By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Study: Dumb people listen to Beyoncé and Smart people listen to Radiohead

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/10/smart-people-listen-to-radiohead-and-dumb-people-listen-to-beyonce-according-to-new-study/

Smart people listen to Radiohead and dumb people listen to Beyoncé, according to study

How does a person’s intelligence relate to the type of music they listen to? For the last several years, a software application writer by the name of Virgil Griffith has charted musical tastes based on the average SAT scores of various college institutions. For example, students attending the California Institute of Technology have an average SAT score of 1520. By looking at Facebook to determine the most popular (or — “liked”) band of students at Cal Tech, Griffith was able to conclude that Radiohead really truly is music for smart people. A highly scientific study, I know.

As Digital Inspiration points out, Griffith’s chart reveals Sufjan Stevens, Bob Dylan, The Shins, and — uh — Counting Crows as other favorite bands of smart people. Meanwhile, Lil Wayne, Beyoncé, The Used, and gospel music comes in at the lower end of the spectrum — or, as Griffith puts it, is music for dumb people.

Among other interesting revelations from the Griffith’s chart: Smart people prefer John Mayer over Pink Floyd; rock titans like Tool, System of a Down, and Pearl Jam fall right in the middle — so, music for average people?; and people still listen to Switchfoot.

See the full result of Griffith’s findings below. Ed. Note: This chart actually dates back to 2009, but the below graphic is new.

--------------------
Soooooo...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Should I feel stupid that I don't like a single song from Radiohead?

Where do the Redonditos de Ricota fit into this chart? I feel offended by this chart.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

"Smart people prefer John Mayer over Pink Floyd"

And thus the study crumbles.

Interesting study. 1380 here minus the writing portion, but I listen to lots of mainstream and "dumb people" music as well as gospel. My tastes are all over the place though and I don't necessarily listen to music for intellectual stimulation...

i listen to like half that list. i listen to pop like JT, kesha, beyonce just as much as i do radiohead, deathcab, or ben folds.

Around the Network

The smartest people dont listen to any kind of mainstream music

One needs to be stupid to belive generalizations like this .

Hmmm, all of my favorite bands are on the right side of the songs :). However I can't help but think that this study is inherently flawed. Notice how more of the indy-ish bands are on the right and more of the Pop bands are on the left. Couldn't that be because more educated people can better research for a specific band they will like while the less educated can't afford/haven't been taught properly? This isn't ranked by IQ, it is ranked by how well you do at one college test.

I don't know if I'm smart or dumb.

I listen both.

The chart is wrong. My favourite music by far is Beethoven, but my SAT score is zero.