By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Custom Next Gen Sega Dreamcast Console

I hardly post around here but figured you guys may appreciate this... 

Had some free time and I put together a Dreamcast inspired "next gen" gaming console...aka "Dreamcast 2". This "next gen" Dreamcast 2 can play Wii, Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast games in 1080p HD@60 fps and all classic games from the past. It can also play older and less demanding PC games (limited by HD5000).

See details below:

Step 1: disassemble a Dreamcast and mini PC you plan on using. In this case I used an Intel NUC with Intel Core i5-4250U, HD5000 Graphics, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA drive

Step 2: use dremel to cut an opening for the IO interface on the back and flatten the bottom of the Dreamcast. Use screws to attach NUC to bottom of the Dreamcast.

Step 4: wire the power/reset switch (same toggle switch in this case) and the power LED

Step 5: close everything and install OS (windows 8.1 in this case)

Step 6: Set up the software to your liking including the boot screen, emulator front end and controller interface for each emulator. Replace Windows explorer shell with the emulator front end (for direct boot to emulators)

Step 7: Brag to people about what you've done!

*Potential future upgrade: add a bluray drive. 

My next project: Sega Genesis and Sega CD combo running an i7 with GTX Titan. :D

Around the Network

You have my complete respect and admiration. 

That's so cool

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

This is actually really cool. Good work.

But does it have blast processing?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
fleischr said:
But does it have blast processing?

Sadly I couldn't get blast processing to work. But I do believe that "it's thinking!"

awesome work :)

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

You should have added Xbox compatibility would have been the ultimate sixth gen console.

PS: Are Wii games played with the 360 controller?

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

That's pretty sick. Excellent work.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Mr.Playstation said:
You should have added Xbox compatibility would have been the ultimate sixth gen console.

PS: Are Wii games played with the 360 controller?

For some strange reason Xbox is the only console that doesn't have working PC emulators, despite the fact it is itself a PC when it comes to components. 

In terms of 360 controller, a lot of Wii games work great with it once you map the controls (utilizing Dolphin emulator). Platformers like Mario Galaxy, Sonic Colors, Zelda are even better with the 360 controller IMO. Some games like Boom Blox and Wii Sports don't really work but ou can't win them all...