By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - King of Kong: fistful of quarters

Has anyone seen it?

http://www.billyvssteve.com

Apparently it's about a bizarre story of a man named Steve Wiebe who locks himself in his garage for months perfecting his skills on donkey kong.

He then breaks the world record high score on the game. That is until friends of long time record holder Billy Mitchell use underhanded tactics that leads to the record being invalid.

Its apparently earned 96% positive rating on the website Rotten Tomatoes.

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_of_kong

Around the Network

I saw it, I really enjoyed it. Steve Wiebe actually came to the Alamo Drafthouse where I saw it, but unfortunately he was only there for one night, and I couldn't make it then. I saw it the following evening.

"Your grasp of the obvious is inspiring." - Commander Shepard
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel." Commander Shepard
I support JRPGs on the Xbox 360.
Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad
"Nothing can make it moral to destroy the best. One can't be punished for being good. One can't be penalized for ability. If that is right, then we'd better start slaughtering one another, because there isn't any right at all in the world." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

saw it, also liked it.

interesting from a morals standpoint as well as a lil gaming history.

*SPOILERS*

I didn't think there was anything shady about Billy breaking the record. Walter Day has known Billy for over 20 years, so it's not surprising that they accept his videos with little scrutiny. Steve Wiebe comes out of nowhere challenging a longstanding record, so he should receive scrutiny until he proves himself, as we see he did in the film.

Wiebe's original record was invalidated because the replacement board he got came from Roy Shildt. When the Twin Galaxies guys went to investigate his machine there was basically one thing in the world that could have negated his record, and that was what they found: the shipping box with Roy Shildt's name on it.

Wiebe's a cool guy, and seemingly about as honest as they come. Shildt is Shildt, one look at that guy and you know he's nuts. It's a shame that Wiebe's original accomplishment was tainted because of him.

*END SPOILER*

Anyways, it's an awesome film. It's crazy to see how focused these world record holders are. What really tops it off is all of the great extras, as well as the retro arcade look and feel to the menus and such.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

i saw it and enjoyed it greatly.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka