By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft to overtake Nintendo in Home Console Sales this Century

thegamerpad said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:

I don't see the Xbone beating the Wii U by enough for that to happen, assuming it does beat the Wii-U. - Once you take that into account, and who knows what MS or Nintendo will do the gen after this.

Obviously Microsoft won't over take Nintendo next gen if it winds up as something like "DRM-Box VS Memory-Installation Neural-Interface". Fliipside being if Sony go under or leave the market Microsoft will probably gain and lot more than Nintendo.

Of course it is, why is this still a discussion here?

Maybe a conversation for another thread ...

XB1 doesn't beat Wii U until it beats it.  As of now, you just have a prediction.  What will happen when the Wii U drops to $200?  Think they'll sell better?  What about a Zelda bundle for $200 next year?   Wii U already has a lead on the XB1, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

That lead is evapourating before our eyes (hastened by todays $350 announcement). Zelda bundle for $200? You know Nintendo are still losing money on WiiU right? And they don't seem to be the type of company to want to make a loss (Unlike MS they can't hide losses behind other products).

Price isn't the issue for WiiU anyway.

Around the Network
Seece said:
thegamerpad said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:

I don't see the Xbone beating the Wii U by enough for that to happen, assuming it does beat the Wii-U. - Once you take that into account, and who knows what MS or Nintendo will do the gen after this.

Obviously Microsoft won't over take Nintendo next gen if it winds up as something like "DRM-Box VS Memory-Installation Neural-Interface". Fliipside being if Sony go under or leave the market Microsoft will probably gain and lot more than Nintendo.

Of course it is, why is this still a discussion here?

Maybe a conversation for another thread ...

XB1 doesn't beat Wii U until it beats it.  As of now, you just have a prediction.  What will happen when the Wii U drops to $200?  Think they'll sell better?  What about a Zelda bundle for $200 next year?   Wii U already has a lead on the XB1, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

That lead is evapourating before our eyes (hastened by todays $350 announcement). Zelda bundle for $200? You know Nintendo are still losing money on WiiU right? And they don't seem to be the type of company to want to make a loss (Unlike MS they can't hide losses behind other products).

The Wii U will eventually have another price drop.  Zelda isn't coming out until at least Holiday 2015.    $200 price for the Wii U next holiday isn't that impossible, if the system doesn't sell well still by this time next year they'll probably go that route.  If it does sell well enough they don't need a price drop, welp that just hurts your case more.

The funny thing is, this shouldn't even be a debate/argument.  XB1 should've already passed the Wii U, should be selling like hotcakes.  The PS4 is clobbering the XB1 and making it irrelevant, the multiplatform/3rd party games are best on PS4.  This is how low you've had to sink, to take shots at the Wii U with the XB1?   What is going to prove?  Even when the Wii outsold the 360, the XBox fans/people still crowned 360 as the champion.  I hope this makes you feel like your small penis is bigger.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

thegamerpad said:
Seece said:

The Wii U will eventually have another price drop.  Zelda isn't coming out until at least Holiday 2015.    $200 price for the Wii U next holiday isn't that impossible, if the system doesn't sell well still by this time next year they'll probably go that route.  If it does sell well enough they don't need a price drop, welp that just hurts your case more.

The funny thing is, this shouldn't even be a debate/argument.  XB1 should've already passed the Wii U, should be selling like hotcakes.  The PS4 is clobbering the XB1 and making it irrelevant, the multiplatform/3rd party games are best on PS4.  This is how low you've had to sink, to take shots at the Wii U with the XB1?   What is going to prove?  Even when the Wii outsold the 360, the XBox fans/people still crowned 360 as the champion.  I hope this makes you feel like your small penis is bigger.

You say XB1 should be selling like hotcakes then say PS4 is clobbering it. So no, with PS4 as competition why would XB1 be selling like hotcakes?

By the time Holiday 2015 comes around XB1 will have a 3m to 5m lead.

I'm not sure why you think me debating WiiU sales makes me feel like I have a bigger penis? Never heard anything so ridiculous.

thegamerpad said:

How much profit has Nintendo made on video games in the past 14 years? How much profit has Microsoft made on video games in the past 14 years? Doesn't that really tell who's succeeding in the video game industry?

ssshhh mate. Don't bring that argument into the table please. Ppl in this thread believe that units sold = successful console. They think companies are in this business for the growing number of units sold instead of the growing numbers of their bank accounts.

Now, whistle and pretend you didn't say anything.

Seece said:
thegamerpad said:
Seece said:

You say XB1 should be selling like hotcakes then say PS4 is clobbering it. So no, with PS4 as competition why would XB1 be selling like hotcakes?

