By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why is PS3 dead in Japan?

Japan is more important than some Sony fans seem to believe.. If PS3 numbers plunge back down to 10k or less like last year, and 360 goes back to selling PS3 in America like usual, 360 will likely be selling PS3 worldwide again, as I don't think Europe would be able to offset the balance. Japan is a major factor in keeping PS3 sales above 360 WW and if they start to lose sales in Japan we could go back to seeing similar trends to last year.

Around the Network

RE5 was announced.

Kasz216 said:
RE5 was announced.

Wow. When did this happen? Or am I completely out of the loop?

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Moneybags said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Its not selling well because Sony has turned the PS3 into a Western Console to compete with the 360 abroad.

Simple as that.

^This. Very good point. Is this one of the reasons you don't really like PS3?

I don't like the PS3 because it was a clumsy arrogant and awkward product forced onto the market three to five years before it was economically viable. Forced Blu-Ray on any PS3 consumer increasing the price tag exponentially. And since then has offered many games either ruined by the pitiful six-axis, ridden with glitches due to poor programming, that look better on the 360 or require loading large chunks of data onto the HDD.

Not to mention the PS3 has all but abandoned Backwards Compatibility and even when it did have it, the system required firmware updates to make it work right and adaptors to use memory cards and other accessories. Let's also not forget "Rumble" being last gen, yet now they somehow miraculously find a way to include it but at the same time not bundle it with the console.

Call me picky, I know, but that's just how I troll.

Fix'd

RE5 has been slated for the Ps3 and 360 for a while now, though Capcom said they'd be willing to make a Wii version as well.

Around the Network
Girl Gamer Elite said:
RE5 has been slated for the Ps3 and 360 for a while now, though Capcom said they'd be willing to make a Wii version as well.

And with that, I shoot myself in the face.

All the talk that goes around RE5 and how well RE4 did and such, I assumed that it hadn't really been discussed/announced by Capcom yet. 

Rumor has it RE5 will be made a Wii exclusive, however this is just from one of the popular video game rumor vendors in the industry, no one else has coroborated it yet or even hinted at its likelihood.

While the RE5 petition is gaining more and more ground every day, there is plenty of room for the game to go either direction.

@DMeisterJ

Speaking of Trolls, which one of us is actually making constructive arguments and participating in discussion (me) and which one is making hit and run comments attacking an individual out of context of the discussion (you)?

FishyJoe said:
You're missing the point. They can't cut the prices any more without taking huge losses because they are already selling well below cost in Japan. And they can't get more developers to make games because the install base is so small in Japan.

but microsoft can......... um no.... this will be the last gen xbox gets any love from anyone in japan. nintedo and sony will get all the support. and since they sell well in the other parts of the world they well get mopst of the western support also

Stever89 said:

So is the PS3 in trouble in Japan? Not yet. You can't look at GC and PS3 sales and say "oh the PS3 isn't selling better than the GC was in Japan at this point." By the time the GC got to where the PS3 is now, the PS2 had over 10 million in Japan. The competition was too far ahead and too strong. Thus the GC sold poorly. The situation is a lot less dire in Japan, with only 5.37 million Wiis vs. 1.95 PS3s. The PS3 has to do 2 things this year: it has to move consoles, and it has to show it can move software as well.

That's a pretty poor argument. For Japan sales I could just as easily make the argument that the PS3 is in a worse position than the GC because the Wii is selling faster than the PS2. Which argument seems to be born out by the facts? Probably neither, yet.

Girl Gamer Elite said:

Rumor has it RE5 will be made a Wii exclusive, however this is just from one of the popular video game rumor vendors in the industry, no one else has coroborated it yet or even hinted at its likelihood.

While the RE5 petition is gaining more and more ground every day, there is plenty of room for the game to go either direction.

@DMeisterJ

Speaking of Trolls, which one of us is actually making constructive arguments and participating in discussion (you) and which one is making hit and run comments attacking an individual out of context of the discussion (me)?

Fix'd.

But really.  What constructive argument are you making?  All I can see is that you hate Sony because of Firmware updates.... very constructive.