By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Looking forward. PS4 vs XB1 vs WiiU

About Wii U:

Price drop:
The reason they aren't lowering the price is because they have only recently begun selling it with a profit. After 3 years of losses, how could they rush going into red again.
The profit might be small, but at least it's happening. And with the line-up next year, they won't need one.
Not that it won't happen, but i wouldn't expect one before Zelda comes out next year.

Redesign:
Of all 3, Nintendo is actually the one who needs it the most. Changing the look to something that doesn't make it look like a rounded Wii is a must. Changing the name is also needed.
Almost everything about the Wii U needs to change.

Bail out:
Nintendo already said they won't release a new console before they please Wii U fans.
Changing to x86 architecture will do nothing for them. Actually, having the easiest and also powerful architecture never made them the winner.
3rd parties aren't supporting Wii U because of the architecture - because they never cared -, it's the low install base and lack of a market for their games, that's keeping them away from Wii U.
As i said in another thread, the most likely scenario is that in late 2016 they will introduce a new console seeing as the biggest Nintendo franchises will be already out and to take advantage of whatever momentum Wii U will have by then.

Around the Network

I only read the Nintendo part and it's pretty fair. Sony need not do anything, you may as well have put N/A for them.

None of the startegies will work on Nintendo.

except price cut, but having it too cheap would make some think ut's rubbish and the more talked about xbox/ps brand is better.

NintendoPie said:
I only read the Nintendo part and it's pretty fair. Sony need not do anything, you may as well have put N/A for them.

lol true... but that won't have been fair. Most of what i put for sony is basically in reaction to whatver MS may do. Sony will probably just keep releasing new colored consoles and bigger HDDs for a while. They wouldn't even bundle games cause they addthe games they would have bundled to PS+ instant game collectiong. Most they may do is offer a free 3 month PS+ trial.

mii-gamer said:
I don't think a New Ninty console next year with an x86 archi thingy is a good idea.

1. 3rd party support is not guaranteed
2. They will be playing catch-up with all the momentum in favor of the competition
3. They will be screwing over their loyal fanbase

They have to ride out the storm while attempting to build a stronger foundation for their next endeavor. i.e Build up their online, new ip's etc

Sony is in a good position with the ps4, they just need to keep up the good work

Microsoft should build up their first party strength to better compete against the ps4. A hardware design could do wonders

Pretty much all this.

Whatever Nintendo does will be heavily criticised, but what you said about them riding out the storm is probably the best thing to do. Sales wise they have lost this gen but slowly and steadily building consumer faith with games and support will allow their next console to start off much stronger.

At this stage Sony can do no wrong, but I feel their momentum will drop if they dont seriously start supporting their console with more than 3 1st party games a year (sure Uncharted 4 will sell, and Bloodborne is hyped but I dont think it will sell that great, and Order 1886 might sell decently but is a delayed game, apart from that what else does Sony really have planned to wow their customers?).

MS are working on the rebound. They dropped the mandatory Kinect and are focussing more on games now rather than TV and sports like they did initially. A cheaper redesign would definitely help.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda