By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Poor Gibraltar.

Here is a prediction that is actually bold: Gibraltar will concede less than 10 goals against Germany!

With a loss against poland and a draw against Ireland, there's a good chance now that Gibraltar will win^^

Germany have done pretty poor so far, but I still don't think there is much if any chance that they won't wipe the floor with Gibraltar.

Depends if they're bringing their B or C team or maybe try something new and bring on the D team.

I just hope they don't take petty. They tend to do these things and stop scoring after 5 goals -.-

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Moyu said:
REDZONE said:
Fuck fuck fuck.Can't believe Utd drew that game.The ref was absolutely shit.

There's been plenty of refball for Chelsea this season tbh.

Care to elaborate in what games because I watched every single one, and maybe one or two odd calls.The ref was an absolute cunt in this game.

REDZONE said:
Moyu said:
REDZONE said:

Care to elaborate in what games because I watched every single one, and maybe one or two odd calls.The ref was an absolute cunt in this game.

The early yellow to Rafael was undeserved. If the ref was a cunt I'm pretty sure he was a cunt to BOTH teams

Plus I don't think United managed to score due to Chelsea being a 10 man side after the red, I think it had more to do with Chelsea not being able to park the bus for the remainder of the match which is a bit surprising considering Mourinho's tactics when it comes down to 1-0 advantage :P

Moyu said:
REDZONE said:
Moyu said:
REDZONE said:

Care to elaborate in what games because I watched every single one, and maybe one or two odd calls.The ref was an absolute cunt in this game.As

The early yellow to Rafael was undeserved. If the ref was a cunt I'm pretty sure he was a cunt to BOTH teams

Plus I don't think United managed to score due to Chelsea being a 10 man side after the red, I think it had more to do with Chelsea not being able to park the bus for the remainder of the match which is a bit surprising considering Mourinho's tactics when it comes down to 1-0 advantage :P

Di maria dived for that "foul", Ivanovic was marking Fellanni at set pieces, so yes Utd won due to us playing with 10 men.As usual they win/drew due to shady refereeing and Van Persie celebrating like he won d CL pathetic.

vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Poor Gibraltar.

Here is a prediction that is actually bold: Gibraltar will concede less than 10 goals against Germany!

With a loss against poland and a draw against Ireland, there's a good chance now that Gibraltar will win^^

Germany have done pretty poor so far, but I still don't think there is much if any chance that they won't wipe the floor with Gibraltar.

Depends if they're bringing their B or C team or maybe try something new and bring on the D team.

I just hope they don't take petty. They tend to do these things and stop scoring after 5 goals -.-

the d team is still much stronger than poor gibraltar.  they just have to score this time, they were stronger every game, but lost because they didnt scored enough.  maybe its finaly time to get kießling into the team

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Ballon d’Or nominations: Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Lionel Messi, Thibaut Courtois, Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Angel di Maria, Yaya Toure, Mario Gotze, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Andres Iniesta, Toni Kroos, Philipp Lahm, Javier Mascherano, Thomas Muller, Manuel Neuer, Neymar, Paul Pogba, Sergio Ramos, Arjen Robben, James Rodriguez, Bastian Schweinsteiger

Coach of the Year nomination: Jose Mourinho, Louis van Gaal, Carlo Ancelotti, Antonio Conte, Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klinsmann, Joachim Low, Manuel Pellegrini, Alejandro Sabella, Diego Simeone

If FIFA had their way, no one but Messi would win it. It's good for image and promotion. Yet I don't see how they can while he is cheating Spain out of taxes.

The award is weird anyway and should not take into account team competitions, it should be done on stats only so it would include all players from all leagues. Yes, sure a player might not be earning as much as Ronaldo and may only be playing in the French Division 2 but if they scored 15 more than anyone else in the league, set up more than anyone else and were easily the best player in that league, they should get a shout at this.

