By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - worst examples of wii developers sleight of hand (ports, pricing, etc)

sega:

1. sega bass fishing.... a port of a DC game that came out in 1999. there is some new content to be had, but im pretty sure a good portion of that was available in sega bass fishing 2 which was released for the DC in 2001.

2. house of the dead 2 and 3 return.... a port of house of the dead 3 from 2002. sega never mentioned to gamers that HotD2 was also available on that disk. they are adding only an extreme mode.... which doesn't sound like anything special.

capcom:
3. RE: 0.... a port of a game that hit shelves in 2002. Hopes of any notable new content are slim. Japan only (for now).

temco:
4. rygar: the battle of argus.... "based on" rygar: the legendary adventure which came out for the ps2 in 2002. Expect some new content.... and a lot of old content.

also, honorable mentions:
5. castle shikigami 3.... a port of an arcade game that came out in japan in 2005. i liked the no frills castle shikigami 2, but it was released for the ps2 at the budget price of $14.99. the new game is hitting the wii at $39.99!

6. and, of course, there is all that wonderful shoverlware.

am i missing anything?

Around the Network

I thought RE:0 was going to be a remake rather than a port?

wii-make. new controls. capcom wouldn't bother fully remaking a gamecube title.

from wikipedia (i know i shouldn't live by this site but it's correct on this matter):

"According to Famitsu, the Wii version will be a direct port of the Gamecube version with no new content or changes other than Wii controls."

already released but ghost squad wii from sega

So long as there is a situation to take advantage of, developers will go that extra mile to exploit the Wii. Don't expect this to stop anytime soon. It's a shame really. There are great thing that can be done with the Wiimote , and most developers are happily filling out the PS2's lineup on the Wii now. Maybe for some that's nice, but I still own a PS2, and the game's are usually cheaper on it by a lot.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I don't see how Rygar is a bad example of porting, and it certainly isn't "sleight of hand". It was originally going to come out last year, but has been delayed well into this year. Sounds like they taking their time with it. They've been saying this was a remake+ almost since they made mention of the game, so there is no deceit there.

There is really very little info on the game besides the basics. It's a little early to be making your mind up, unless you were one of the few people who played Rygar on PS2. Still, that wouldn't make the project a "sleight of hand".

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Would you rather the Wii had just a few quality games or a few quality games and thousands of shovelware titles?

Which one made the PS and PS2 successful?

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Although I'm not happy with the number of ports on the Wii but I can't blame publishers for doing it either ...

The main reasons PS3 and XBox 360 games have such higher development costs is they require far more developers, working for a much longer timeframe, in order to produce a game; it is not uncommon for PS3 or XBox 360 games to take 2 to 3 years to develop with a development team that is twice the size of a PS2 project.

Publishers heavily banked on the success of the PS3 from the start and many of the best development teams were allocated to produce PS3 games before it launched (and possibly before the price was announced at E3 2006); many of these projects have still not been released so the development team is still not available to work on anything except for that project.

Now the sales of the Wii means that third party publishers want to heavily support the Wii, and they really want their high quality well known franchises released on the system; at the same time their (from the ground up) bigger budget, high quality Wii games may be 9 (or more) months away, they have very limited resources to allocate to more Wii games, and they need more Wii games today. The result of all of these factors is driving publishers to take previously completed games and invest in some rework for the Wii.

This is largely unimportant, but it's Tecmo, not Temco. To be fair, I didn't notice this fact for about 15 years, despite having Tecmo Bowl sitting in my NES collection for at least that long...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Chicken Shoot: a port of a 2003 flash game. Price 30 bucks at Bestbuy

NinjaBread man: a port of 2005 horrible PC/PS2 game. Price: FULL PRICE

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)