By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: 3DS Sales Lowest Since July 2011. About to Fall Behind PSP.

3DS is doing so poorly due to its EXTREMELY weak hardware. Even low-end smartphones these days are much more powerful than 3DS. A dedicated gaming device in 2014 needs to be much more capable than that.

I'm glad that PSP might atleast have the honour of selling more than 3DS, as its probably the best handheld ever made.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Nah. No 14-35 year old (Sony's bread and butter demographic) would be caught dead with a dedicated game handheld these days, especially not when they all have their smartphone to keep them occupied for any down time away from the house. Not just games, but being able to Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, watch movies/TV show/Youtube, taking photos, surf the internet, on top of playing games ... phones just have monopolized the teenager/college age/30 something's pocket space. 

Nintendo has at least been able to prevent themselves from being wiped off the face of the market (like Sony has been) because they still have sway with the kids market (who generally don't get their first phone until age 12/13) and the core Nintendo fanbase, but even there they are losing momentum. 

Pretty much spot on for the West. That's why Sony's changed their strategy to aim more at the younger end of the market too.

Damn shame really, I'd just got used to quality handheld gaming then it was ripped away from me again :(

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Poor Vita... maybe I get one when it's very cheap...

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

Lol comparing 3DS sales to PSP is so pointless.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

highwayuni said:
Why do people think that the announcement of the n3DS is what's caused these numbers? It hasn't received any release dates over in the west or any promotion. Barely anyone knows about it at this point.

bad attempt to justify low sales of the console. Especially considering that the annoucement was for JAPAN and this is for NA

Around the Network
TheWPCTraveler said:
So, the 3DS is going to sell less than the PSP lifetime? That's...sad.

more shocking that sad. 80mil sold for a system isnt bad, so i dont know why some consider PSP a flop. It is jarring for a Ninty portable to fall well behind that after coming off of DS but thats the breaks.