By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

Sorry, not sure if this has been posted yet, too many post to go back through:

[UPDATE] Notch instigated negotiations, will likely leave Mojang once it completes

Update: Mojang founder Markus "Notch" Persson may have instigated the negotiations with Microsoft, after reaching out to the company several months ago.

Many within the games industry and the games press have reacted with surprise at the possibility of Microsoft acquiring Mojang, not least because Persson has been openly critical of the company in the past. However, Bloomberg's sources have claimed that Persson actually proposed the deal in the first place, largely due to a "positive working relationship" and a "close relationship" with Xbox boss Phil Spencer.

According to Bloomberg, Persson will remain at Mojang to see the deal and subsequent merger through to completion, but will likely depart once that has happened.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-09-09-microsoft-to-buy-mojang-report

Around the Network
Burek said:
Sorry, not sure if this has been posted yet, too many post to go back through:

[UPDATE] Notch instigated negotiations, will likely leave Mojang once it completes

Update: Mojang founder Markus "Notch" Persson may have instigated the negotiations with Microsoft, after reaching out to the company several months ago.

Many within the games industry and the games press have reacted with surprise at the possibility of Microsoft acquiring Mojang, not least because Persson has been openly critical of the company in the past. However, Bloomberg's sources have claimed that Persson actually proposed the deal in the first place, largely due to a "positive working relationship" and a "close relationship" with Xbox boss Phil Spencer.

According to Bloomberg, Persson will remain at Mojang to see the deal and subsequent merger through to completion, but will likely depart once that has happened.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-09-09-microsoft-to-buy-mojang-report

The question that occurs, though, is who else is going to be leaving once the deal goes through? There's only about forty people in Mojang, and so unless Persson is taking ALL the monies with him when he goes, I'd be seriously surprised if all of them don't end up millionaires and free to pretty much do what they please... assuming the hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue, and 100+ million dollars in profit Mojang made last year didn't make them all millionaires already. =P Is Microsoft going to be getting much in the way of the company's brains, or are they just getting the name, IPs, etc?

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

First, this is weird. Why would MS spend $2billion on one company when they could start up 20 (each with $100million budget) to make a game of their own for that money. It sounds unreal.

Also, in the above post, "not least because Persson has been openly critical of the company in the past" - doesn't mean he won't accept a huge cheque for his company. If I owned Minecraft and MS came to me with $2billion, I wouldn't bat an eye over it. I could quit and start 20 game companies each with 100 million budget for that.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
First, this is weird. Why would MS spend $2billion on one company when they could start up 20 (each with $100million budget) to make a game of their own for that money. It sounds unreal.

Also, in the above post, "not least because Persson has been openly critical of the company in the past" - doesn't mean he won't accept a huge cheque for his company. If I owned Minecraft and MS came to me with $2billion, I wouldn't bat an eye over it. I could quit and start 20 game companies each with 100 million budget for that.

That's like saying Disney could finance 100 movies instead of buying the Star Wars IP. 

The fact is you could start 20 different studios and none of them would likely make anything as popular as Minecraft. 

Zanten said:

The question that occurs, though, is who else is going to be leaving once the deal goes through? There's only about forty people in Mojang, and so unless Persson is taking ALL the monies with him when he goes, I'd be seriously surprised if all of them don't end up millionaires and free to pretty much do what they please... assuming the hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue, and 100+ million dollars in profit Mojang made last year didn't make them all millionaires already. =P Is Microsoft going to be getting much in the way of the company's brains, or are they just getting the name, IPs, etc?

Just after the deal Persson could turn round to all the employees and say "Right guys, I'm giving you all a $20 million bonus. I don't care if you quit after that and leave this company empty."

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

yeah im taking this as a rumor until proven otherwise. but if the deal does come true, xbox fans should be extremely pissed.

The Fury said:
Zanten said:

Just after the deal Persson could turn round to all the employees and say "Right guys, I'm giving you all a $20 million bonus. I don't care if you quit after that and leave this company empty."

Pretty much. x_X I mean, didn't a lot of the veteran brains in Rare behind Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie, etc, etc, leave before, during or after their acquisition by Microsoft, leaving behind the name, IPs, etc as well? I've heard it mentioned before, but can't say for sure.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

That's a lot of money. I just wonder if it's worth it. I mean that has to be the main reason they're paying so much for it.

Soundwave said:

That's like saying Disney could finance 100 movies instead of buying the Star Wars IP. 

The fact is you could start 20 different studios and none of them would likely make anything as popular as Minecraft. 

Fine, spend $1 billion on Minecraft and then spend $100million on 10 other studios. Disney bought Marvel for $4billion in 2009, pretty sure from the films and merchandise sales they have made this and more back already. How will MS make that much money on a company that can only generate $100 profit a year. Unless they develop something amazing, then it will take 20 years to break even, if it consistantly sells, which it won't.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Soundwave said:

Fine, spend $1 billion on Minecraft and then spend $100million on 10 other studios. Disney bought Marvel for $4billion in 2009, pretty sure from the films and merchandise sales they have made this and more back already. How will MS make that much money on a company that can only generate $100 profit a year. Unless they develop something amazing, then it will take 20 years to break even, if it consistantly sells, which it won't.

MS just recently financed something like 6 new game studios. 

If it's not your money, really what do you care if they break even? Apple likely won't ever break even on the Beats headphones purchase ... who really cares?

These companies have more money than they know what to do with. 

Pretty sure MS looks at Minecraft as more than just a game series, they are probably looking at the upcoming Hollywood movie and merchandising aspects as well. They are buying a brand, not just a game.