By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on track to lose 2.1 billion dollars

Arfen said:

Is Sony losing those millions for years? I mean, how can they handle this situation?

Mostly downsizing personal and selling/reducing divisions or buildings. They still face bankrupcy, but so far Sony has managed to stay afloat.

Around the Network

Sony needs to separate the Playstation from the other operations and merge it with Nintendo. In my opinion this will happen anyway one day.

We might See the day Sony will be a gaming only company. But they will survive

WolfpackN64 said:
We might See the day Sony will be a gaming only company. But they will survive

By the time that happens they wont have enough to keep up the money hat game. They're screwed is how I see it.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Protendo said:
PS4 will be fine...

PS5 is another story.

Can you imagine if both Sony and Microsoft pull out for the next gen?

There's already been talk of them not making a next gen system, but to go gaming service, like Steam. It's possible that this gen or next gen might be the last Playstation and Xbox consoles released for the two companies. Nintendo is the only company who builds hardware for their own games, and even that is taking a scary shift into the handheld market.

I'm just waiting for a solid Steambox to come out and put a strain on Sony and MS.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

turtuls said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Wait they already cut off the PC and TV divisions and still posted a 1.2b loss?  How did that happen?

I guess they forgot to sell a building.

I know this comment was made in jest but you still have to wonder how long Sony's current strategy will be sustainable.

In March of 2014 Sony had $9.3B USD(1,046,466M yen) in Cash deposits and six months later it's been reduced to $5.4B USD (610,509M yen).

So where did that $3.9 Billion USD (435,957M yen) of their Cash go?

About half ($1.9B USD / 212,869M yen) was spent to build up inventories.

So if they had to spend that much more every year on inventories, and if they didn't add to their cash deposits, then their cash would be gone in 3 years.

source - Sony

Wow! This company sure knows how to lose money year after year loll

They really need to get it together cause its like, First it was PC, then it was TV and now mobile... Its almost like they are just simply moving the issues from one division to another. Hopefully, whatever Kaz has planed will take into affect soon but we have also been saying that for years

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Damn, maybe i shouldn't buy a PS4 as planned

kowenicki said:

Its also wrong.  They sold a building this quarter too for 52.8bn yen....

The best news of those announcements is that OLED will live with the formation of the new company - "JOLED Inc."

Also with Sony and Panasonic having smaller investments in the company (and big partners) they're also reducing their risk.

And while they state that they'll start with smaller screens I hope one goal is to progress the future viability of OLED TVs as well.

JOLED (Japan OLED) was established in August 2014 (but will begin operations in January 2015) by Japan Display, Sony and Panasonic with an aim to become an OLED medium display producer (focusing at first on OLEDs for tablets, laptops and signage).

JOLED will receive and investment from the Innovation Network Corporation of Japan, a public-private investment fund. INCJ will hold 70% in the new company, JDI will hold 20% and Sony and Panasonic will each own 5%. The company reportedly will mainly use Sony's WRGB OLED technologies, but it will also develop Panasonic's printing technology and attempt to produce flexible OLEDs - source