By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 6 month report - PS3 Japan

According to VGChartz, total Japanese Hardware sales for the PS3 since launch (Nov11) is about 910,000 consoles.
Total Japanese Software sales for PS3 is about 1,176,000. That puts the software/tie ratio at 1.3 games per console.
Now! Some questions:
What does Sony need to do to get back the Japanese Market?
What can they do to convince people to buy the PS3 instead of the PS2?
Do they NEED to get Japan to buy the PS3 so soon? They are already selling alot of PS2 software afterall. (more than Wii for quite a few weeks in 2007 so far)
Do you think Sony will try to come up with ways to get some of the new gaming markets that Nintendo is opening up in Japan? (aka games for girls / games for older people / games for non-gamers / a new portable system)
Well I added a chart, comparing Wii hardware to PS3 hardware, to give you guys an idea of where they are in terms of sales:
dunno if you guys can see the image, but they're graphs comparing PS3 to Wii in Japan, and PS3 to 360 in japan.

Around the Network

Japan is hurting for games more so than the rest of the world imo.  it is quite important to at least increase sales in Japan.  its already killing the 360 in sales there, but it needs to gain more ground from Japan than that.

i think the ps3 will continue to sell like this.  sales around 11-15k/week, then when a decent title comes out, it will spike a little.  not until 2008 will they start selling ps3's there imo.  Home might make some noise too.   but if you look at the titles being released 2007 that will appeal to the Japanese, you have DMC4, WKS, and possibly HS and NGS.  not until 2008 will MGS4, Tekken 6, GT5, LBP and the FF games be released, but these games will surely increase sales, and i'm thinking dramatically.

In the short term Sony needs one of 2 things if they wanna make that big of a come back. Games and lots of them, or a redesign of the console. I am not insulting the console, I am just saying that right now in the short term those are the only 2 things that could pull Sony up into popularity again. I do believe that Sony will pull out a little bit over the Holidays due to the obvious holiday boost and the infamous exclusives that it has coming. (MGS4, FF13, Lair, Killzone2, Heavenly Sword, Etc). Just as long as they don't blow E3 again... I still watch that footage just for kicks. "RIIIDGE RACER!!!" But I guess most companies would invest a lot in a recovery plan for next year after something like that. In the long term, Sony needs to start getting third parties to start showing off what the console is capable of. It has discs capable of storing 50gb of space and the only game that is coming out said to use up the majority of that space isn't even out yet. They need to reach out to third party developers again and start giving a damn about the support they give to them. They need to get Home released. They need to enlarge their first party Developer Teams. Third Party's aren't really doing very much for them. Fix up that online service of theirs. Start being the first console that gives a damn about Europe and Australia and the other countries which usually get screwed for released dates. They could easily steel those markets away from Nintendo and Microsoft. Anything I left out?

Games. The PS3 has none. Gundam Mousou showed that good games can sell well. Unfortunately, there are only 2-3 games that have come out that were any sort of major titles (Gundam Mousou, RR7, AC4, and VF5). Software sales are in horrible standing right now for what was such a beast. Sony needs to formulate a plan to get some major support. However, with the fact that most J-devs are going to PS3/360 formats (Last Remant, Trusty Bell, DMC4, ect, ect,ect) the PS3 will always get a 2:1 advantage to the 360 for those games (which is great for the 360, as it had none of this kind of support last gen). This will help it get some decent sales. When the PS3 has about 2 rather large games (+100k unit sales) per month, we should see weekly sales solidify into around 40k a week once a small price drop occurs.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

According to Bandai, Gundam sales were a huge disappointment on the PS3.