By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The DualShock 4 Can Now Be Used Wirelessly On PS3

The DualShock 4 Can Now Be Used Wirelessly On PS3

One small step.

The PS4′s controller has been compatible with the PS3 since launch, though only if it was connected through a USB wire. However it now appears one of the recent updates allows for you to connect the controller and use it wirelessly. I just came across a tip on Reddit now, and had to try it out for myself, though the console doesn’t actually recognise the controller as an official Sony one. The step by step guide is as follows.

1. Connect DS4 with wire to PS3 then turn on.
  2. Go to Accessory settings.
  3. Select Manage Bluetooth Devices, and scan for device.
  4. While scanning hold the PS & Share buttons on the DS4.
  5. Select Wireless Controller. The DS4 light should now be white.
  6. Unplug wire and test it out.

This isn’t full recognition and as a result things like the PS button, as well as the vibrate and Sixaxis functions won’t work. But at least there is some support now.

Source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/07/01/the-dualshock-4-can-now-be-used-wirelessly-on-ps3/

Around the Network

Very nice..

Hah! DualShock 3 could already be used wirelessly on Ps3 already. What a dated piece of tech, that DualShock 4.

Why can't use PS button? Then how you access all the menus?

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Nice! My son and I play games on his PS3 still and I hate having to stay connected by wire.

Sidenote: I used his DS3 a few days ago to play PS3 and the thing feels so weird now. DS4 feels much better.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network

I assume that If i try that while i have the PS4 not unplugged in the same room, it'll turn on the PS4?

NICE!
Looks like I can go back and play some PS3 games I missed. So hard going back to DS3 after the DS4.

FentonCrackshell said:
Nice! My son and I play games on his PS3 still and I hate having to stay connected by wire.

Sidenote: I used his DS3 a few days ago to play PS3 and the thing feels so weird now. DS4 feels much better.

Could not agree more, I can even touch the D3 anymore, the D4 is so much better, it is almost ridiculous. I am actually searching for a good PS3 controler for a while, bought a Dreamgear Phenom but the thing broke in 3 days and never charged up, a gigantic piece of... bad hardware.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Great. Now the other way around please.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Raziel123 said:
I assume that If i try that while i have the PS4 not unplugged in the same room, it'll turn on the PS4?

That happened over a friend's before.  The PS4 turned on and made a beep despite having the power cable removed.  This is kinda useless, though, unless you have a DS3 sitting next to you for pressing the PS button.  I often look to check the charge of my controllers, switch games, etc.  Need  PS button support