By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

vivster said:
Trust me. Join the Asterisk master race. I watched hundreds of these things and Asterisk is clearly better. You're all focusing too much on content when Asterisk has the far superior execution.

The only thing that made me interested in Asterisk was Claudia and maybe the blue-haired girl teased at the end.

On the other hand, stuff like, "Ser Veresta is an Ogre Lux with a core of Urm Manadite," made me want to scream in a soul-devouring rage of fur and sparkles.

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:

I think you're focused a little too much on genre tags and not enough on what you actually watched. Let me give a brief synopsis below, and you decide which show I'm talking about:

The show takes place at a school for students gifted with skills we would largely classify as magic. At the beginning, the male MC accidentally walks in on a girl changing. It turns out that this girl is a powerful fire user who also happens to be a tsundere. Oh, did I mention she is also a princess? Not content with a simple apology, the firey tsundere insists on violence. The male MC and fiery tsundere end up fighting, where the fiery tsundere is surprised by the skill of the male MC.

Wow, look at that. You can't tell if I'm talking about Calvary or Asterisk, and what I just described was the bulk of the episode for Calvary, and around half the episode for Asterisk. Both have the potential to become harem anime to some degree, so I don't even get the point of bringing that up. Like I said, both are likely to diverge and at least become a little bit unique, but in the end, they will still be largely cookie cutter and will probably remain fairly comparable from the start of the season to the end simply due to the similar characters and setting.

The one area where they will clearly start moving apart is character motivation. In Asterisk, it's shaping up to be some mystery tale of revenge or some such, while Calvary hasn't made it all that clear on what the focus is likely to be for the character beyond "prove I'm not the weakest". It looks like they'll both be playing the tournament angle, so no real surprises are likely to come out of the general plot development.

The one thing Asterisk has on Calvary is that Asterisk had more exposition at first, so they have a slight mystery angle going on, while Calvary is looking to bring people back with character relationships and the show of the MC's power despite being called the weakest. From their 20 minute showings though, it seems highly presumptious to kickback and say that one of them will suck while the other will be a-ok.

What makes alot of the action animes interesting in the first place are supernatural powers like magic so I'm not convinced you can come to sweeping generalizations from that facet or with the school setting either ... 

Oh and what you described was from Asterisk War specifically because it was that heroine who insisted on the mock battle to humiliate the protagonist for peeping on her ... 

Actually, I can't see any potential for Chivalry to become harem going by other sources but it may have a skewed male to female ratio so I highly doubt they'll be comparable towards the end when we start delving into each of their story and events ... 

I'm not saying that Chivalry will suck and that Asterisk will succeed but that there are differences between them ...

fatslob-:O said:
What makes alot of the action animes interesting in the first place are supernatural powers like magic so I'm not convinced you can come to sweeping generalizations from that facet or with the school setting either ... 

Oh and what you described was from Asterisk War specifically because it was that heroine who insisted on the mock battle to humiliate the protagonist for peeping on her ... 

Actually, I can't see any potential for Chivalry to become harem going by other sources but it may have a skewed male to female ratio so I highly doubt they'll be comparable towards the end when we start delving into each of their story and events ... 

I'm not saying that Chivalry will suck and that Asterisk will succeed but that there are differences between them ...

I simply used the term violence, which applies to both. Although in Calvary, the actual battle was ultimately over the room, there was still the point in the office when fiery tsundere was ready to rip the male MC limb from limb as she erupted in fiery fury. In the end, both fiery tsunderes did turn to violence over peeking, and both pairs did battle even if the reasons for the battle differed ever so slightly (you are a pervert vs I think you'll do perverted things). I appreciate that you're trying to divorce the two, but hell, I even got slightly confused when I was typing that other post and had to make sure I was putting the right title in the right place, and that I was remembering events from one show and not the other.

In the end, I just don't expect them to diverge much, as most shows like this ultimately aren't that different. They'll try to toss in their own convention which may be good or eh. None of this means either show will necessarily be bad though. I enjoyed World Break a couple seasons back despite the fact that it was a pretty standard OP MC, harem, super power school set up. I enjoyed Absolute Duo even though it had a painfully predictable plotline as it followed an ultimately OP MC at a super power school. I've enjoyed more shows than I can count that follow the same tropes with a similar story. It ultimately comes down to how characters are developed, and in shows like this, how well choreographed and animated fights are.

Calvary and Asterisk may both be decent, and they may both be ass. Neither has done enough to really divorce itself from the other at this point though.

Kekkai Sensen was meh in overall but the finale was good ...

I don't even remember the reason why the Leon is in Hellsalem's Lot and the plot pretty non-existent. The Black & White filler felt tacked on but it had a good ending ...

The kid from One Punch Man reminded me of this guy.

Around the Network

Random Pic of the day: How about some yuri?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

vivster said:
Trust me. Join the Asterisk master race. I watched hundreds of these things and Asterisk is clearly better. You're all focusing too much on content when Asterisk has the far superior execution.

I don't want to say anything, but you're in the wrong group there bud :P

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Ka-pi96 said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Random Pic of the day: How about some yuri?

Korean anime? Also, the one on the right could pass for a dude quite easily...

Its actually japanese anime, just subbed in korean cause posters! Its called Idolmaster!!!

And its also yuri cause the theme of the poster is yuri for the day! But I do agree with u tho xP

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Team Rakudai!

...Actually I haven't seen Asterisks War yet, so I can't really say that. I picked Rakudai ahead of time because I liked the character designs and emphasis of a main duo, which implied there'd be plenty of shiptease for me. That could change later, but so far...it's met my expectations and more from that angle. I'm hoping it doesn't build up too much harem emphasis, since that would only detract from OTP time...but I'm half expecting several more love interests to show up based on how these shows usually go.

I also read that MC's sister is voiced by Nao Touyama. Couldn't say no after hearing that. *_*

Versus_Evil said:

Has anybody dropped anything yet? :3

I rarely drop anime in the middle of the season (with the exception of some long-running shounen maybe), but dropping it after the first episode makes even less sense to me. I suppose there are certain things I hope the first episode handles properly, but even if it fails that, I figure the series at least deserves a few more episodes to draw me in. I can think of a few series where it took me 5-6 episodes to get attached to the universe or main cast. 

I suppose I just like to research ahead of time what looks like it might interest me, rather than try everything and drop whatever doesn't pull me in right away. It's not perfect, but I find I'm not really dissapointed in my selections overall.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Nao is also in Asterisk war...lol.