Positions shouldn't matter either, sadly I think the keepers even defenders will never get a shout at winning this because it's highly favoured in attacking players favour.

... right rant over.

Good luck to the only British player on the list (only because he's playing in Spain) and the only UK based player on the list that earned this nomination from his time in the Premier League, Hazard. I somehow don't think Di Maria will be on the list next year. :P

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

lol. I agree that it should be more about individual performance than how much the team won. But I don't think your example of someone dominating in the French 2nd division would really work. They really need to be able to dominate in a top division, that's where the most competition is.

I agree positions shouldn't really matter. But it's harder to tell how well a defender or goalkeeper has done. With attacking players you can just look at their assists and goals and use that to judge how well they've done. You could do the same with goals conceded for defensive players, but that doesn't really tell the whole story about them.

Oh... and there is another UK based player that earned his nomination from playing well in the Premier League... Yaya Toure?

Yeah, I know what you mean, top flight means tougher opponents and all that so maybe 2nd division might not be a good scale but just because they haven't been signed by a big club doesn't mean they weren't fantastic for their team and the league they were in.

Let's put this as an example, James Rodriguez in on that list. Sure he did well in the world cup but generally he's not done that well in the French league before his big money move. in the 13/14 season (based on stats from this website: http://www.espnfc.com/ ) he got 15 goals and 14 assists for Monaco and his country in 50 games. Impressive right? But it's not if you look at Wayne Rooney, who isn't on the list, he got in 49 games 24 goals and 19 assists. If it's based on personal achievement, already it fails because it's not representative on the player but the teams success too.

Another good example, new Southampton player Tadic, last season in 44 games he got 22 goals and 14 assists, just because he's playing in the Dutch league for Twente and now Saints means his personal stats should be ignored? He's playing top flight football in both the Netherlands and England as well as for his country.

The competition is favouritism sadly. 

Well, Rooney, just because he was on a shite team doesn't mean he wasn't good. Yaya, definitely and Aguero was far better than half that list above, if anyone should be on that list it's Aguero.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

Dunno about Rodriguez, I don't watch the French league so it may be that he did also play really well there. Although, stats aren't really everything, especially since Rodriguez is more of a midfielder so it would make sense that he doesn't score as many goals as a striker (Rooney). Although I expect a lot of the reason he was nominated was because of the World Cup.

I think you may be focusing on stats a bit much as well. It isn't an award for top goalscorer or most assists, it's for best overall player. It's also voted on by International coaches and players so that should hold a bit of weight. I would assume when they are voting they are thinking, which player would I least want in the opposition team and most want on my team, at least I hope they think that when they vote. That also does mean there is probably quite a bit of favouritism, but hey it's better than Blatter being the one to choose who gets the award

Also, congrats on the 10000th post in the thread

Rooney and Rodriguez play the same position nowadays. Rooney is no longer an all out striker for Man U, hasn't been for a few seasons. True about the world cup, but 4 or 5 games over an entire season of good games. The more I think about it the more the fact Yaya and Aguero not in this list is insulting to them and their efforts to win the league. I'm no fan of Man City and their buying their way to success but no one can deny Yaya and Aguero's ability as being 2 of the best players in the world today. Yaya last season got more goals in the 3 before that, including all of his time at Barcelona and he is a midfielder only.

Cheers, didn't realise. Hurray for me.

Hmm, pie.

REDZONE said:
Moyu said:

Di maria dived for that "foul", Ivanovic was marking Fellanni at set pieces, so yes Utd won due to us playing with 10 men.As usual they win/drew due to shady refereeing and Van Persie celebrating like he won d CL pathetic.

It wasn't a dive. 

https://vine.co/v/OhLx2dZTgAP

There were bad referee decisions, but they weren't as bad as Chelsea fans are making them out to be.

Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, Aguero could do with being in the list. But Yaya is already in the list.

I looked over that list loads of times, for some reason never read Yaya's name. What a fool I am.

Hmm, pie.