By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whoa!! Kojima: "Blu-ray Disc Not Big Enough for MGS4″

Ha... Ha... HA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's funny.

Around the Network

^say something constructive or get out.

It'd be funny if the game involved Snake battling Herpes. No it wouldn't. Every year people die from herpes. It ain't a joke... Ah screw it.

Username2324 said:
JoeJ said:
Username2324 said:

P.S. GIF's look horrible

GIF's are a non-lossy format, so, well, you're wrong. :p It's a format that's best used for images with lots of repeated parts since those compress well with the LZW compression scheme. PNG is a similar format, but can do 24 bit color, as opposed to GIF's 8 bit color. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

If you had said JPEG, well, then we could have agreed with you since JPEG is a lossy format (like MP3) and achieves compression by throwing away data and approximating the output.

EDIT: Whoops, darconi beat me to it...

Well with my experience in Photoshop, the GIF files can only do 256 colors, total crap, while with JPEG you can set the quality by choosing what kind of file size you are looking for, and when set to max, there's hardly any difference between that and the original 24bit bmp file.

But I guess thats just Photoshop.

Yeah, that's the primary problem with GIFs.  They're great for basic images but for more complex ones with advanced colors, you want to switch to PNG or something else.  You'll be surprised at how many images you see on the web that don't use more than 256 colors.

Actually JPEGs are horrible like JoeJ said, there's so much loss and when you increase the quality to max via Photoshop like you said, the file size gets absolutely huge and you lose all the advantages of compressing it in the first place.  So doing max quality on jpeg's is actually kinda...pointless since you might as well just keep it non-jpeg compressed. 

This quote is like 1000000000 years old. Im sure his feelings on current Blu have changed.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:
JoeJ said:
Username2324 said:

P.S. GIF's look horrible

GIF's are a non-lossy format, so, well, you're wrong. :p It's a format that's best used for images with lots of repeated parts since those compress well with the LZW compression scheme. PNG is a similar format, but can do 24 bit color, as opposed to GIF's 8 bit color. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

If you had said JPEG, well, then we could have agreed with you since JPEG is a lossy format (like MP3) and achieves compression by throwing away data and approximating the output.

EDIT: Whoops, darconi beat me to it...

Errrr, 24 bits > 8 bits, thats compresion, 8 bits gif takes 1/3 of the space (removing colors) of a normal 24 bits image...

...uh, I think you're a little confused on how compression works...

FJ-Warez said:

Errrr, 24 bits > 8 bits, thats compresion, 8 bits gif takes 1/3 of the space (removing colors) of a normal 24 bits image...

While technically correct, using that definition, any analog->digital conversion deals with compression, which means that there is no such thing as uncompressed audio/video in the digital realm. Except in specific case, it is rare that downsampling is referred to as compression.

On topic, the only reason it wouldn't fit in 50gb (other than incompetence) is large amounts of FMV or uncompressed audio.

If it is FMV, well weren't people saying that this generation would see away with FMV because the consoles were powerful enough to handle it in game?

If it is uncompressed audio, well they are just measuring dicks. People cannot tell the difference between a high bitrate audio compression and uncompressed audio. Numerous doubleblind tests have proven this over and over. Unfortunately people are subjective and throw science out the window when 'they' can tell the difference.

Captian_Twig said:
It'd be funny if the game involved Snake battling Herpes. No it wouldn't. Every year people die from herpes. It ain't a joke... Ah screw it.

You arem't funny. In fact you're just an idiot.... I didn't know there was a case of someone dying from herpes...

darconi said:
Sky Render said:
I have a hard time believing that needing more than 50GB of disc space is a sign of anything but general ineptitude, inefficiency, and excessiveness. Just what does Kojima intend to put on this game disc that requires so much space? I suppose I can hope that this is all just a misunderstanding, and that Kojima didn't actually mean to imply that MGS4 is so bloated in size that it needs to consume 10 times the space of any other game just to meet his standards.

Bingo. Its easy for anyone to fill things up as much as possible, the question is always whats practical. I mean, whats the point of people using uncompressed bitmaps as opposed to png or gifs for the majority of applications? Exactly the same thing here. More space doesn't mean you have to fill it up unnecessarily.

A gif is limited to 256 colors. PNG requires more processing power.

Edit: I guess I need to read the entire thread before I go hitting reply! 

Sounds to me like Kojima likes to stroke his own ego a bit too much. All he's got to do is make a fun game. If he's running out of room thats his problem.

Besides, I'm really looking forward to the 3 hours ps3 hard drive install time for MGS4 or 10 minute load time between levels because Kojima refused to down sample some textures.