By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Illumi-room, What's up, can we get some love?

shikamaru317 said:
MoHasanie said:
shikamaru317 said:

I really liked Illumiroom, but from what I heard they cancelled research on it because they decided it would cost too much to produce for them to successfully market it.

With any luck some features of Illumiroom will get integrated into the supposed Fortaleza AR glasses they are now working on.

That's confirmed? 

Yeah, pretty sure it was somebody on the Xbox team who said they either postponed it or cancelled it. 

i think the official line was "no plans to bring to market in the immediate future".

Around the Network

Illumi-room was a really cool (albeit expensive) concept. Unfortunately, for me at least, it seems to be obsolete with the inevitable relase of VR headsets like the Oculus Rift. It just doesn't make sense to release it when it will be more expensive and less immersive than a headset.

How would the X1 even be able to render the graphics?
I mean its already giving developers problems reaching full resolution in the tv itself let alone have extra power for illumiroom.

A projector that does not have to be very bright (as it is background images) = $100.
Some kind of camera that scans the environment = existing in Kinect.
Effect loss for rendering two pictures = Wii U can do it!

If MS were in Sonys position you may have seen this, but devs are not going to be implementing illumi room features exclusivley for the console with the smallest install base.

In fact even if this tech was multiplatform, i don't think you would see devs investing in it, without some heavy financial backing from the creator.

Around the Network

There are accessories to Xbox One that are sold for as much as a X1 console:
Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition 2 for Xbox One - $199
XBOX One Berserker: Titanfall Modded Controller - $299
Thrustmaster Xbox One/PC Ferrari 458 Italia Edition TX Racing Wheel with 4060047 Ferrari GT F458 Challenge Wheel - $426

If Wii U can do the two screen processing, the X1 should be able too. As it is not HD quality on the illumiroom screen there would not be any problem really?

If it can make the Xbox One seem like the luxuary choice it would help its sales. Like Corvette improving the feel of Aveo.

its just too expensive and too troublesome to put up. its really cool, but i think MS them selfs said they have no plans to release it.

I suspect it's hanging out with the vitality sensor somewhere.

I always thought it was interesting but impractical for most of the market, and expensive. I think it may see much better use, and at least initial release in the professional world. Blow people's socks off with sales pitches and the like. And of course public promotional displays. In home entertainment use, if it ever comes will be some time away I expect.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

There are a few games that already can produce two images simultaneously:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_PlayStation_3_games http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games_with_3D_support
I do not know how many of you that use the 3D option, but if MS ditched 3D for an exclusive game and instead added the possibility to use your own projector, all that would have to be added is the scanning device (if it is not already in Kinect).