By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

In terms of performance combined with spirit I'd say Germany, Italy and Iceland are favorites to the title. Although I have to admit I haven't seen France play.

The determination on some of those Icelandic players faces after the game tells me they haven't finished their goal here yet.

Wales besides Bale is too weak.
Belgium is lacking a defining playstyle.
Poland has no clue how to play at all. Their performance after taking the lead their last game was abysmal. Maybe they know how to play when they are behind...
Portugal same as Wales, better overall players but their captain doesn't do for the team what Bale does for Wales.

Problem is that only one of those favorites will make it to the finals.

I kind of hope that Belgium starts living up to their quality as individuals but I'm afraid it's too little too late.

Around the Network

Based on what do people expect the English team to perform well in these tournaments?

weaveworld said:
Based on what do people expect the English team to perform well in these tournaments?

As Ka-Pi said above but in reality, we all know exactly how England will perform in tournaments... trust me. We all know.

EDIT: My English was terrible in this post. Still tired.

Hmm, pie.

LipeJJ said:

You did well.  

I 100% agree with the reasons as well. 

PS: I'm secretly hoping Belgium steals the show and win this Euro even if I know that probably won't happen. The reason? I love to see new powerhouses rising (like Spain did in 2008).

We don't need new powerhouses. What we need first is finally rewarding teams that have been great for a decade.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
weaveworld said:

Well they usually have pretty good individual players so they really should do better than they usually do.

So it's all about the coaches. In that case I can ask the same question again. 

Hope they get a young coach with a fresh look on the game and not afraid to make choices for the better of the team. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Fuck off Woy and take Neville and Wooney with you.

Clueless, Abject, embarrassing, fraudulent 'manager'. Should have been sacked after the World Cup.

He destroys players. Did it to Sterling at the World Cup and has done it to Kane and Alli at this cup.

Gold.  It was worth the wait :D 

BTW it's not Nice to make fun of people with speech problems.  

weaveworld said:

inflated transfer fees... Sterling alone should have defeated Iceland 1 vs 11 with 3-0... 

and i should have thursday or friday some free time to calculate all the prediction scores...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Ka-pi96 said:
kowenicki said:

roy deserves every bit of abuse that can reach him.

hmm, can't really agree with that. It's not fully his fault. I mean, who was it that decided to give him the job in the first place? They deserve some blame too!

Based on call ups, I always thought that the FA were the ones ultimately deciding and Hodgeson had to be the front man, coming up with excuses to why certain people weren't picked etc.  Hodgeson was ultimately just a coach, not a manager. 

Hmm, pie.

I blame Gary Neville..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

England should play in 4-5-1.