By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

I want to believe.

The more people write us off the better. On a good day we can still play good football, everyone just needs to play their best. Atletico is playing EL for a reason, they haven't been that good this year and hopefully they aren't fully focused on this.

But.. our defence is awful. Really awful. I can't see us keeping Griez & Costa from scoring. Especially Mustafi is horrible. I'd swap him for Lovren in a heartbeat. Atletico also presses high and our midfielders can't handle it.

Can't believe our luck though.. always draw Bayern or Barcelona and even on Europa league a fucking Atletico Madrid 😂

Around the Network
poklane said:
Ajax LOL

Cu in another 16 years

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

mZuzek said:
KiigelHeart said:
I want to believe.

The more people write us off the better. On a good day we can still play good football, everyone just needs to play their best. Atletico is playing EL for a reason, they haven't been that good this year and hopefully they aren't fully focused on this.

But.. our defence is awful. Really awful. I can't see us keeping Griez & Costa from scoring. Especially Mustafi is horrible. I'd swap him for Lovren in a heartbeat. Atletico also presses high and our midfielders can't handle it.

Can't believe our luck though.. always draw Bayern or Barcelona and even on Europa league a fucking Atletico Madrid 😂

Dude, get over it. You get to a semi-final of any competition, you're bound to face one of the favorites, it's just how it is.

(well, yeah, we're playing Roma, but... it should have been Barcelona if things had gone as "normal")

Get over what? I found it funny that in Europa league we face a top team that should be fighting for a CL title.

Ka-pi96 said:
mZuzek said:

Get over facing a top team in a semi-final. It's not bad luck, it's just how things go. Constantly getting Barcelona or Bayern in the UCL round of 16, sure, that you can be upset about, though it's still pitiful they couldn't win even once.

And nah, Atletico fighting for a CL title? They're not that good, as you said, they're in the Europa League for a reason. Their group was pretty tough, sure, but it's not like Chelsea have been incredible this season either. I agree they belong in the UCL more than the UEL, but I don't think they would have gotten to a semi-final had they not been 'relegated'.

They got to the semis last year, and were finalists the year before that. Their team hasn't got that much worse than those years.

Sometimes its a case that the team does even when the is little change, the team either gets figured out or members of the team can no longer consistently put in the performance from before Leverkusen were an example of where they got to the finals then got demolished in the following season and team they had wasn't even bad.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Sometimes its a case that the team does even when the is little change, the team either gets figured out or members of the team can no longer consistently put in the performance from before Leverkusen were an example of where they got to the finals then got demolished in the following season and team they had wasn't even bad.

Well they're also above Real Madrid in the league and Real made the semis.

Real had a god awful first half to the season though it was looking like Zidane was going to be sacked.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Well they're also above Real Madrid in the league and Real made the semis.

Real had a god awful first half to the season though it was looking like Zidane was going to be sacked.

You could say the same about Atlético, they fucked up at the beginning of CL, but it's not like they haven't been top quality this season, they are second in La Liga.  

2 games against good team and we play well in both. I bet you against Swansea, Bournemouth and Everton we are just crap and lose. :P

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:

Never would have thought Jay Rodriguez would score a league winning goal though

Jay is great. Wish he stayed with us and was given more of a chance but we had higher waged players to not score for us instead. :P

He made the right move and has done okay there at West Brom even if West Brom are crap.... like Saints.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
RolStoppable said:

(why is there football on Monday?)

Why isn't there football everyday? That's the real question!

There might be if you look at different leagues around the world.

Last edited by HomokHarcos - on 16 April 2018

It's always quite interesting how quickly a club can go to shit. Just 8 years ago FC Twente won their first ever Eredivisie title, and 48 hours from now they could have been relegated.