By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 games and the lack of 1080p

I spent this weekend with a friend who wants to get a new HD TV and a PS3 (all his freinds have Wii or 360).  We spent much time looking at prices, screen sizes and discussing the various features etc.

Anyway he was keen on a 32in screen largely due to cost and the fact that PS3 does not do games in 1080p. (most 32in screen do not do 1080p)

At which point I went WTF of course PS3 does games in 1080p.

No they don't, he says, look at the game boxes.

So that afternoon we went into several shops and looked at the PS3 games and sure enough hardly any were in 1080p.  Even new exclusives like Drakes Fortune and Ratchet and Clank were all 720p, all I can remember was that COD4 was in 1080p.  There were also many titles on 360 that were in 1080p but 720p only on PS3.

I am totally shocked by this!!!!  I had assumed that nearly all PS3 games were 1080p!!

Why are they few games in 1080p on PS3?

Around the Network

ps3 games untill now are all tests the real power will come when developers will understand the power of the cell

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Since when does the 360 have 1080p titles?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

zackblue said:
Since when does the 360 have 1080p titles?

Since it had its first 1080p title :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Call of Duty 4 is 600p native, scaled up to 1080p.

The reason is that every function of the frame buffer memory (from coloring, to Z buffering, to anti-aliasing) requires watching every single pixel on screen. Thus higher resolution means more memory is used.

Any game for the 360 and PS3 can be in 1080p. It would just not be practical for all of them. It would be better to use that memory for the texture buffer.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Since when does the 360 have 1080p titles? (2)

You won't be seeing multiplatform games on 1080p, but it's sad to know that uncharted and ratchet are 720p, i think only a few first party games. Only 1080p game i have here is Lair (yeah, i know).

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

I thought only blu ray could make 1080p

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

I think there are NO native 1080p title released so far on PS3 or Xbox360

all the titles are upscaled

Even GT5pro is upscaled I think

but seriously, who cares ...

Time to Work !

Thats stupid. If I was Sony or M$ I would be trying to be different from the Wii and trying to get the most from my console.

Uncharted is only 720p

Well, color me surprised. I wonder how good it will be in 1080p
(I know, I am excellent at PR Spin!)