By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why should I be excited about Guillermo Del Toro's SIlent hill involvement?

In my limited opinion, as I haven't seen all of his movies, this guy mostly makes "popcorn movies." I will admit I really liked Blade 2, that was probably the last thing he made that resembled a horror movie, though it was mostly action, and that was more than a decade ago. Blade 2, Cronos,(I might have seen this but forgotten) The Devils Backbone(saw but do not remember a good thing about) and Mimic(generic/stunk) are really his only forays into the horror genre unless you consider the creature design in Pans Labrynth(which by genre is a drama). He has done some executive producer(which usually means next to nothing) work on a few horrors since but I dont see what this guy will do  for silent hill since most of his movies are action movies(obviously not a genre that oozes plot).

I know most people think Silent Hill has stunk for a long time now and I guess its good to get new bood in the pool of ideas, but other than that I dont see what he adds to fold. I dont really like Kojima as a storyteller, but I am sure his vast years as a lead game designer can always be an addition to any game no matter how small the role. Del Toro isnt known for his writing(outside of Pans Labrynth) Is Del Toro a big gamer? A big Silent Hill fan? Whats the big deal?

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

He's a name, somewhat known in the industry regardless how big. As for Kojima, he may not even have much of a hand in it. Slap Kojima Productions on something and everyone goes nuts, regardless if he has little to no involvement in the game.

Because you touch yourself at night. jk
Dude is del toro+kojima if you don't get excited by that then that simply means that it is not for you, simple as that.

because he is awesome.

i love this man for his work on hellboy alone.  he creates such great worlds, imo.

Because Pan's Labyrinth was a creepy beautiful horror fantasy masterpiece

Around the Network

I'm of the opinion that del Toro is a master of horror, even if many of his movies don't fall under that classification. I've never seen a filmmaker so connected to his own nightmares and so good at manifesting them onscreen.

As Broom says in Hellboy, "there are things that go bump in the night..." Del Toro brings those things to life in an authentic and unnerving way.

Just go watch The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, The Orphanage, and comme back to tell me he only does "popcorn" movies again and there's no reason to be excited.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Also, just play P.T. and tell me it's not horrifying.
Their collaboration is already giving birth to great things, so yeah, we should all be excited.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

jlmurph2 said:
Because Pan's Labyrinth was a creepy beautiful horror fantasy masterpiece

This, one of the best movie i have seen.

kitler53 said:

because he is awesome.

i love this man for his work on hellboy alone.  he creates such great worlds, imo.

HIs IMDB further cements my point about him mostly making "popcorn flicks." He didnt create Hellboy, though he did play a part in writing both movies stories and screenplays. The world of Hellboy was created by several other people in the 10 years prior to the film.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling