By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How difficult is C++???

(Keep in mind I'm only in middle school).....Well I just made a little averages program on Dev C++ and it was fairly easy...My question is how hard are the other parts of C++??? (ie. you know, longer lines of code, game programming, etc)

Oh and BTW, if anyone wants the codes, just ask me....You know, for that averages thing I made..

Around the Network

That depends on what you want to do with C++. It's a very complex and powerful language, and mastering it takes years. Of course, if you just want to do some simple programs with little need for the advanced features of the language, then it's easy to use.

To be good at C++, you need to know about OOP - Object Oriented Programming (which is the most used paradigm in C++ programming, although others are possible). A good C++ book should teach you about OOP too.

The bottom line is that it's much more important to learn about algorithms than about a specific language, although the latter is also important if you want to make big programs (such as a complex game). The only way to master a language is to program a lot. However, reading books and looking at other people's code also helps.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It isn't difficult at all. In fact, I'd say it's incredibly easy. I'm in my first year of my university's Game Development and Entrepreneurship program, and my Programming course is using C# (basically an updated version of C++) and it uses very simple syntax even for the most complex tasks.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

C++ itself isn't hard, in fact, the basic concepts are easy and something you can apply to *many* other languages. The hard parts come in applying those basic components to harder things and that's more logic/math than C++.

I'd say if you're interested buy C++ In a Nutshell and work through that book. After you get through that book, start buying some data structures books (don't remember the name of the book I like) and start branching out to other object oriented languages and even other types of languages like functional ones.  Want to have a lot of fun and power with an added bonus of insane frustration?  Learn assembly (I love assembly language).

Take that logic you learned with the basics of C++ and the things in a good data structures book and start applying them to other languages.

After that, figure out what you want to do. Want to do games I take it? Learn physics and math.

thekitchensink said:
It isn't difficult at all. In fact, I'd say it's incredibly easy. I'm in my first year of my university's Game Development and Entrepreneurship program, and my Programming course is using C# (basically an updated version of C++) and it uses very simple syntax even for the most complex tasks.

C# is not an updated version of C++, it's actually simpler (in the same way as Java, just much better and more modern than Java).

C++ is much harder than C# when you start getting into the advanced features of the language. It's also more powerful, but few people need such power.

I like both languages, and would recommend C# for writing most programs. C++ is for the power-programmer, who needs top of the line efficiency and flexibility.

Around the Network

I'm probably not the best person to give advices as I have only taken intro C++ at the college level. I'm moving on from there and next semester will go deeper into it. I would say I've done harder things in my life that C++.

If you feel you can think analytically and logically you should be fine. But my biggest advice is to start now in middle school. You would have a real jump in programming if you get the basics out of the way.

Good luck.

thekitchensink said:

It's funny they keep teaching people C# even though most studios don't use it.

And for the record-- I hate Java.  I don't know why but I just suck at it. 

Yeah, I heard Java wasn't so fun, I heard it's also slower than C++.....But my cousin told me for games, Java has better graphics, is this true???

Oh and here is my Averages program for anyone who wants to use it...(LOL no one does) *NOTE THIS IS NOT MINE, I COULDN'T FIND MINE SO I FOUND AN EXACT COPY ON YOUTUBE AND POSTED IT ON HERE*

*TOOK TOO MUCH ROOM/WAS ANNOYING* PM me if you want it (still, no one does)

Aye, C# is NOTHING like C++. Now to compare C# to java... I could give you that.

C# is a breeze to learn and if you're not looking to program games, it usually can do most of your needs (download Visual C# express edition to play with it). C++ in my opinion, can be pretty obnoxious though it's not terrible (I just hate memory management). A good way to get a feel for the language is to try and do a program that's a little more complicated (i.e. requires a few classes).

supermariogalaxy said:
Yeah, I heard Java wasn't so fun, I heard it's also slower than C++.....But my cousin told me for games, Java has better graphics, is this true???

Yes, most languages are slower than C++. Of the most used languages, the only ones which are faster than C++ are C (or C++ without the object oriented part, which is basically C) and Assembly.

As for your second question, graphics have nothing to do with the language you use. Graphics are produced by the code you write and/or the libraries you use. If you use OpenGL, for example, it doesn't matter what language you use, since the graphics are produced by OpenGL.