By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diversity and Mechanics in RPGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBntptjC1M

Around the Network

The only reason to watch this is if you've never played more than a few games. The majority of actual gamers can figure the concept of differences in story and gameplay themselves.

kupomogli said:
The only reason to watch this is if you've never played more than a few games. The majority of actual gamers can figure the concept of differences in story and gameplay themselves.

You would be surprised how many people don't get why a party needs to be diverse in RPGs.

I agree, and I usually like more complex conflicts in gaming. Final Fantasy Tactics, as strange as it sounds, does one of the best jobs of creating genuine human conflict, even despite the presence of demons. Of course, I can still see the need for mindless evil in certain games and situations. Sometimes you want your conflict to be simple or you can have part of it to be simple so you can focus on a different kind of conflict elsewhere. LOTR might have had mindless Orcs as the enemy, for example, but much of the overall conflict was internal, both within the group and the character themselves.

Careful, though, as people have gotten upset with me before for saying that I'm not excited about the party options in FF15.

Diversed as in well defined, written and, partially, animated the characters are. It has much less to do with the "first impression" like you are suggesting, as in being a party of males or females, young adults or grown-ups... Etc

From gameplay perspective as well. A party of one does not equall having limited playing style in games in general not just RPGs ( look at infamous second son). It is up to the vision that the gameplay was based on.

Around the Network

Doubled by mistake

pokoko said:
I agree, and I usually like more complex conflicts in gaming. Final Fantasy Tactics, as strange as it sounds, does one of the best jobs of creating genuine human conflict, even despite the presence of demons. Of course, I can still see the need for mindless evil in certain games and situations. Sometimes you want your conflict to be simple or you can have part of it to be simple so you can focus on a different kind of conflict elsewhere. LOTR might have had mindless Orcs as the enemy, for example, but much of the overall conflict was internal, both within the group and the character themselves.

Careful, though, as people have gotten upset with me before for saying that I'm not excited about the party options in FF15.

TBH I don't think the game looks very good. The more they reveal the more restricting it sounds. Combat doesn't look good. no diversity in party is awful. It's on rails practically it sounds like. Only thing it seems to have going for it is visuals. XBX seems to offer a lot more. I hope XV isn't terrible but have a feeling it will be.