By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "Death Cross" for American Businesses

generic-user-1 said:
LiquorandGunFun said:
Its over regulation. Rules, rules, mandates, more rules, more bloated big government getting in the way. Too many unaccountable czars and bureaucrats making law on their own accord.

northern europe has much bigger governments and it works perfectly.

the us system is just broken. the wrong persons pay the taxes... u have to take the money from the rich, not from the poor.

and the election system is broken too. to much money in the game...

Not so.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/12/news/economy/rich-taxes/

Plus the poor dont pay as it is, they get a fat ass check every year and much more if they have some kids. Plus being on government programs your looking at shit load of dollars in tax money that is spent on few. There has to be an environment condusive for people to move up and make more money and we cant do that if they steal it from people and just hand it out and waste it on other shit.

I do agree that the election system needs reform as well as the financial part.

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:
Its over regulation. Rules, rules, mandates, more rules, more bloated big government getting in the way. Too many unaccountable czars and bureaucrats making law on their own accord.

Taxes continuing to go up, more people on food stamps than ever, more people on the government tit than actually working. 80 million not in the workforce. its no wonder something is going down. With all the red tape in a business and the militaristic IRS allover everyone, fuck starting a business these days.

91.8 million (not including the people who are trying to find a work otherwise that number is +100 million)..

Anyway I thought this was small business giving up against the big ones...

generic-user-1 said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

the us system is just broken. the wrong persons pay the taxes... u have to take the money from the rich, not from the poor.

Fun fact.   The US has much more progressive tax system then Northern Europe.

I know what your thining... "Direct" taxes.    Problem is, indirect taxes tend to be MORE regressive.   Like the VAT.

Generally speaking the more "Redistributive" a country you are... the more regressive your taxation.

NinjaguyDan said:
The economic problems of the late 70's were a result of Nixon's screwing around with the valuation of the dollar, the bill for the Vietnam fiasco coming due and serious uncertainty in the oil industry.

Next up: Reaganomics! I was there, I witnessed the whole thing in excruciating real-time.

In 1984, taxes on millions of low-wage workers went up to slightly offset tax cuts for the wealthy and a bloated military budget.
As you can see by the chart, the more affluent were able to start new businesses because they had more capital.
Those businesses failed because a sizable chunk of consumers had less money to spend on goods and services.

Pappy Bush punctuated the Reagan revolution (merely a comma) with a spike on the red and a dip on the green.

For the most part, (DINO, Republican Lite) Bill Clinton's policies were the least malignant while he was in office, he certainly shit the bed with NAFTA and Gramm Leach Bliley.

Dubya...
Cut taxes on the wealthy, invades TWO countries and handed out trillions of dollars to the banksters. Well? WHAT THE HELL DIDJA THINK WAS GONNA HAPPEN?

As shown in the graph, the crossover happened at the end of Dumbya's reign of error.

Obama's problem is twofold. First, he's a DINO Republican Lite, and second, his hands are tied due to congressional intransigence. (buncha fucking Koch whores)

I don't understand that whole regulation thing. How the hell does giving businesses the right to exploit workers and piss all over the planet improve the economy?

While I agree with most of your assessment, I have a couple of points to make:

1) "Being there" doesn't make a position stronger. In fact, it can make it worse. There are always people who have it rough in good times, and people who have it good in bad times, and personal experiences flavour the entire view of that time. My parents had it pretty well during 2008/2009, as did their friends, and immediate family. Everybody in their bubble was doing well - and this is how most people judge life, by assessing their immediate bubble.

This problem is made worse in a country like the USA, where it's a) very large and has a very diversified economy, and b) different levels of Government may have different directions of policy. Certain sectors that effect one part of the country (say, manufacturing) may be in a glut, but others - finance, entertainment, technology, may be exploding. As such, those living in Pittsburgh will have a completely different bubble to those living in San Francisco.

Also, those who are struggling in a failing city may be blaming the current federal policy, when it's actually a cause of decades-long state or city policy, or the other way around.

2) Not all regulations are about "exploitation". Regulations that control the water pressure in your toilet, the amount of leather in your shoes, the thickness of your toilet seat, the contents of your dishwasher tablets, are not exactly about worker exploitation. But they all come at costs. Regulations in the banking sector (where I work) do little to make the sector more stable, or improve worker or customer safety. What they're mostly about is adding up the costs so that compliance costs so much money that only the few super-banks can survive. Anybody smaller will die or will have to merge with a bigger fish.

Here's a post someone made on my Facebook, he works in construction, how much of this is about worker exploitation?

Here are the steps required for ConEd to bring in gas service to a new construction project. It would be comical if it weren't for all the dead-weight loss from the delays.

1. After the licensed plumber sends in all the documents certifying approval from various city agencies, and wait 2-3 weeks, the gas company will send a "field engineer" to survey the site. A "field engineer" is a glorified intern who checks out the site, take notes, and reports to a project manager.

2. Once the field engineer submits their report, a project manager will then come to the site (after another 2-3 week wait), and give you your options, which is often a choice between something you don't like, and something you want but will cost extra.

3. Once a plan is selected, the gas company's engineering department (real engineers) will produce official plans to submit to the building department (1-2 months).

4. Once the building department approves the plans and issues permits (1-2 months), you wait for the gas company to schedule for installation (another 1-2 months).

5. Ah, the day has finally arrived! Gas is being installed! Here's the fun part...

a. A surveyor will come to the site and mark up the path, along with underground utilities (so they don't hit something like a water main)

b. About a week later, a street cutter will come and saw-cut along the lines laid out by the surveyor.

c. About a week later, an excavation company will dig up the areas cut by the prior crew from B above, and cover with metal plates (different company as street cutter).

d. About a week later, the gas company's in-house plumbers will come and install the actual pipes.

e. About a week after that, the excavation company will return and fill in the hole.

f. About a week after that, a paving company and/or a concrete company will come to repair the street and/or sidewalk, respectively (separate company as the excavation company)

6. Once that's done, the Building Dept will inspect the property, and if passed, will issue authorization to install gas meters (2-4 weeks).

7. Once the building department authorizes the gas meters, gas company will do a redundant inspection (because they don't trust the building dept). 1-2 weeks.

8. Finally after all the above steps have been taken, they will come and install the meters.

Politicians are former corporate lawyers and investment bankers and they try and convince us all that Trickle down economics works and in the long run the economy will benefit from the tax cuts for the wealthy.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Call me crazy, but i'm not sure this chart actually tells us anything useful.

On it's face it looks like the economy is getting smaller?

I mean, should we expect businesses to grow forever?

Sure with population increasing we MIGHT expect businesses to keep growing, except for the fact that businesses increase as well.

I mean, Walmart has a bigger GDP then Norway.

Plus i mean look at that spread.   It's so low at  1979... despite 1979 just being an awful year for the economy.

No individual business should be able to grow forever, diseconomies of scale start to grow faster than economies of scale, causing a natural limit to the size of a business. Problem is that due to the large companies being able to offset their diseconomies of scale through cronyism and are growing way larger than businesses in a free market ever would. This is part of the point of the graph, consolidation of the economy into the hands of fewer and larger businesses, which shouldn't be happening (if number of businesses opening is falling, while businesses shutting down are rising, yet the economy is either stagnant or growing, you have consilidation).

generic-user-1 said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

Northern Europe is much less (about as) regulatory than the U.S. 

http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Denmark

Business Freedom - 98.1

Denmark’s regulatory environment remains one of the world’s most efficient. Starting a business takes only four procedures, and minimum capital requirements have been reduced. Relatively flexible hiring and dismissal regulations sustain an efficient labor market. Monetary stability is well established, but rents are controlled, and medications are heavily subsidized. In 2013, green energy subsidies were reduced.

Sweden

Business Freedom - 91.1

It takes three procedures and 16 days to incorporate a business, but completing licensing requirements can be time-consuming and costly. Bankruptcy procedures are straightforward. Labor regulations continue to be rigid, with the non-salary cost of hiring a worker considerable. Sweden’s agriculture minister has led a courageous fight to eliminate all European Union farm subsidies and let the markets dictate food prices.

United States

Business Freedom - 89.2

Incorporating a business takes five days on average, but the overall cost of meeting regulatory requirements has increased by over $60 billion since 2009, with more than 130 new regulations imposed. The labor market, primarily regulated at the state level, remains flexible. Price distortions, caused by government interventions such as monetary easing and substantial subsidies for agriculture, health care and other welfare programs, have increased

SamuelRSmith said:
Kasz216 said:

Call me crazy, but i'm not sure this chart actually tells us anything useful.

On it's face it looks like the economy is getting smaller?

I mean, should we expect businesses to grow forever?

Sure with population increasing we MIGHT expect businesses to keep growing, except for the fact that businesses increase as well.

I mean, Walmart has a bigger GDP then Norway.

Plus i mean look at that spread.   It's so low at  1979... despite 1979 just being an awful year for the economy.

No individual business should be able to grow forever, diseconomies of scale start to grow faster than economies of scale, causing a natural limit to the size of a business. Problem is that due to the large companies being able to offset their diseconomies of scale through cronyism and are growing way larger than businesses in a free market ever would. This is part of the point of the graph, consolidation of the economy into the hands of fewer and larger businesses, which shouldn't be happening (if number of businesses opening is falling, while businesses shutting down are rising, yet the economy is either stagnant or growing, you have consilidation).

I have a question though. Are we taking into account the new wave of business? I'm talking about the ebayers and the youtube celebs and the painters and such. Do we accurately know how many people sell things without reporting it? About a dozen of my friends do a variety of things from private tattooing, to furniture building, to selling paintings yet don't report themselves as self employed or owning a business. Who would blame them? Why would anyone want to report selling a 4000 dollar painting to the government? We live in a different world now. People make money in different ways. China, offshore manufacturing, and corporations have taken over the small businesses that provided goods, and we have become something of a service/media economy.

For example, me and this chick I know were shopping the other day, and ran across some boots. Cowboy boots to be exact. But have you seen the prices on them? They're not exactly cheap. But does anyone go into walmart and buy cheap cowboy boots? Sure, I bet some do, but probably out of necessity. What's really desirable in that market is hand-made all american authentic boots by an independent brand. We are paying for the work, not the product. Sure, we no longer make enough margin on the leather that goes into the boots. But we have something better. The American brand.

Now, you mentioned earlier something about blackmarket booming. I would agree with that. One of the main problems with a service economy is that there is no real paper trail. How would the government know if I mowed someone's lawn? They would certainly be able to track inventories, but as far as services, they can't track it. If the government wants things to be reported properly, they need to incentivize entrepreneurs to officially become businesses and give them a reason to choose to pay taxes on their earnings.