By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zenimax sues Oculus VR

How will they be able to pay the legal fees? ... oh wait.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

i dont understand WTH is going on. John Carmack joined the oculus team and he was helping out with the tech back when it wasnt even out yet. So did he join to scope it out so his company could sue? I was just reading about this tech on popular mechanics. Honestly i think this whole oculus thing is nothing amazing and they are giving Luckey to much credit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/562211

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:

i dont understand WTH is going on. John Carmack joined the oculus team and he was helping out with the tech back when it wasnt even out yet. So did he join to scope it out so his company could sue? I was just reading about this tech on popular mechanics. Honestly i think this whole oculus thing is nothing amazing and they are giving Luckey to much credit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/posts/562211

huh? no, zenimax alleges carmack was working a lot on oculus when he was still employed by zenimax. it's standard practice that the company you work for owns what you produce while working for them. thus, all the work carmack did while employed for zenimax, zenimax claims is their ip.

they probably have at least some type of point from what i can tell.

once oculus sold for 2 billion to fb, i'm sure zenimax got super interested. they want some of that money.

vivster said:
Now sit and wait for all people to jump to OR's defense without knowing what exactly went down.

Everyone knows exactly what went down.

Carmack gave an elaborate and satisfying overview of the situation. OR will be defended by people because there is no legal infringement. Zenimax is taking a fat chance.

How about you try find out what exactly went down?

Richard_Feynman said:
vivster said:
Now sit and wait for all people to jump to OR's defense without knowing what exactly went down.

Everyone knows exactly what went down.

Carmack gave an elaborate and satisfying overview of the situation. OR will be defended by people because there is no legal infringement. Zenimax is taking a fat chance.

How about you try find out what exactly went down?

Yes we heard from Carmack and he is such a nice guy and that's why we should all believe him. Zenimax is an evil corporation that just wants to do evil things so it's all lies what they're spouting. That's how you and everyone else sounds.

The only people who know what's going on are the parties involved and none of the parties are obligated to say the truth. So believing one party over the other is pure subjectivity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Yes we heard from Carmack and he is such a nice guy and that's why we should all believe him. Zenimax is an evil corporation that just wants to do evil things so it's all lies what they're spouting. That's how you and everyone else sounds.

The only people who know what's going on are the parties involved and none of the parties are obligated to say the truth. So believing one party over the other is pure subjectivity.

There is not a single line of code that belongs to Zenimax that's used in the OR source code.

Don't straw-man argument me.

Richard_Feynman said:
vivster said:

There is not a single line of code that belongs to Zenimax that's used in the OR source code.

Great point. And how long have you worked at id and Oculus VR?

vivster said:
Richard_Feynman said:
vivster said:

I don't need to work there since I have the source code right here on my computer. 

It doesn't take much savvy to realize that Carmack would've never, ever said that if it weren't true. He would *(knowingly) set himself and OR up for shame and most probably ensure the lawsuit would be successful.

And say what you want, but it takes more than a little savvy to come up with this:

http://www.codemaestro.com/reviews/9

A person smart enough to do that is most certainly smart enough to know what I said at the * above.

It's damn obvious man.

Richard_Feynman said:
vivster said:
Richard_Feynman said:
vivster said:

I don't need to work there since I have the source code right here on my computer. 

It doesn't take much savvy to realize that Carmack would've never, ever said that if it weren't true. He would *(knowingly) set himself and OR up for shame and most probably ensure the lawsuit would be successful.

And say what you want, but it takes more than a little savvy to come up with this:

http://www.codemaestro.com/reviews/9

A person smart enough to do that is most certainly smart enough to know what I said at the * above.

It's damn obvious man.

Yep. Smart men with giant legal departments behind them are always truthful and humble.

I'm not saying he is lying or that Zenimax are angels. It's  just silly for people who know nothing about the matter to instantly jump to a fixed conclusion they're defending to their death.