By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I was given a $10 psn card. what to buy?

Xenogears! Also to the post above yes mgs1 is $9.99.

Around the Network
KingWithNoKrown said:

A friend was nice enough to give me a $10 psn card. Since I dont have anything I want to buy in particular these are just a few of the games Im looking into. Would any of you recommend any of these titles?

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kazunoha vs the souless army  No

Trapt Maybe.  It's good at first, but all you do is lead enemies into traps.  This is a Deception game, it's just not called Deception.

Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity  Maybe, leaning towards no though.  It's an okay TRPG, but there are better games in the genre.

Mystic Heroes

Klonoa  Yes

I will gladly accept recommendations as well :) Just anything $10 or below thank you.

I've played them all except Mystic Heroes and my opinions of the games you listed are in bold.

Here are also recommendations of mine.  Only a few, and these are my top recommendations of anything on the PS Store, but first, not part of my top recommendations, but if you have PS+, Chrono Trigger is $3.49 right now and without PS+ Vagrant Story which to me I really don't recommend but it's only $2.99.

My recommendations though.

Arc the Lad 2.  Best TRPG that you can get on the PS Store.  Has 50-60+ hours of content if you do all the side quests, half of that if you're looking to just complete the game, monster taming system, great quest system.  Arc the Lad 2 does something unique a lot of TRPGs don't do.  It still plays like a TRPG, but it also has that regular RPG feel to it, where there are explorable  towns, explorable dungeons, etc, so moving around it's not just pointing and clicking on a new location, you're actually going to that location, actually exploring what's in that location, etc.  

This video is of an early part of Arc the Lad 2 shows the guild system and a few quests.  Some of the storyline early on.  You'll see the skill list at the persons current level of 17, so  imagine how it fills out at level 80 with each character.  On the video when you notice the music slowdown because of lag and does it every once and awhile.  That's not the game, that's the person emulating it on a very weak PC.  And the game isn't in widescreen despite being recorded stretched to wide.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i7EprU9AKk

Grandia.  Second best RPG, behind FF6, you can purchase on the PS Store.  Unique act system combat system.  It's like the realtime ATB from Final Fantasy except that when enemies or allies are in the act phase, certain attacks or skills can cancel their actions.  Also has a huge spell and special move system and a really good way to learn different spells. 

Here's a link to a battle of Grandia 2.  First one has better gameplay, but the person does a lot of different actions so you'll notice how the system works.  Take notice of the action bar at the bottom and you'll see why actions are done.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcZJPRHMuhk

God Hand.  Platinum Games former studio name, Clover Studios.  Now this game is hard, but an amazing beat em up.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyfbtSyX3mc