By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Indie dev2013 survey: average salary under $12k, average game sees under $500 in sales

Then I guess all the indie devs should just quit, because this industry sucks. That's the way these things work, right?

Or maybe they should make better games. When someone releases a game that stands out in absolutely no way, its no one's fault but their own that they didn't make any money. I know it can definitely be a tough industry to really break into, but I don't know of a whole lot of truly great games that weren't decently successful. If the average sales and salaries are low, it's because for every gem there are umpteen cheap ripoffs.

I hate ranting like this (mostly because someone usually ends up wanting to argue with me), but if you make a game just because you wish you were making a living making games, but it's a pixel art "KILL ZOMBIES NAOW" game, you've got no right coming and crying to/at/about us gamers. If you don't have a genuinely good idea and you don't put in a huge amount of time crafting and polishing the thing, you shouldn't even be trying.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network

The average probably takes a couple of months of work at most too.