By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware talks Baldur's Gate 3

Incredible peice of new for anybody who's been a long term fan of Bioware.

It's a fairly lengthy read, but well worth it. At this point, it seems like its barely even in the initial stages of development. But, it IS in development--a nice change if you've been waiting for new like this for YEARS

from Kotaku:

We've missed you, Boo.

After releasing the sensational "Throne of Bhaal"conclusion to their acclaimed Baldur's Gate series, Canadian developer Bioware has largely let the series enjoy a comfortable retirement. The franchise did recieve two console installments, Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance 2, in 2001 and 2004 respectively, but Bioware had no hand in either's development, and they were hardly connected to the series beyond name.

But it looks like, after a long wait, the legion of Baldur's Gate fans will get what they've hardly dared to hope for. In a recent interview at the GDC, Co-President Ray Muzyka strongly hinted at the game's possible existence. These rumors were later credified when David Gaider, Bioware employee, decided to speak out about the game.

David Gaider worked on previous Baldur's Gate games, and more recently, led the design of Bioware RPG Dragon Age. Apparently, he'll be taking up the lead designer mantle again for Baldur's Gate 3. Gaider claimed that his work on Dragon Age helped inspire him to revive the classic franchise. "You, know, for a long time, I think we thought, it's better not to touch it," said Gaider. "It's clearly a very well loved game, and a lot of people here have been of the opinion that trying to do anything new with the franchise might tarnish its name."

"Working on Dragon Age these past few years, though, one thing has been made clear to me: If there's one type of game I love, its fantasy oriented ones in the epic vein of Baldur's Gate and Bioware. And so, I brought the idea up with Greg and Ray, and, after being initially a little apprehensive, they've finally decided to give it the go ahead."

When asked if he thought the recent merger with super-publisher EA had played a part in the decision, Gaider appeared unsure. "Well, obviously, this we way we're definely going to have a lot better funding," said Gaider. "But are you asking if EA pressured us into doing this? Definitely not. Bringing back Baldur's Gate is something we would only do on our own terms."

It's still very early on, but Gaider claims almost every reaction has been positive. "I've been getting overwhelming support from everyone who's heard about the idea," he admitted. "I just got back off the phone with Jim [Cummings] in fact, wondering if he would be able to reprise his role as Minsc." In the series, Minsc was a border-line insane beserker who carried around a rodent named "Boo" as his constant companion.

"So a release date? I don't think we can really even conjecture about that at this point. Right now its just me and a few other guys, jotting down ideas, sketching out concepts. That kind of thing. But is it coming? Defintely."

Good enough for us.

http://kotaku.com/35385/baldurs-gate-3-+-possible-for-2010

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

Awesome news! I sure hope so. I loved Baldur's Gate. Probably pc and consoles both.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

This would be sooo sweet!
Baldur's gate 2 is one of my alltime favourite games !

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!

LOL! You jerk!

You had to have done this just cause I pointed out in my profile I love things Zelda and Baldur's Gate. The link just took me to an article about a phone! I demand a working link!

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

Crap, you're right grey !
and i fell like a douche .... damn you all and your stupid fake news !! :(

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

yeah, sorry if you aren't grey and read this and were duped :p
though i think it was pretty obvious to him too, seeing as i put it up so fast

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Yep, that was pretty much the immediate dead giveaway. The lack of corresponding article only confirmed it. when I checked back and saw your comment in the Hyrule collection thread, it was the final nail in the coffin. Only reason I wasn't first replier to the thing was cause I was double checking all the links so I wouldn't look like a douche when I called you on it.
Though I will admit, the one thing that made me wonder for a bit was just HOW FAST you got that up. Did you copy and paste from somewhere with minor edits?

Either way, kudos for the attempt. It seriously made my day. Oh, and really, I am honestly sorry if I got your hopes up and dashed them. I've been having all of those ideas buzzing through my head and it was the only way to give myself any peace. If you were only irritated at the fake post, then I'm still sorry, just not as much so.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Enough with the fake news guys, save it for April 1st. ;>

Nah, I just wrote it right then. I must have been inspired or something by my dissapointment about zelda, lol.

And I didn't really mind the fake zelda thing that much after a few minutes