By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - All Things K-Pop

This thread can be the place where K-Pop fans can share and have discussions on all things K-Pop, for example, your favorite songs, groups/artists, biases, OTPs (if you're into that sort of thing), MVs, and you can even share stories like the first time you got interested or heard about K-Pop (anything regarding K-Pop is fair game). It can also be a place for non K-Pop fans to see/hear the different varieties of songs there are and why we like them and possibly even join in on the discussion (anybody is welcome to). I'll even post news on big things happening in the industry and would love if others did the same.

So I guess I'll get this started then o((*^▽^*))o

How did I first get interested? And why do I like it?

I've been a K-Pop fan/fanboy for about two years now and my first exposure to it was from a friend. One day during my sophomore year in high school, my friend started talking to me about what kind of music she liked and showed me an MV of her favorite K-Pop group, which I later realized to be 2PM. At first I thought the song and video were completely stupid and that it was weird for her to love music she didn't even understand the language to (I know I was very closed-minded -_-). But like a month later during summer, I was bored so I typed in K-Pop in Pandora and decided to give it a chance. The first song that came on was B2ST's Beautiful Night and after that I was hooked, idk why I guess it was just so different from the stuff usually played on the radio. And since then I have learned to appreciate music for what it is, not for what language or style it's presented in. K-Pop even got me to like rap a lot more and I never really liked it before. I love K-Pop because there's actually a lot of songs with meaningful lyrics, there's variety in each one, and also because of the humble, hardworking, and fun personalities all K-Pop idols have even when they're only running on two hours of sleep. I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

Some of my favorite groups include B2ST, Super Junior, Girls' Generation, f(x), VIXX, BTS, 2ne1, BIG BANG, and SHINee.

I'll start the sharing process with some MVs, feel free to discuss these ones or share some that you like.

2NE1 - Hate You (I love the anime look and of course the song)

VIXX - Voodoo Doll (Click here if you want the gore version but be warned it's not pleasant)

BTS - Hormone War (I really like the strong beat, chorus, and dance)

Around the Network

I'll bite

i particularly like 2ne1 (sandara park she is so damn hot), 2pm (when jay park was still around), tohoshinki and big bang.

mii-gamer said:
I'll bite

i particularly like 2ne1 (sandara park she is so damn hot), 2pm (when jay park was still around), tohoshinki and big bang.

Sandara Park is hot but I really like CL it's probably the way she raps I find that very attractive. 2PM was the best when Jay Park was there idk but I felt like the group was more cohesive. I love TVXQ Changmin is my bias because he's got a really great range. BIG BANG is amazing but I only really prefer GD & TOP, omg TOP's voice , I just love deep voices like Yongguk from B.A.P and V from BTS Have you listened to those groups?

Do you guys actually understand anything the singers say? Oh, and is PSY K-Pop?

XanderXT said:

Do you guys actually understand anything the singers say? Oh, and is PSY K-Pop?

I can but I'm not fluent so it takes a couple of tries to get it correct but you don't have to know the language to enjoy it. And yes PSY is a K-Pop artist. 

Around the Network
tsogud said:
mii-gamer said:
I'll bite

Sandara Park is hot but I really like CL it's probably the way she raps I find that very attractive. 2PM was the best when Jay Park was there idk but I felt like the group was more cohesive. I love TVXQ Changmin is my bias because he's got a really great range. BIG BANG is amazing but I only really prefer GD & TOP, omg TOP's voice , I just love deep voices like Yongguk from B.A.P and V from BTS Have you listened to those groups?

I don't particularly like B.A.P, they don't fit my taste.

I believe Ktay95 and Nintendopie are more enthusiastic about kpop then myself (i watch for the girl eye candy and have something to talk about when I am with my lady friends). Hopefully, they post here so you can have a more enthusiastic discussion

mii-gamer said:
I don't particularly like B.A.P, they don't fit my taste.

I believe Ktay95 and Nintendopie are more enthusiastic about kpop then myself (i watch for the girl eye candy and have something to talk about when I am with my lady friends). Hopefully, they post here so you can have a more enthusiastic discussion

Haha completely understandable. Thank you for taking the time to post your initial comment

Most of the Girls I know are crazy about K-Pop. Never understood the mutal fascination of South Korea and The Philippines. Maybe because they're one of the only Christian nations in Asia? I dunno.

XanderXT said:
Most of the Girls I know are crazy about K-Pop. Never understood the mutal fascination of South Korea and The Philippines. Maybe because they're one of the only Christian nations in Asia? I dunno.

I don't think it's about religion because about 45% of the population of South Korea is irreligious and about 29% is Christian with Buddhism close behind. But you're right, especially when compared to the other Asian nations, it has a relatively higher Christian population.

I think it's more of a cultural fascination and general difference in lifestyles, and the difference in the way K-Pop artists perform and behave compared to western artists. You would never see western artists do the things K-Pop idols do on variety shows (and just in general) and they do it so their fans/viewers can watch more entertaining show even if it's at the expense of themselves. And since the K-Pop industry is really competitive, idols have to sacrifice a lot of things including time to sleep/eat adequately because their busy schedules and strict contracts requires them to be actively promoting and practicing all the time to be on their top form. And I think K-Pop fans really appreciate that effort and hardwork idols put in and that's why the fans are so crazy about them (well apart from the amazing fanservice, music, and dances of course)

For me k-pop looks artificial entertainment. Only thing I liked about k-pop was psy's gangum style. But I still dont get why people like these genre.