By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny being traded into gamestop in droves - Speculative evidence

Destiny came out over two weeks ago. Same thing happened with GTA5, same thing happens with most big titles. People buy the games for $60 and then sell them back to Gamestop for $20 or less within a matter of weeks.

What can I say other than people are stupid?

Around the Network
Richmyster6907 said:
Game sells over 3 million copies in its opening week.
5 preowned copies seen at 1 local gamespot.
"People are returning the game in droves"at are others saying 

Yeah seems legit.

It seems you and a few others did not understand the post- 1st he said it was speculative- he said there seemed to be a lot ( 5) used copies in his Gamestop - What are others seeing in their local game stores?   Most people interested wnough to be on these boards who frequent game stores would prob notice trade ins on a big game like Destiny being greater or lesser than normal-   

if I saw 5 trade in new release games in my local store it would def be more than normal -  ( I live in the SE US - med size City). If enough people reported back their honest observations you could obtain a pretty good idea of Desriny is being traded in at a quicker rate than might have Been expected pre release -  Additionally, higher trade ins for a game like Destiny would be more meaningful than for many other games since it is supposed to have an ongoing lifespan for multiple years via updates and DLC 

To automatically dismiss 5 trade ins at 1 store is disingenuous -  as you know there are thousands of store across the world that buy and sell used games    

The more data points presented the more viable the findings -  

o_O.Q said:

well damn 5 copies?

bungie better close down tomorrow lol

So you still believe the world is flat and there is only 1 game store on the planet?   And you think only these 5 copies were traded in? Sounds like that is what you are implying - which would be wrong by the way 

ganoncrotch said:
spurgeonryan said:
5 copies times 6800 stores....... pLu Walmart,amazon, ebay, crigslist, etc

That's still like 30-50k units out of the 4.5m it sold in the first 3 days. Or 1 in every 150 people who bought it didn't like it enough to trade it in right away, that's not a bad ratio at all.

Also the thread title is absolute bollocks.

Do you KNOW that is not a bad ratio?   It may or may not be but just saying it does not make it true or accurate -   Maybe there is some data out there re trade in s -  what is considered high or low-   

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5030937112380#.VCbwMhYxLIU

FIFA 15 came out yesterday, this UK store only does traded/2nd hand games. No new copies. Search Destiny and see what you get.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
o_O.Q said:

well damn 5 copies?

So you still believe the world is flat and there is only 1 game store on the planet?   And you think only these 5 copies were traded in? Sounds like that is what you are implying - which would be wrong by the way 

o_O.Q said:
Dunban67 said:
o_O.Q said:

well damn 5 copies?

Where did you get my 7th grade school photo?

The Fury said:
https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5030937112380#.VCbwMhYxLIU

FIFA 15 came out yesterday, this UK store only does traded/2nd hand games. No new copies. Search Destiny and see what you get.

Can you do the same search for Destiny on Sep 10 for comparision please?

And you need to check the FIFA 15 too.

171 copies of FIFA 15 Xbone: https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5035228112384#.VCb7xec9CXU
128 copies of FIFA 15 360: https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5030944112373#.VCb77-c9CXU
27 copies of FIFA 15 PS3: https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=5035225112363#.VCb8Jec9CXU

Seems like FIFA oweers  on PS consoles didn't like to trade or people alreadh bought the used copies.

You just supported the point about this happens with every big game.

ethomaz said:

Can you do the same search for Destiny on Sep 10 for comparision please?

You just supported the point about this happens with every big game.

No, no way of back dating on their website. And yes, that was my point. Just trying to find a good example.

This said, many people in the UK might have actually bought console deals with Destiny included but never wanted to the game, just the deal which gave them a game they could trade in (for cash or credit) making the console below £300 instead of above.

Hmm, pie.

Our Gamestop, for what its worth, has a good number of Destiny for all consoles on used at a silly 49.99$ price tag... I'd sooner buy the new copy for that little of a difference. If I remember, I counted about ten total between PS4 and XOne.

My guess is people bought the white bundle for the white console, and didn't a crap about the game.

(This is Chicagoland GameStop near Lakeshore, if anyone happens to want a used copy.)