By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New PS3 and PS4 models coming: linking the gap?

I don't see much internal changing happening in the PS4. Yh, in a few years the APU may be made a little smaller but its already on a 28nm process so we shouldn't expect size reductions too soon. The only place i see them saving space is with the GDDR5 ram. Right now they are made up of 512MB clamshell modules. In 2-3 years they very well could be 1GB clamshell modules instead.

As for PS3, I don't even i understand why sony still makes them. Ah well, royalties money is great no matter where they come from I guess.

edit

This is also old news, the PS4 in question was probably the white PS4 SKU.

Around the Network

Nope. Way too soon for PS4 remodel and it doesn't need a response right now with the incoming Destiny boost, FC4 favoritism, LBP3 (it will sell PS4s even with PS3 release I know I'd never think of buying it on old gen), Driveclub, and of course the usual Europe domination.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Intrinsic said:

I don't see much internal changing happening in the PS4. Yh, in a few years the APU may be made a little smaller but its already on a 28nm process so we shouldn't expect size reductions too soon. The only place i see them saving space is with the GDDR5 ram. Right now they are made up of 512MB clamshell modules. In 2-3 years they very well could be 1GB clamshell modules instead.

As for PS3, I don't even i understand why sony still makes them. Ah well, royalties money is great no matter where they come from I guess.

edit

This is also old news, the PS4 in question was probably the white PS4 SKU.

In fact, because it's too soon to make dramatic change to the PS4, but they registered the new PS3 and PS4 model together, that's why I'm suggesting that there might be a link between the two.

Microsoft released a slimmer Xbox 360 to match the design of the Xbox One, but the super slim PS3 however has been criticized for it's poor build and design.

So it would make sense that, because the PS4 is  also not backward compatible, they release a new smaller PS3 model to accompagny the PS4. And Sony still makes the PS3 because it's the most selling old-gen console, there's a user base of 80 millions users, so developpers won't stop developping for it anytime soon.

Potential $149 PS3 incoming.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

BraLoD said:

Really? SS looks way better than the Slim to be honest.
But the original still looks the best.

It doesn't matter if you have poor taste. Objectively, the first model, while the most robust, looked crazy ugly and big.

The Slim clearly is the best aesthetically while retaining robustness AND it was almost as small as the super slim.

The super slim is criticized every where, including by me because I have one, as having a very poor built which is the case, and bad design.

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:

Probably would be the price point.

I don't know exactly what could be the size, or rather what they would have to get rid off to really cut the size (digital only, no CD? internal SSD, no HD?), except for the reduce board, vent and chips.

Also it would be interesting, since there is high chances that this model or a next one will be released to match and accompagny the PS4, to see if Sony will allow the two to  be linked like the PSThree was a backward compatibility plugin for the PS4.

Ka-pi96 said:
Interesting. Possible price cut incoming?

Bingo.

$50 or higher pricedrop incoming.

Tamron said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Interesting. Possible price cut incoming?

Bingo.

$50 or higher pricedrop incoming.

I was surprised they never announced a price cut at E3. The PS3 and 360 desperately need price cuts. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

goulibouli said:
Solid-Stark said:

Probably would be the price point.

I don't know exactly what could be the size, or rather what they would have to get rid off to really cut the size (digital only, no CD? internal SSD, no HD?), except for the reduce board, vent and chips.

Also it would be interesting, since there is high chances that this model or a next one will be released to match and accompagny the PS4, to see if Sony will allow the two to  be linked like the PSThree was a backward compatibility plugin for the PS4.

A 28nm RSX/22nm Cell would decrease the mobo and cooling size by a fair amount. I fixed two PS3's and they were the 90nm Cell/RSX and the 65nm Cell/ 90nm RSX, and the mobo and cooling where impressively smaller in comparison. They don't have to redesign the case, but a console with new chips would be filed as a new model. No disc drive would further reduce the size (and costs) but it's easier to have one SKU to make things simple for consumers.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

goulibouli said:
BraLoD said:

Really? SS looks way better than the Slim to be honest.
But the original still looks the best.

It doesn't matter if you have poor taste. Objectively, the first model, while the most robust, looked crazy ugly and big.

The Slim clearly is the best aesthetically while retaining robustness AND it was almost as small as the super slim.

The super slim is criticized every where, including by me because I have one, as having a very poor built which is the case, and bad design.

While he may have poor taste in thinking that the Super Slim looks better than the Slim, you exhibit an equally poor taste in aesthetics by stating that the original model is "crazy ugly".  At least when standing up, the PS3 Phat is a great looking machine, size be damned.  I must confess, however, that when sitting flat it looks pretty bad.

Conversely, the Slim model looks fantastic when sitting flat but looks absurd when standing up.

The Super Slim looks like crap in either position.