By the time Holiday 2015 comes around XB1 will have a 3m to 5m lead.

I'm not sure why you think me debating WiiU sales makes me feel like I have a bigger penis? Never heard anything so ridiculous.

I'm sure you, XB1 fans, and Microsoft all figured a year+ ago that XB1 was going to still be trailing the Wii U and the PS4 was going to be doubling it's sales.  The money invested in XB1 for it to turn out like this is a failure.   That's what this has resorted to, that both the XB1 and Wii U are struggling.  There is no success story for the XB1 even when it does outsell the Wii U.    You're just trying to make yourself feel good about the console you like.  Just go play the games and enjoy it, who cares about the competition or what others think as long as you enjoy it

Around the Network
Seece said:

Microsoft:

Xbox - 24m
360 - 84.8m (EST)
XB1 - 7.4m (EST)

Total - 116.2m

Nintendo:
N64 - 3.35m
Gamecube - 21.74m
Wii - 101.15m
WiiU - 6.68m

Total - 132.92m

Gap - 16.72m in Nintendo's favour.

You seems to have switched Xbone and Wii U numbers.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Ka-pi96 said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Damn Nintendo getting beat at its own industry

Well what do you expect? They make an inferior product so get outsold.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

So Wiis RROD all over? I never heard of that. did you know nintendo has the highest and longest record for producing quality games?

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

thegamerpad said:

I'm sure you, XB1 fans, and Microsoft all figured a year+ ago that XB1 was going to still be trailing the Wii U and the PS4 was going to be doubling it's sales.  The money invested in XB1 for it to turn out like this is a failure.   That's what this has resorted to, that both the XB1 and Wii U are struggling.  There is no success story for the XB1 even when it does outsell the Wii U.    You're just trying to make yourself feel good about the console you like.  Just go play the games and enjoy it, who cares about the competition or what others think as long as you enjoy it

Again, I don't understand this "shit on something to make yourself feel good" I'm insulted you think I'm that invested. I talk about WiiU vs Xbox because it's the most interesting. I do play games and they give me plenty enjoyment, so does discussion on forums (same as why you're here no?)

I don't even know what any of what you're saying has anything to do with this topic.

Seece said:

Microsoft:

Xbox - 24m
360 - 84.8m (EST)
XB1 - 7.4m (EST)

Total - 116.2m

Nintendo:
N64 - 3.35m
Gamecube - 21.74m
Wii - 101.15m
WiiU - 6.68m

Total - 132.92m

Erm...The N64 shipped 32.93 units as stated by Wikipedia which is where you got your numbers from.  That would put the total at 165.5 million which would put Microsoft not even close to catching up.

APPOXIMATE numbers
Color TV Game - 3 million
NES - 61 million
SNES - 49 million
N64 - 32 million
Cube - 21 million
Wii - 101 million
Wii U - 6-7 million

It really is foolish to compare the entirety of Microsoft's home consoles shipments against just the last 4 home consoles of Nintendo and say that Microsoft is "catching up."   In actuality comparing the totality of Nintendo's home consoles shipments it is 276 million which is two and one half times more than Microsoft. 

Of course, the PlayStation home console brand has shipped 350+ units and with the PS4 selling the way it is that number will continue to grow.

D2K said:
Seece said:

Microsoft:

Xbox - 24m
360 - 84.8m (EST)
XB1 - 7.4m (EST)

Total - 116.2m

Nintendo:
N64 - 3.35m
Gamecube - 21.74m
Wii - 101.15m
WiiU - 6.68m

Total - 132.92m

Erm...The N64 shipped 32.93 units as stated by Wikipedia which is where you got your numbers from.  That would put the total at 165.5 million which would put Microsoft not even close to catching up.

APPOXIMATE numbers
Color TV Game - 3 million
NES - 61 million
SNES - 49 million
N64 - 32 million
Cube - 21 million
Wii - 101 million
Wii U - 6-7 million

It really is foolish to compare the entirety of Microsoft's home consoles shipments against just the last 4 home consoles of Nintendo and say that Microsoft is "catching up."   In actuality comparing the totality of Nintendo's home consoles shipments it is 276 million which is two and one half times more than Microsoft. 

Of course, the PlayStation home console brand has shipped 350+ units and with the PS4 selling the way it is that number will continue to grow.

In case you failed to read the OP, we're talking about what is shipped 2000 onwards. I've already stated that the majority of those N64 were shipped before that year.

And where did I say MS is catching up to Nintendo home consoles total? The thread title lays things out perfectly clear. MS Vs Nintendo since 2000.