By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Empire Magazine - The 100 Greatest Games of all Time

Damn, almost had a heart attack when i saw Skyrim at top spot

For me TLoU is not even the best PS3 game from 2013, so no, i don't agree. But it is very good, inside my top 20 for sure.

Around the Network

no demons souls makes me sad...

If new games can make it really high, how come Fire Emblem: Awakening wasn't on the list at all. I wonder if they even played the Nintendo games or just rated them on critical reception.

bigtakilla said:
Raziel123 said:
daredevil.shark said:
BTW it seems the list was made by someone who has started gaming after 2000.

Or maybe someone who isn't stuck in the past..

Or made by someone who doesn't know video games.... Empire magazine, lol.

I don't know who they are, but it's a better top than many out there. I started gaming in the 80s. This idea that these "tops" must be filled with ancient games, specially in the top slots, is silly and just for show/pretensiousness.

Raziel123 said:

I don't know who they are, but it's a better top than many out there. I started gaming in the 80s. This idea that these "tops" must be filled with ancient games, specially in the top slots, is silly and just for show/pretensiousness.

If the gameplay is better than modern games, then yes. It's the best games of all time, not the most technically advanced games of all time. I don't agree with putting influential games high up, but I don't think the newest games are nessecarily the best.

Around the Network
Raziel123 said:
bigtakilla said:

Or made by someone who doesn't know video games.... Empire magazine, lol.

Who said they needed to be?

mZuzek said:
ninjaman003 said:
If new games can make it really high, how come Fire Emblem: Awakening wasn't on the list at all. I wonder if they even played the Nintendo games or just rated them on critical reception.

It has no hype surrounding it and it's not available on home consoles. This automatically means it can never be a great game.

Portable games never get any sort of recognition.

Also, it's Empire magazine. I could make a top 100 list and be more credible than those guys.

Not bad. Chrono Trigger should of been a bit higher.

Shenmue @ 7....... (my personal number 1 still to this day)........ nice to see it get some acknowledgement though.

mZuzek said:
ninjaman003 said:

It has no hype surrounding it and it's not available on home consoles. This automatically means it can never be a great game.

Portable games never get any sort of recognition.

That doesn't make it any worse of a game. Pokemon Red/Blue was on this list, and most importantly hype does not make a game better. 

I understand that is the reason it's not on the list, but I don't think it's a very good reason. I have had a Wii/Wii U and a ds/3ds and my favorite games are mostly spread evenly between them.