By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - GDC: More from Molyneux

rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
Wow, I knew Molyneux was an arrogant liar, but now he's trying to talk about sales in markets he doesn't understand (PC). I don't mind his Wii attacking that much. That's just where is paycheck comes from. So his character traits so far are arrogance, lying, and ignorance. Man Molyneux is such a great guy.

Why wouldn't Molyneux understand the PC market? That's where he spent most of his career.

But he is an arrogant ass, that is indisputable.

Are you kidding? He was completely called out by Eurogamer. He admitted he had little knowledge of Steam. The only PC games he knew anything about were Popcap stuff, The Sims, and WoW, and he was even misinformed on those. Popcap now sells their games on, that's right, Steam! Molyneux hasn't made a PC game for 7 years, and as such has had no real knowledge of or connection to the modern PC market. He didn't even make the Fable PC port. Microsoft did it.

Edit:  And the last PC game he made himself, Black & White, really sucked.   

Around the Network
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:
Wow, I knew Molyneux was an arrogant liar, but now he's trying to talk about sales in markets he doesn't understand (PC). I don't mind his Wii attacking that much. That's just where is paycheck comes from. So his character traits so far are arrogance, lying, and ignorance. Man Molyneux is such a great guy.

Why wouldn't Molyneux understand the PC market? That's where he spent most of his career.

Are you kidding? He was completely called out by Eurogamer. He admitted he had little knowledge of Steam. The only PC games he knew anything about were Popcap stuff, The Sims, and WoW, and he was even misinformed on those. Popcap now sells their games on, that's right, Steam! Molyneux hasn't made a PC game for 7 years, and as such has had no real knowledge of or connection to the modern PC market. He didn't even make the Fable PC port. Microsoft did it.

Edit: And the last PC game he made himself, Black & White, really sucked.

Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the PC market as a whole, not the digital distribution models that have popped up in the past few years.

BTW, Molyneux last made a PC game in 2006. It was an expansion for B&W2. His last full PC game was in 2005, B&W2.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I knew the man made claims he never lived up too, but Ihad no idea that Peter Molyneux was a douche too.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

rocketpig said:

Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the PC market as a whole, not the digital distribution models that have popped up in the past few years.

BTW, Molyneux last made a PC game in 2006. It was an expansion for B&W2. His last full PC game was in 2005, B&W2.

Ah, I forgot about B&W2, though again it was before digital distribution channels like Steam really took off.  I probably blocked out B&W2, as it was even worse than B&W (which I thought was impossible at the time).  It's hilarious, because Black & White's Gamerankings average is a 90%, but it's user review average is a 7.2, and it's appeared on nearly every "most overrated games of all time" list.  That has to be the most hated 90% + game ever, except maybe FFXII.  Man it was awful.  

This is probably where he got World of Warcraft and The Sims from...

Top 10 PC Games of 2007
1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade – (Vivendi) – 2.25 million
2. World of Warcraft– (Vivendi) – 914K
3. The Sims 2 – (Electronic Arts) – 534K
4. The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack – (Electronic Arts) – 433K
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare – (Activision) – 383K
6. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars – (Electronic Arts) – 350K
7. MS Age of Empires III – (Microsoft) – 313K
8. Sim City 4 - (Electronic Arts) – 294K
9. MS Flight Simulator X - (Microsoft) - 280K
10.The Sims 2: Bon Voyage Expansion Pack – (Electronic Arts) – 272K

As for Steam do we know if Valve has the lion's share of sales on there?  If so then maybe he should have said World of Warcraft, The Sims, and Valve.  id Software is on Steam and has been pretty vocal about poor PC sales.

Also I seem to remember reading where two strategy games with very good reviews are being ported to console because of poor PC sales.  As well as Infinity Ward saying they were amazed at how many PC gamers were pirating Call of Duty 4.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
rocketpig said:

Ah, I forgot about B&W2, though again it was before digital distribution channels like Steam really took off. I probably blocked out B&W2, as it was even worse than B&W (which I thought was impossible at the time). It's hilarious, because Black & White's Gamerankings average is a 90%, but it's user review average is a 7.2, and it's appeared on nearly every "most overrated games of all time" list. That has to be the most hated 90% + game ever, except maybe FFXII. Man it was awful.

I didn't hate B&W and thought there were several pretty cool features in the game.

With that said, fuck-all did that game get boring fast. I tried to play it three or four times and every time after an hour or two, I would get bored and quit. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

He may be exagerating because he's so exited about the game, but it does look good imo. It's one of the only non Japanese RPG I play and I find it very interesting. Especially that now there's a co-op mode in Fable 2 (video and article on IGN). I'm looking forward playing this game with my bf! ^_^

naznatips said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:

Edit: And the last PC game he made himself, Black & White, really sucked.

Yeah.  It took me years to give away Black and White.  Man that game sucked.  Populus was fun though.

Legend11 said:
This is probably where he got World of Warcraft and The Sims from...

Top 10 PC Games of 2007
1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade – (Vivendi) – 2.25 million
2. World of Warcraft– (Vivendi) – 914K
3. The Sims 2 – (Electronic Arts) – 534K
4. The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack – (Electronic Arts) – 433K
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare – (Activision) – 383K
6. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars – (Electronic Arts) – 350K
7. MS Age of Empires III – (Microsoft) – 313K
8. Sim City 4 - (Electronic Arts) – 294K
9. MS Flight Simulator X - (Microsoft) - 280K
10.The Sims 2: Bon Voyage Expansion Pack – (Electronic Arts) – 272K

As for Steam do we know if Valve has the lion's share of sales on there? If so then maybe he should have said World of Warcraft, The Sims, and Valve. id Software is on Steam and has been pretty vocal about poor PC sales.

Also I seem to remember reading where two strategy games with very good reviews are being ported to console because of poor PC sales.

Nice job Legend. You just used NPD to analyze the entire PC market, made up some total bull about id Software, and then added your own random speculation about the reasoning for 360 ports.

First of all, Carmack claimed the PC market was still strong, and he would continue to support it. While he also said it was being driven by World of Warcraft, he didn't say that was the only thing selling, and clearly he doesn't believe that if he'll continue to support it.

I've already told you it's ridiculously stupid to base the entire PC market off of NPD. Even if Steam didn't exist at all, most of the PC market exists outside of North America. I know it's hard for some people to understand that America isn't the end all be all of the gaming community, but it's not. Korea is the largest online multiplayer gaming market in the world, and they play PCs practically exclusively. Europe and Asia are both far stronger PC markets (not counting the UK and Japan).

Also, I'm sure Valve's games are the best selling things on Steam, but that's not really surprising is it? Half-life and Half-life 2 are among the best selling PC games ever... it's only logical that they would sell well on Steam. It's not like Valve are the only ones who claim the PC market is healthy either. Will Wright, DFC Intelligence, and of course Mark Rein and the other members of the PC alliance all claim the PC market is currently healthy and growing. If you suddenly think that you and apparently Peter Molyneux know more about the PC market than all these people, more power to you, but I'll trust the people who are actually part of developing for the modern PC industry.

Yeah Will Wright is a good person to use, afterall his company is responsible for The Sims, you may as well mention someone from Blizzard as well. As for Mark Rein he had an interview on February 7th in which he stated consoles were taking gamers away from PC.

As for NPD, the biggest market in the World is a very important one. You mention outside North America but besides South Korea, Germany, Denmark and Sweden how many other countries are strong for PC game markets? Eastern Europe and Asia where piracy is rampant?

Also the two strategy games being ported to console because of poor PC sales isn't speculation. I'll find the article and post a link to it here.