By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Isn't Sony Taking Advantage of Being In The Lead?

Because they don't have to.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
pokoko said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

SE doesn't make $60 off each game sold, I remember a thread a while ago making a chart of how much of the $60 the developers actually get, it was around $7.

As publisher, they'll get closer to $30 in return.

Really, it simply isn't worth the price.  Better they spend money on projects where they own the IP.

Ah didn't think of that.

good call pokoko that's easily as important as any of the factors i've been saying, it's tricky trying to balance the books between the two companies but I guess that lowers the value of the exclsive for sony and you lose a bit of the publishers power, so that's another reason to spend less money if your worried more about profit rather than pushing consoles

Buying order: Switch, better pc

gergroy said:
You do realize that even though sony is in the lead, out of the three console makers sony, by far, has the least amount of money to throw around at publishers.

lol jk post right here nintendo is in worst shape

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Locking by OP's request.

flint said:
VanceIX said:

"Friend discout"? What's that? Sony and SE aren't friends. They're corporations.

And in the digital era, where 30% of your sales can be digital, SE will be seeing a lot more than just $14 million in profit from FFXV on the Xbox One. 

SE made over $76 million in profit in 2012 over FFXIII-2 and Deus Ex. Around 40-50% of those were from FFXIII-2 alone, and it sold a lot less than FFXIII (and Final Fantasy XV will almost certainly sell much more).

That's around $20-30 million from just 1.5 million games sold. 

They seem pretty friendly as they help each out when needed, like recently with a share sale returning the old favour. Japanese companies are just slightly different.

If we go with your figures which I guess would account for a higher fraction for digital sales that's still a lot less than $120 mill, i'll go as high as $15 - $20 mill as the value of an exlusive to both those companies, no higher.

Like I said, the profits will be much higher this time around. A profit of $40 million on the One isn't out of question.

And where do they help each other? Sony bought stock in order to have more control over SE, and now that they are in trouble financially they sold it. The PR may twist it one way or another, but that's how it works, no matter where the company resides.

Also, Sony can't afford to throw $15-20 million dollars for exclusive rights. They are in a financial crisis right now, they need to save all the money they can. That money would be better spent on developing a new IP.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Sony is better off making killer exclusives under their banner than paying for third party games, which they realized during the 6th gen before releasing the PS3. With dev costs so high and mass appeal of brands such as MGS, Sony would have to pay mega bucks for locking down 3rd party games. It wouldn't be cost effective.

Personally I'm not a fan of locking down anything third party - be it the actual game or timed exclusive DLC. Let third parties do their thing and work on exclusive games - in house or out sourced.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

As others have said, why would they? They are going to let the numbers do all the talking/persuading. And when all multiplats are superior on your console, even if only by a little, and you have exclusive advertising/bundle rights, it basically acts like an exclusive as far as HW boosts go, anyway. So, yea, they don't need to.