By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Quantum computers effecting gaming.

Don't post if you don't know what quantum computers are. When quantum computers become mainstream in about 20 years( my estimate) how do you think that will effect gaming in graphics Ai and physics. I already know that the AI would rival the human brain when quantum computers are produced. Graphics would look almost super realistic imo and physics would be alot more powerful than what we have now probaly 1000x but not real world physics seeing as real world physics require 1000-10,000 computers to generate and millions if you are doing extreme physics such as determine how supernovae work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer the quantum computers wikipedia.  

Around the Network

actually the first quantum computer might actually be out before 2014. fyi

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
actually the first quantum computer might actually be out before 2014. fyi

Wow that seems so soon for a quantum pc. Hopefully if they work hard enough on it we may get one by then. 

I don't know what impact on gaming they will have, but hopefully they will make the Star Trek holodeck (sp?) a reality.

However, as for their time frame, I read a few years ago that they had made a major breakthrough on the last important peice. Storage. Apparently they were able to stop light for a fraction of a second in a crystal. I remember the article stated that storage, i.e. being able to indefinitely stop light, was the last major obstacle.

Either way it'll be pretty nice. Hell, i just stepped up to dual processor's tonight. SSJ12 you will be happy to note that I will be putting the new PC you helped my pick out together tonight. :) It'll be a great night.

Considering the amount of time it has taken 64bit computing to take off in homes, don't expect quantum computing to make it into homes that quickly. At least not on microsoft OS's. Linux, BSD's are maybe. They're my only solution to 64-bit computing.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Don't post if you don't know what quantum computers are. When quantum computers become mainstream in about 20 years( my estimate) how do you think that will effect gaming in graphics Ai and physics. I already know that the AI would rival the human brain when quantum computers are produced. Graphics would look almost super realistic imo and physics would be alot more powerful than what we have now probaly 1000x but not real world physics seeing as real world physics require 1000-10,000 computers to generate and millions if you are doing extreme physics such as determine how supernovae work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer the quantum computers wikipedia.

That is absolute bollocks.

Even if it were theoretically possible, it would still require someone to actually program the AI routines. It's not going to happen in the scientific field within the next 20 years and it sure as shit ain't gonna happen in the field of videogames!

If you watch this video it says it may also surpass the human brain also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUMXe9gh7c&eurl=http://www.videosift.com/video/Quantum-computers-Potentially-smarter-than-the-human-brain

Machines, (In this case computers) no matter how fast they are, they are still dumb machines, they need routines to perform some task... maybe they are going to excel in some cases, but IA is very young to believe that in some moment(10-20 years) a machine will be smarter than a human been...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Quantum computers are an interesting thing, but it seems no one here really knows the purpose or the use of them (i didn't read all posts fully though).

Quantum computing will never take over as the standard of computing like the current computers can.

It is a different architecture and is millions of times more complicated to program for that current computing methods.

It will only ever be a support tool for current processors for complicated maths calculations and most of the use of quantum computing will be in scientific fields... personal use is far further off and is not practical or really needed for use with any practical operations. All it really does is allows a computer to process quantum level mathematics very quickly (ie, something that might take a current computer hundreds of hours (such as finding the next iteration of PI) a Quantum computer might crank through something like that in less than a second.

^ Actually in about 30 years current computers are going to reach their limit and we may have to change to quantum computers.