And to make sure reviewers don't try to put out a review in one day to be the first that reviews a game. By making them have the game a week or 2, they probably will give a better review.

But, if a publisher has the embargo for the release date of the game or sometime after, that is a bad sign.

Basically every game has an embargo.

I was talking about excessively late ones specifically.  I realize they all have them to some extent

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I remember batman arkham origins hate a late review embargo... and that's what caused me to ultimately not get it. i had a bad feeling about the game, especially if the reviews were not out yet for it...

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air