By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A few notes on game submissions

TalonMan said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Are we adding VC/XBLA/PSN downloads to the database now?

Personally, I think we should hold off on that for now. I'd certainly like to see that happen, but we need to get what we already have, under control before veering off into new territory.

I like the idea and I agree that we absolutely need to have that - I just don't think we're ready yet. Besides, I'd REALLY want to see those things separated out from the actual console lists. There's no need to see Kirby64 listed for the Wii - rather, it should be listed for Wii-VC (which is a table that doesn't exist at the moment).

That's what I thought, but the database just got hit with a wave of PSN games so I had to ask.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Once we're allowing digital distribution games, that's a whole new ballpark, and we need XBLA, PSN, VC, WiiWare, Steam, GameTap, and whatever else, or maybe XB-XBLA, 360-XBLA, PS3-PSN, Wii-VC, Wii-WW, PC-Steam, PC-GT, or something. Some games appear in 3 or more of those, not to mention their original releases. It can definitely be done, and it can definitely be done well with the power of the kickass VGChartz crew, but yeah, I think we should wait a bit until we can at least handle the damn NES.

As soon as the database is ready for me, I'll be trying to finish all the NES games, since that's my forte, and then possibly all... 12 or so V-Boy games, just 'cuz it'll be quick and dirty.

Claude: I'd noticed that also. There haven't been many games added since ioi gave the word, but not everyone got the note apparently.

Rubang: The NES will be a mighty undertaking, and I'm glad it will be in good hands(that know how to spell). I just looked and there was just over 300 NES games, so that only leaves you with hundreds more to be add! :)

I had been working on TG/PCE games recently, going alphabetically through Gamefaqs. It's a little rough when you've already added dozens of games in succession, and then having to keep an eye out to not add a game twice(by it's different NA, EU, and JP titles). If I happen to finish the TG games first, I'll gladly help with the NES games. But if it's something you would rather do yourself, I'll move on to another system.

I intend to get all of the classic systems' libraries fleshed out. Before long it looks like we will have the GB, GG, SAT, NES, and TG pretty much up to speed. That's pretty impressive considering how old or under-exposed these systems are. Just knowing that there are thousands of games left to sift through is kind of exciting. Some of the titles are a hoot themselves, and the boxarts are often worth the effort alone.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

quigontcb said:
okr: thank you for your work on the DB. :)

There have been quite a few people that have put a considerable amount of work into the DB, both in the past and the present. To name one(and only one since the list could get long) Norlead has been a busy beaver on the GG and GB games, and it would be a shadow of itself if he hadn't been working so hard.

ioi: Will do(on holding off on adding new games). Since we shouldn't be adding games, now would be a good time for us to stockpile some boxarts in the meantime. :)

thanks, I appricate the mention. Just as a note, the GG is essentially complete. I think it is missing a handful of japanese games and games I couldn't find the boxart for. Also, some games were only released in "AS" which I never really looked up exactly what that region is supposed to be but I assume Asia, so I left it for now since we only have 3 regions.

I guess it would be nice if we had an "Other" region that we could specify what region it is. I don't know if you guys like the idea, or just make sure that ioi knows to make the database easily exapandable in terms of adding new regions to the list.

Also, you forgot to mention I've added some of the greatest shovelware and crap of all time onto various systems that would otherwise never be submitted

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

norlead, you're a game-adding god. Are you still planning on doing more on the GB section? There are 549 GB games in the DB, but God knows how many GB games there are out there. I'd imagine it would be quite large since GB also includes GBC titles.

And yes, all the shovelware fans out there owe you big time.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network

I plan on adding more, I figure there are roughly 500 GB games left, and then I have all the GBC games to add.

I know ioi includes the GB and GBC together, but it would be great of the game database if we could differentiate those games easier. For example, what if a game is named the same. It would be stupid to rename the game to "Tetris for GBC" if the real name was just "Tetris"

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Nice job, these were becoming huge pains for me.

All I can say is, don't put EA and EA Sports together. Really, they both make several games and I think it's fair to distinguish them.

well i used ign to see how the Publisher should be spelled

when are we going to have like PSN, X-Box Arcade, and WiiWare\ Virtual Console games sections?

I've noticed that nearly 4.000 boxarts are missing.

I've already updated some boxarts in the past (only some dozens, I have to admit) and want to help update some more.

Therefore my question goes to all ladies & gentlemen who are/were updating lots of games:

What's your preferred source(s) for boxarts?

the database needed a clean up. Well done ioi and co

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions