By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Over 100,000% inflation possible?

NYANKS said:
Appraently it is. I was not awarr that Germany was that bad during the inter-bellum period? Zimbabwe can use Germany as inspiration, then.

That is so wrong......

Around the Network

I wouldn't compare the plight of Germany in the thirties with what is happening in Zimbabwe as of present. Based on the above article it appears that the government fell into the classic white property pillage blunder. Which usually works in the short term for a few years, but eventually ruins many third world countries. Germany was a case of abusive reparations. The country still had wealth, and had prospects for external trade. Zimbabwe is in a much more difficult situation.

Zimbabwe is obviously no longer credit worthy. Without the ability to obtain credit they are stuck at the mercy of barter and nothing more. Credit requires collateral. Collateral is property usually land to guarantee repayment. Without guaranteed property rights your property is useless. Thus the country that invalidates property rights invalidates their own credit worthiness. They cannot be trusted to follow standard business practices. They could easily print up worthless money, or just say they don't have to pay. So why risk lending any money to the country or its citizens.

The reality is that the most important thing for a third world country to have is a legal system that secures property rights. Once a country has that they have something to borrow against. They have something to sell. They have something to lease. They have something to tax. Without that you really don't have anything your just a thug. Your money isn't worth anything, because there is nothing to back it up.

Anyway that might explain Zimbabwe. Which is a shame once something like that happens it takes decades to recover.

NYANKS said:
Appraently it is. I was not awarr that Germany was that bad during the inter-bellum period? Zimbabwe can use Germany as inspiration, then.
Haha, I don't think so.  We don't need a fourth Reich.

Didn't they have to invent a whole new mark that was basically worth many many old marks to solve the problem? Or was that another country? (Macroeconomics class is a little fuzzy now....can't....remember...)

SleepWaking said:
NYANKS said:

That is so wrong......

Haha!  I don't mean turn into Nazi's, just to use the fact that Germany was able to get out of their economic hardship to believe that they can!  lol! 

Kasz216 said:

Yeah the Zimbabwe situation sucks, and isn't going to get better anytime soon, since the strongest actions the UN has taken so far is that England was banning them from a Cricket tournament. Though since Zimbabwe was a founding country all that might of did was lost England hosting rights.

The UN doesn't do crap to help people and instead just acts as an excuse to prevent nations from actually doing anything. That's what happens when you let in all the brutal murdering despotic governments with everyone else.

Things are tough like that though, when your first elected president turns into a despotic insane lunatic.

It's a shame too... he was the one who most helped secure their independence... they voted for him, and find they were better off with the devil they didn't vote for.

Instead of training farmers and doing a slow removal of white people from the lands with skilled farmers they took the lands from the white people before training any farmers... and he gave all the land to himself and his followers... and now the lands remain fallow... because few have the knowledge to work them, and even those that do don't own the lands. Instead they have to live in shanty towns... or rather they did before they were demolished... despite the fact that the current president told them to go there in the first place. Probably because those who were most poor were of course those least happy with his rule, and it's much easier for him to control people in the country then it is united outside big cities.

The inability of the UN to intervene in various African crises has nothing to do with the presence of despotic nations in the UN. It has everything to do with no powerful member states having anything to gain from intervening in African crises.

The UN authorized interventions in Kosovo and Afghanistan because they were justified and because powerful member states (NATO in both cases) had an interest in intervening. The UN also authorized intervening in Somalia, which was a failure, largely because no powerful member states actually had security concerns which could be addressed with a successful intervention in Somalia. Since then, crisis after crisis have gone unanswered in Africa, not because they aren't justified missions, but because no powerful member state has anything to gain that's worth the price of another Somalia (or worse).

If such a state had an interest in trying to rescue Zimbabwe, you can bet that the UN would authorize the mission.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

yeah, germany in the 1923 wasn 't a nice place to live. Inflation was so bad that prices would double every 49 hours. The worst inflation in history occured in Hungary after the end of WWII. Inflation hit 4.19 x 1016%/month. (yeah, that's 42 quadrillion percent inflation per month. Note: I used American numerical names. It would be 42,000 billion percent using European numerical names.) At that rate, prices doubled every 15 hours. nice.

So while Zimbabwe's present rate of inflation is very bad, (the U.S. inflation rate is like 2.5-4%) things could be a lot worse.

more inflation records: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

NYANKS said:

I really don't think that's funny.

Choose one of the two: 

1) You have a very stupid taste of humor.

OR 

2) Your sick!

THE NETHERLANDS