By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's your impression of the Smash Bros 3DS demo?

Tagged games:

If you gotten the code and played the game for a while then what are your impressions for the game including character, items, and stages?

Here's my video playthrough wtih Link recorded by my iPhon 5. Hope it looks alright cause the game looks great for 3DS

I'll list some stuff I could notice and that I didn't see in the recent Japanese Twitch streams:

Mario:

Was able to wall jump from the floating platforms in battlefied

EDIT: Saw ZeRo from Smash Invitation do this and confirms it works. Strong attack A can be spammed repeatedly against enemies because of its weak knockback and fast timing. And its REALLY easy to do. Can do it for 4 times in a row and builds a nice damage but I forgot how much.

Link:

dash attacks makes Link jump forward and attacks. This means you can fall of the stage if you time it wrong

Air attack Up is the Link leaning back and stabbing up in the air. So same as the E3 build if you've been paying attention to this game's development.

Up + B animation sounds cooler/different

Pikachu:

Up + B can still daze enemies. In fact you can spam against enemies if you go left and right when you and they are on the ground to accumulate damage. Was able to hit two cpus over and over again. But I was playing against the default CPU level in the demo. Pikachu's animation when he hits opponents has him turning into a yellow blur to show how fast he's moving.

Down + B or thunder goes down too fast to hurt enemies. This makes it hard to guard the edge a player is trying to reach. If you played against a Pikachu player (or CPU lvl 9) in Brawl who did this to edge guard than you know what I mean by this (hopefully). (Or maybe it wasn't always like this?)

Final Smash is still volt tackle. I don't know if it was like that in E3 build 

Megaman:

The dog from up + B does not stay there forever if left on stage. In fact he disappears in a few seconds.

His Smash attacks are pretty quick on ground and air. I don't know much about the Megaman games so I can't explain any further.

His down taunt is his intro animation.

His a attack is the normal weapon he uses in Megaman 2 and you can run and use it like a gun item in brawl. In fact, you can only hit 3 or 4 at time rapidly before he cools down like the game as well. It also blocked my Pikachu's fully charge side B....

Villager:

His bowling ball attack is smash left/right A. Super powerful. EDIT: One hit on smash ball activates final smash

Aerial attacks are slingshots but you probably knew that from the streams.

Down + B is tree move. He starts with planting a sprout. Then watering it. And then he chops it. And then again. Tree falling didn't seem as powerful as smash left/right A but looked quicker. You can only plant one sprout at a time. If you use down + B again while away from the sprout, you'll just pull out your watering can and water nothing. Your sprout will disappear after several seconds, so you need to strategically place them. Was going for the edge but took to long to water it again so it disappeared.

Edit: After tree is grown, you can hit enemies with you axe. F** YES. its pretty slow

EDIT: Megaman's final smash won't be completed if the Time Runs out in Time versus. THIS HAPPEND TO ME  > : (

items:

The special flag that gives you 1 stock or +1 in the defaul time battle takes several seconds before its effect works. And you're a sitting duck when you use it. If someone hits you, you drop the item and they can use it.

Steel driver guns is way more powerful than the ray gun and can KO people in orange percentages (or at least Mario and Villager).

Pokemon Kyreum shoots out a decently long fan attack from his left and right wing. Takes up a 1/4-third of battle field stage and the height is taller at the end reaching up to the battlefied platforms. However, its easy to dodge because he just sits there when he attacks. Couldn't hurt anyone when I first used him too

Assist trophy Pong seems to end after one player scores 2 points in my playthrough. Causes an annoying amount of knock back but not sure about percentage. 

Edit: Tanooki item (brown leaf) can make you hover in the air for several seconds! But I can't make it work until after I do my second midair attack. And you don't float gently down like the Super Mario games.

3D look amazing on my normal size 3DS.

So what are your thoughts?

Around the Network

The game looks surprisingly good. The screenshots seriously do it no justice.

Oh, and I hate Mega Man.

Here's my playthrough with Link. Used my iPhone 5 to record this but I think it turned out decent.

I gotta say, the game so far feels great.

It's alot better than Brawl for sure, and while it's not even close to Melee or Project M, its got a lot of its own unique things that still make it a great experience.

I can't wait to see how the competitive meta for this game develops once the game comes out.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
I gotta say, the game so far feels great.

It's alot better than Brawl for sure, and while it's not even close to Melee or Project M, it's got a lot of it's own unique things that still make it a great experience.

I Can't wait to see how the competitive meta for this game develops once the game comes out.

Amen Brother

Around the Network

I really like it. The graphics are very good for a 3DS game, the game runs smooth, the CPU difficult seems to be ok, soundtrack from the demo stage is good and there are many new itens. The characters and stages roosters are really huge for a handheld fighting game too, but we can only try a few by now.

The only thing that I didn't like that much is the controller, it is strange to play without C-stick, but since I'll be mostly playing multiplayer against other people that also don't have a C-stick, it is fine. The good thing is that it makes the CPU more challenging. Not sure if it will have C-stick support for New 3DS someday (I think Nintendo said there won't be), but that would give a big advantage to the New 3DS player.

Overall, I can say I'm way more hyped now that I tried the demo. I was already going to buy both WiiU and 3DS games, but now I'm considering pre-ordering the 3DS one instead of waiting for a lower price.

I'm jealous. Really want this game so bad. lol

Amazing.
The combat is better than brawl but the jumping is still floaty thats my only gripe with it.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

Its pretty great and impressive! No lag at all, even in 3d mode! And its really fun and the music is like Jizz to my ears! Can't wait for the full game!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It is 100x better than I thought it would be! I can only imagine how epic the Wii U version will be.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.