By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA: DS sales up, PSP sales down

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/05/09/psp-remains-leader-of-ea-handheld-revenue/

PSP remains leader of EA handheld revenue

Posted May 9th 2007 12:30PM by Andrew Yoon
Filed under: News
Sony's handheld continues to drive profits to mega-publisher EA. According to Pocket Gamer, PSP games generated $258 million last fiscal year. In comparison, DS games only managed to generate $104 million. Similar figures were revealed last year, when EA admitted that they'd rather focus on Nintendo's handheld than Sony's, calling it a more "fun" system.

Although PSP sales make the largest portion of EA's handheld revenue, the company may spin the fact negatively. While $256 million is a sizable figure, it represents a 28 percent loss compared to last year. On the other hand, the DS platform seems to be gaining momentum for EA, as it has shot up 149 percent. We don't care too much about these numbers, though. As long as EA continues to make good, original games for our platform, PSP gamers have nothing to worry about.

Around the Network

149% is abig jump for anything, I had no idea of that. I heard EA is shifting focus to the Wii as well as opposed to the PS3

What good game has EA made for the DS? More than that, it's pretty obvious that they make games for the "core" gamer. It's pretty safe to say that a lot of the core gamers have PSPs and would buy the PSP version over the DS version. Not hating on the DS as I own one, but we have to be realistic. This may be the reason why so many companies are sticking with the PSP. The DS just isn't a good place for most of the "core" games.

Ea games will always sell better in Sony plattforms that in Nintendo ones .

Darkness said:
What good game has EA made for the DS? More than that, it's pretty obvious that they make games for the "core" gamer. It's pretty safe to say that a lot of the core gamers have PSPs and would buy the PSP version over the DS version. Not hating on the DS as I own one, but we have to be realistic. This may be the reason why so many companies are sticking with the PSP. The DS just isn't a good place for most of the "core" games.

I think MySims could be a good seller on the DS.

Around the Network

And yet the psp is seen as a failure even though its 2007 lineup is awesome ( GOW, BAttlefront, Wipeout, Crisis Core, Jean D Arc, Parrappa the Rappa, etc). The PSp has maybe a 10 % chance of ever catching up to the ds but its sales have improved since the price drop and its profitable for Sony so i guess with the increase of original content and exclusive to boot maybe tha chance has been increased to 11.

The PSP is only considered a "failure" because of the lofty expectations Sony placed on the portable's shoulders. Everyone thought it would unseat the DS, and initially it was set to. That is, until the DS Lite released, and then software started pouring out of every orifice. I don't consider the PSP a failure. It is the best handheld ever released alongside a Nintendo handheld. All others failed, and failed miserably. The PSP is a good stream of revenue and profit for Sony now. However, the chances of the PSP ever catching the DS are so small as to be considered nearly impossible. Have you seen the month on month sales of the DS vs PSP? Just between NA and Japan in March, the difference is about half a million units. That's before you count Europe. The gap is continually growing. Worldwide the difference is over 20 million. The PSP would have to start outselling the DS for a couple years before it can even think of passing it.

Dolla Dolla said:
The PSP is only considered a "failure" because of the lofty expectations Sony placed on the portable's shoulders. Everyone thought it would unseat the DS, and initially it was set to. That is, until the DS Lite released, and then software started pouring out of every orifice. I don't consider the PSP a failure. It is the best handheld ever released alongside a Nintendo handheld. All others failed, and failed miserably. The PSP is a good stream of revenue and profit for Sony now. However, the chances of the PSP ever catching the DS are so small as to be considered nearly impossible. Have you seen the month on month sales of the DS vs PSP? Just between NA and Japan in March, the difference is about half a million units. That's before you count Europe. The gap is continually growing. Worldwide the difference is over 20 million. The PSP would have to start outselling the DS for a couple years before it can even think of passing it.

Completely agree with everything, it is not a failiure that the PSP can't match DS sales. Sony should continue in the handheld market and they should have released a PSP lite after the DS lite came out...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!