By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A weaker Wii and 3rd party support- Mistake or brilliant move by Nintendo?

@ Blue3 & others This generation isn't about ports and who gets the best version, the whole reason that Nintendo went the way that they did is because they want to 'differentiate' themselves between the other competitors. If you look at it in terms of the multi-platform games whether controls are better on Wii or whether graphics are better on the other two the other two will win people's favour HANDS DOWN. The Wii is all about providing an experience for the consumer that they can't find on another console. Don't anyone think that the Wii is selling for any other reason other than Wii Sports... the massive sales and constant 'sold outness' is due in one and only because of Wii Sports. Again it's all about differentiation, GameCube lost because it was just more of the same of what PS2 and Xbox had, there wasn't anything fantastic that set it apart from the competition. Plus it was a Purple Lunch Box and had an ugly controller - - what the hell were Nintendo thinking... honestly. This generation will not be settled by the 'gameplay is better than graphics' argument that Nintendo fans use... yes gameplay is more important but just because it's using the Wii Remote doesn't mean it's better... in most cases it's NOT better but in a select few that I have experienced so far it IS better, however this generation wont be decided by those games. This generation will be decided on whether consumers want that something 'different' that something more 'simple', and on a mass market scale that is a much better business model than focusing on the hardcore like Sony and Microsoft do. If you think this generation is being controlled by ports, multi-platform of 3rd parties that are just doing your typical control's using the Wii Remote. I think i'm going around in circles now but just remember there are many things that the Wii can do that the other systems currently can not because of the fundamental difference in the controller, so far we've only seen it in Wii Sports (YES THAT IS ALL!) and there is no way that Wii Sports can be replicated on the other systems.

Around the Network

OriGin, by what you're saying, it's still sounds like "It's all about the games" in the end.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Yeah it is.

BUT it's about having a totally different type of game that can't be done on the other systems for different reasons other than 'my graphics are better than yours' etc

Have you read any analysis on Nintendo's blue ocean strategy?

BTW I like your post as well, I think I am mostly in agreeance with you. 

I've read some tidbits of blue ocean, and from what I understand of it, Nintendo seems to be trying more than other "blue ocean" companies to offer something to both the "blue" ocean and the "red" ocean. Out of sheer curiosity I've actually been "designing" my own Wii games, made completely for the wii's controls. Still rough draft writing/sketches, but I'm actually getting a kick out of it. And it's all John Lucas's fault for giving me the idea! :p

vanguardian1 said:
I've read some tidbits of blue ocean, and from what I understand of it, Nintendo seems to be trying more than other "blue ocean" companies to offer something to both the "blue" ocean and the "red" ocean. Out of sheer curiosity I've actually been "designing" my own Wii games, made completely for the wii's controls. Still rough draft writing/sketches, but I'm actually getting a kick out of it. And it's all John Lucas's fault for giving me the idea! :p

What post of mine inspired you vanguardian? Thanks for the props by the way.

2007 is the build-up/transition period. 2008-2009 is the period where developers dig into the system to give us never before seen games and experiences. Games that go far beyond being unportable.

Wii's not only going to be the best selling console of all time it's about to become a cultural phenomenon that will define 2000s decade flashbacks. In the 1970's we had the 8-track, In the 1980's we had the personal computer, In the 1990's we had the world wide web, In the 2000's we had the Wii.

Check back with me in twenty years.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

When you suggested a new Blaster Master for the wii, Mister Lucas. The ideas have been coming so hard I'd almost rather have my mental processes go back to being the lazy brain cells they once were. ;) Think of how flexible your vehicle was in the NES game. Now look at the wiimote and nunchuck attatchment. Notice how you have 2 independant tilt-capable devices, as well as an analog stick and pointer? The things you could do with that would make Halo's vehicle controls and combat seem dull and dreary. *u* Of course have a co-op function where a 2nd person controls a turrent, or even the main gun. :) And outside of the vehicle it would focus like a "light tactical fps" game. How about using your nunchuck's tilt funcion to peek around corners without exposing yourself? Or maybe just sneak behind an enemy and cut their throat. :) I should draw my idea and make it into an animated gif. I used to be real good at mechanical drawing, having grown up drawing nothing but transformers. ;) My own game idea would take an actraiser type setup, use a 3d 3rd person zelda type engine, ALMOST sandbox style (or just an upgraded twilight princess's engine even), and combine aspects of both twilight princess's controls and Godfather : Blackhand's controls (left hand nunchuck, right hand wiimote) to create an experience where you can grab just about any weapon, including a pair of swords, and use them in various styles of combat. Outside of combat you could even help your "community" expand through various types of missions of even action=result type minigames that would reward your efforts (like clearing out a local mythril mine to assist a blacksmith for better weapons/armor for both you and your army), or expanding your community to increase the local population = bigger army support for sieging enemy fortifications, or even defending your own. :) I've already outlined a full bloody story for the game. 0.o And as usual John Lucas, your statements are just so far out of the ballpark I can't tell if it's fair or foul. ;)