By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Activision spending $500 million on Destiny

Sony really lucked out getting the Exclusive Marketing on this game then, the marketing budget must be Huge!

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
Sony really lucked out getting the Exclusive Marketing on this game then, the marketing budget must be Huge!

Lucked out? surely they paid for it...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Xenostar said:

Lucked out? surely they paid for it...

Well yes im sure they put some money in to get the deal, but with the amount of backing Acti is putting into this, i think there gonna do quite well from the deal. 

This should shift a good number of PS4's. 

I will go on record to say that this game will come just short of breaking even, but will make an enormous profit on the sequel which will come out 2 years after. The $500M is an investment for the whole generation, with sequels costing MUCH MUCH less.
BIG move for Activision; I think it will pay off.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

It's not really about how much they sell with the first one, it's about making a game that will come out yearly and sell well every year like Skylanders it's worth over a billion now. This 500mil is just a small amount if everything they have planned goes to plan.

Around the Network

This deserves some analysis.
thats quite a gamble. Im guessing the majority of that pricetag is going toward marketing. But bae, that is a huge amt of money. If I were at atvi id be feeling a little nervous.
ok so lets assume there are going to be at least a few dlc expansions...

My only conclusion is that there is going to be a lot of dlc in this game.
Atvi is not stupid. Hmmm

Iveyboi said:
I will go on record to say that this game will come just short of breaking even, but will make an enormous profit on the sequel which will come out 2 years after. The $500M is an investment for the whole generation, with sequels costing MUCH MUCH less.
BIG move for Activision; I think it will pay off.

Why would they release a sequel of an MMO after 2 years? It's called DLC and brings in a lot more money than creating a new game(even if it is just a sequel)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Wasn't one of the reasons Bungie left M$ to ease some of the constant pressure? With four consoles to develop for, much larger 'worlds' and articles like this just raising expectations they've got to be feeling the heat. I'm just hoping they get through this contract without a major meltdown.

I'm not seeing any positive point to this press release really. Pre-emptive damage control for shareholders? Reminds us what a big playah BK is though.

So that's where all those Call of Duty profits are going!

spurgeonryan said:
500 Million! So......just to technically break even it needs to sell 10 million units. That is not including retailers cut either. What about advertising? Movies do not usually include their advertising budget with the developing budget.

Time to release it on the Wii U as well. Make as much money as possible.

It's pretty much i the first sentence:

"Activision Blizzard Inc intends to spend $500 million developing and promoting "Destiny,"

It's already overhyped. Just imagine what would happen if they actually start to promote it wth that budget.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.