By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD R9 295X2 Specs Out: GTX Titan Z Killer!

torok said:
Soleron said:

Basically, multi-GPU setups can produce more frames, but they'll come out like this: 10ms, 10ms, 10ms, 50ms, 10ms, 10ms ...

And that gives a worse image quality to the viewer than the following: 12ms, 12ms, 12ms, 12ms,  12ms, 12ms. Even though the first card has higher FPS, the second card will look better to a human.

So the 99% measure shows in how long you can expect 99% of frames to be rendered, rather than the average. For smooth framerates, that comes out to the same thing as raw FPS. But if they're more like the first situation I said, it's a better measure of the experience.

Video of actual cards: http://techreport.com/review/24051/geforce-versus-radeon-captured-on-high-speed-video

Full explanation (long): http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking

More testing on it: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Dissected-Full-Details-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Tes-12

Wow, that was a complete answer and the links and explanation was great. I never tought about latency problems, but it looks like they are actually an issue. I'm not surprised that NVidia GPUs perform better on that than AMD ones, since the NVidia driver is much more mature (they actually share more than 80% of the code between Windows, Mac and Linux version, minimizing maintenance efforts, allowing a closer performance between each OS).

Again, AMD solved those issues a while ago.  Often times now AMD has less latency problems than Nvidia cards.  But it's ok, some people still think Xbox One can't play used games...

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:

Again, AMD solved those issues a while ago.  Often times now AMD has less latency problems than Nvidia cards.  But it's ok, some people still think Xbox One can't play used games...

Well, in this case, things are even better and maybe latency problems are done for good (except on SLI/Crossfire setups were things are more complicated). Considering that consoles are now AMD only, it's good news for everyone. Do you have links for more recent tests for latency?

torok said:
Captain_Tom said:

Well, in this case, things are even better and maybe latency problems are done for good (except on SLI/Crossfire setups were things are more complicated). Considering that consoles are now AMD only, it's good news for everyone. Do you have links for more recent tests for latency?

LOL they were fixed in single cards years ago.  They were fixed in SLI/Xfire recently.  Here:

http://www.techspot.com/review/802-amd-radeon-r9-295x2/page4.html

Many of the crossfire set-ups had less latency than SINGLE cards!!!  This is likely due to them struggling less than the weaker set-ups.  Essentially Crossfire is now mature enough that I might use it!  However it still seems like SLI and Crossfire depend on perfect drivers a little too much.  I don't like the idea of even one game getting no scailing.  How I see it there needs to be a way to manually force at least 50% scailing in ALL games...

Captain_Tom said:
torok said:
Captain_Tom said:

LOL they were fixed in single cards years ago.  They were fixed in SLI/Xfire recently.  Here:

Many of the crossfire set-ups had less latency than SINGLE cards!!!  This is likely due to them struggling less than the weaker set-ups.  Essentially Crossfire is now mature enough that I might use it!  However it still seems like SLI and Crossfire depend on perfect drivers a little too much.  I don't like the idea of even one game getting no scailing.  How I see it there needs to be a way to manually force at least 50% scailing in ALL games...

The main issue people had (Me included) was with the darn Microstutter!

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:
torok said:
Captain_Tom said:

I never noticed it that much TBH (Unless it was awful of course).

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:
torok said:
Captain_Tom said:

Well, it was *really* bad with the 6900 series.
Then I had it with Crossfire 7970's, thus I dropped in a 3rd card which actually helped eliminate it.

Today it's not much of a drama.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:
Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:
torok said:
Captain_Tom said:

Well, it was *really* bad with the 6900 series.
Then I had it with Crossfire 7970's, thus I dropped in a 3rd card which actually helped eliminate it.

Today it's not much of a drama.

I had some issues with 6950 CF, and then I realized one of my x16 slots only was running at x1!!!  Funny thing is I still got 50-80% scailing in most games...