By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Company market shares for 1st-7th gen and overall.

GameAnalyser said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Nintendo has always been big. Sony really made an impact when they joined though!

Microsoft's entry and the real impact in the 7th gen is commendable though.

Only took them 2 generations to surpass Sega. My chart doesnt include the Sega CD, 32x, or Nomad, but I doubt those 3 added up to more than 20 million.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network

Really shows how insignificant Atari really was to the gaming market. Basically one fluke console that got them into second place for that generation. The rest of it was just a fiery spiral of lying to their customers.

Nintendo did well every generation.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Good job!

Two minor comments; It's probably impossible to find out the numbers, but in reality, the Game & Watch line lasted from the second generation through the third until it was replaced by the GameBoy. That would affect the marketshare of both the second and third generations. Secondly, during the first generation, gaming was mostly about the Arcades. Atari and a couple others were a lot bigger than they look now, but I recognize that wasn't the point of the comparison. Like I said though, good job!

S.Peelman said:
Good job!

Two minor comments; It's probably impossible to find out the numbers, but in reality, the Game & Watch line lasted from the second generation through the third until it was replaced by the GameBoy. That would affect the marketshare of both the second and third generations. Secondly, during the first generation, gaming was mostly about the Arcades. Atari and a couple others were a lot bigger than they look now, but I recognize that wasn't the point of the comparison. Like I said though, good job!

Ah, yes. I know the Game & Watch lasted through the 3rd gen too, but I wasn't sure how to split it up. I suppose I could have found sales data for every unit, but that was.. outside my effort levels.

And you're also right about Atari in the 1st gen. They were huge in the Arcade world, but so was Nintendo. I just assumed there would be no sales data available for arcades so I didn't even try. Plus then I'd have to consider arcade machines in all generation.. It would get messy.